Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 236
  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    564
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Didn't there used to be a cheesefest competition after worlds?
    Nope. Apparently Chan needs to take the competition more seriously...

    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    ...Yes, the skaters were all tired, but some do take WTT more seriously than others. It is not just an opportunity to make money....it is an opportunity to obtain a SB score, and for those athletes who did not participate at Worlds, it is a one more chance to get out in front of international panels one more time in the current season, hopefully making a good impression leading into an Olympic qualifying year...

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    23,082
    vCash
    80943
    Rep Power
    91368
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Didn't there used to be a cheesefest competition after worlds?
    Bring back the Marshalls World Cup of Skating!

  3. #103
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,036
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    43699
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Didn't there used to be a cheesefest competition after worlds?
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Nope.
    There most definitely was a cheesefest held in the U.S. after worlds (back in the day when the U.S. had more skating sponsors). For example, this 2004 event, which featured Plushy, Joubi-doo, Arakawa, and Ando, among others. And I don't recall any of them complaining.

    Back to Chan - he may have great skating skills, but he definitely lacks public relations skills. Frankly, he comes across as a whiny, spoiled brat. But as awful as WTT trophy was for him, and as much of a hardship as he found it, I bet he's still planning to cash that check.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  4. #104

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    Here's my (harsh) two cents:

    The skaters that are skating in WTT--and complaining about it--need to suck it up and stop whining. The skating season is what it is and, if they are serious about competing, they need to commit to the ENTIRE season, without complaint. Team events are now in the Olympics, making WTT even more important.

    Individuals, in any field, are not in a position to believe that a job, an art, a sport, etc., works on THEIR terms. As a manager of opera singers (who are known to be divas), I'm constantly asked things such as "they put my audition at 10:00 a.m. and I don't like singing in the morning, can you have them change it to later?" Or, "they want me for three rehearsals, but I just want to go to one--tell them I'll be there for the dress rehearsal." (These are just two instances of many.) And my answer is always, "Umm... no. Once you're in the game, you're in it on someone else's terms, not yours. You're the one who wants the career, the artistic experience and all the glory that comes with it. When you decide not to appreciate it, others decide that you're simply too much of a high-maintenance piece to work to deal with. Be professional, do your job and avoid complaining unless it's absolutely necessary. The powers that be will love you for it and will spread the word about how wonderful you are."

    Rant over. Now I will try to return to my sunny self.
    Last edited by skateboy; 04-14-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    99
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well said, WTT is a joke anyway.

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    I don't take WTT seriously, however, I think that style of competition could be a way to get new fans into the sport. The competition itself if more fun, and you see a lot more of the skaters personalities.

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    I find the hypocrisy on these boards laughable. As already mentioned, Chan isn't saying anything others have not previously questioned. Someone at GS even started a thread called "Should the World Team Trophy be held earlier in the season". Trying to twist every Chan comment into something negative, demonstrates how some people are unable to separate their hate from rational logic. If it had been Takahashi who made the comment, I suspect these same posters would totally agree.
    Taka did say that it was incredibly difficult mentally and physically to prepare for this event. Some equated this with Chan's statement and faulted him. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. If it was difficult for him, it was difficult, so what is wrong with saying so.

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, this may have been the last WTT held. If so, Patrick will never have a reason to complain again.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    It was announced that the next WTT will be held in Japan in 2015.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    354
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Will Patrick continue after Sochi? Has he said anything?

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It was announced that the next WTT will be held in Japan in 2015.
    Did they? Well, I bet their Federation is shxxxing in their pants wondering how they are going to finance it. There will likely be no Team Japan, let alone Takahashi, Suzuki, Mao. Even with Takahashi participating last year, some tickets were unsold because Mao didn't participate.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    354
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    Did they? Well, I bet their Federation is shxxxing in their pants wondering how they are going to finance it. There will likely be no Team Japan, let alone Takahashi, Suzuki, Mao. Even with Takahashi participating last year, some tickets were unsold because Mao didn't participate.
    Maybe the big Japanese stars could still somehow compete at this event even though they are "retired"? I'm sure the Japanese Fed could fix the rules so. And people would buy even more tickets cause it would be a unique opportunity to see for example Mao competing again?

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Maybe the big Japanese stars could still somehow compete at this event even though they are "retired"? I'm sure the Japanese Fed could fix the rules so. And people would buy even more tickets cause it would be a unique opportunity to see for example Mao competing again?
    Well, crowd-pulling stars would be Arakawa. She still skates beautifully but she will be two years older in 2015. Takahashi has indicated he is not interested in doing shows after he retires. Mao, who know? Maybe she will, maybe she won't. But even Mao would not be such a pull because she'd already be in other shows that people could go and see.

