vCash

Igor Sphilband= Coach of the Year

Who wouldn't agree that Igor deserves to be named Coach of the Year?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Cat View Post
    Who wouldn't agree that Igor deserves to be named Coach of the Year?
    marina zoueva
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    marina zoueva
    That was quick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    marina zoueva

vCash
    Igor *Shpilband* , myabe.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    My vote is either for Frank Carroll for Denis Ten's amazing transformation, or for John Nicks for AshleyWagner's sustained #1 position in U.S. women and successful attempt to get 3 spots for US women in Sochi!

vCash
    Hey, Igor started without any students except Tobias & Stagniunas and Chock & Bates and no rink.

He then attracted a large group of students, Marina Klimova & Barbara Fusar-Poli as associates, and managed a number of really good achievements:

1. Chock & Bates went from 5th place at US Nationals to 7th at Worlds, and winners of WTT, bronze medalists at 4CC's.
    2. C&L won a bronze small medal for their FD, their first Euros medal, 4th at Worlds (their highest placement)
    3. He's had the Reeds a very short time, and he somehow got Chris Reed to stand up on twizzles in both the SD and FD at WTT.
    4. Carron & Jones placed much better this year at Worlds (although they were a dead loss at WTT)

So yeah, Igor. He made more of a difference for more teams and started with nothing but a formerly good reputation with scars from the Canton firing.
    Heck yeah.

vCash
    Are we talking about the PSA's Coach of the Year award? If so, isn't it a USFS award, and based on accomplishments coaching U.S. skaters? If so, John Nicks, Tom Z, or Marina would be more obvious choices this year. I do think Igor has done an amazing job with the teams he's coached, but in the past, the award always seems to go to the coaches of nat'l champs/world medalists/world champs.

vCash
    Yes, I'm sure that the PSA coach of the year award won't be Igor; I just think his recovery & this year's achievements have been remarkable.

vCash
    Zueva and Nicks tie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Hey, Igor started without any students except Tobias & Stagniunas and Chock & Bates and no rink.

He then attracted a large group of students, Marina Klimova & Barbara Fusar-Poli as associates, and managed a number of really good achievements:

1. Chock & Bates went from 5th place at US Nationals to 7th at Worlds, and winners of WTT, bronze medalists at 4CC's.
    2. C&L won a bronze small medal for their FD, their first Euros medal, 4th at Worlds (their highest placement)
    3. He's had the Reeds a very short time, and he somehow got Chris Reed to stand up on twizzles in both the SD and FD at WTT.
    4. Carron & Jones placed much better this year at Worlds (although they were a dead loss at WTT)

So yeah, Igor. He made more of a difference for more teams and started with nothing but a formerly good reputation with scars from the Canton firing.
    Heck yeah.
    Agreed. He started with practically nothing, other than his name. He is rebuilding his reputation as a coach from ground zero. He has achieved success in a very short time.

vCash
    Nina Mozer, Stansilav Morozov and Marina Zueva

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

Heck yeah.
    Yup. I am very impressed with Igor this year. What a way to pick up the pieces and prove his relevance.

There were wonderful coaching stories this year- Zhulin transforming B/S, Carroll sticking with Ten to a glorious result, Dickson leading Alex Johnson's ressurgence, Nicks keeping Wagner strong... but I'd happily agree with Shpilband and C/B being one of the wonder stories.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    PSA Coach of the Year, I think, will be Marina Zoueva.

vCash
    Igor didn't have to rebuild his reputation, he had to rebuild his skating school. It is his reputation that helped him successfully rebuild so quickly.

I agree he and his skaters had a great year. Igor seemingly did not miss a beat.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    I would give coach of the year, for the US skaters, to John Nicks, personally, for what he's done with Wagner the past two seasons.