  15. #115

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    [moved post to a more relevant thread]
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  16. #116

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    Well said, WTT is a joke anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    Well, this may have been the last WTT held. If so, Patrick will never have a reason to complain again.
    Why so much hatred against WTT? After the 2014 Olympics it could be considered a serious event. As fans, we get to see more skating, past WC. I would rather watch WTT than the cheesefests they have been televising in the USA for the last several years- I stopped watching cheesefests long ago. WTT is serious skating, with skaters skating their WC level programs. I am sure WTT will need some tweaking (I started a poll about this, but not many have commented on it) to find a way to make it more attractive and be perceived as a serious competition, but it doesn't mean it should be abandoned entirely in its infancy.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In an ideal world
    Posts
    2,954
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am sure WTT will need some tweaking (I started a poll about this, but not many have commented on it) to find a way to make it more attractive and be perceived as a serious competition, but it doesn't mean it should be abandoned entirely in its infancy.
    I hope WTT continues as long as skaters' participation is NOT mandatory. Or it should go.
    Last edited by midori; 04-14-2013 at 05:16 PM.

  18. #118

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1913
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    I hope WTT continues as long as skaters participants are NOT mandatory. Or it should go.
    With $200,000 as the top prize for the first place team(and a total of $1million given out), I think there is too much money involved to have anyone but the top skaters show up. That's an insane amount of money IMO.

    I'm actually surprised skaters aren't more appreciative of the opportunity considering the ramifications it involves. IMO competitions like WTT are helping non Asian skaters earn name recognition and fans in countries like Japan, South Korea and China. Skating is red hot in Asia right now and putting their faces in front of the television audience is probably helping a lot of these skaters get invited to shows and exhibitions overseas. The fact that so many skaters are willing to travel the distance tells me they are getting paid a pretty penny to do so. I'd be rearranging my schedule to fit this competition in and get some some rest time after.

    This competition has been around a few years now and at this point if someone doesn't want to go, then they should start readying their excuses early. A sore back, ankle, hip, or shoulder excuse would probably work just fine. Can't skate until mid May because of some penalty? Too bad, you're tired anyway and you probably want to prepare the for the next season. Take advantage and rest up!
    JMO

  19. #119
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,589
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    With $200,000 as the top prize for the first place team(and a total of $1million given out), I think there is too much money involved to have anyone but the top skaters show up. That's an insane amount of money IMO.

    I'm actually surprised skaters aren't more appreciative of the opportunity considering the ramifications it involves. IMO competitions like WTT are helping non Asian skaters earn name recognition and fans in countries like Japan, South Korea and China. Skating is red hot in Asia right now and putting their faces in front of the television audience is probably helping a lot of these skaters get invited to shows and exhibitions overseas. The fact that so many skaters are willing to travel the distance tells me they are getting paid a pretty penny to do so. I'd be rearranging my schedule to fit this competition in and get some some rest time after.

    This competition has been around a few years now and at this point if someone doesn't want to go, then they should start readying their excuses early. A sore back, ankle, hip, or shoulder excuse would probably work just fine. Can't skate until mid May because of some penalty? Too bad, you're tired anyway and you probably want to prepare the for the next season. Take advantage and rest up!
    JMO

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The complaining in this sport sometimes gets to be ridiculous.
    I think maybe Chan gets a little too much of the princess treatment in Canada that's led him develop a sort of spoiled air of entitlement. But IMO it doesn't really matter whether Chan is fairly perceived as too much of a complaining Divo who needs to STFU and skate a clean program once in a while, he still raises a good point.

    If the ISU requires participating federations to send "top skaters" why are some skaters allowed to back out of this event while others are not? My first thought was that Davis/White & Virtue/Moir were allowed out because those countries both have other high-ranked dance teams available to send, but that reasoning doesn't seem to have been applied elsewhere.

    If Chan didn't want to go, Canada could have sent Reynolds (5th at the just completed Worlds). Someone mentioned upthread that Trankov also would have preferred not to go, so I'm thinking the Russians could have sent Kavaguti/Smirnov or Bazarova/Larionov (6th and 7th at Worlds).

    Then, I thought it made good sense for Canada to let V/M out as Tessa seemed to be battling her muscle syndrome toward season's end and could probably use the break. Maybe USFS lets D/W stay home since their main rivals for OGM next year are staying home. But the German pair is not there, nor are Ten and Fernandez, so obviously that is not everyone's logic.

    Maybe it's simply that USFS does not make skaters go who do not want to be there while other feds do (excepting skaters with injury issues). Do Canada and Russia simply take this event more seriously and make more of an effort to win or at least place well?

    Didn't there used to be a cheesefest competition after worlds?
    There did used to be a USFS cheesefest after Worlds, but I don't remember eligible skaters from other countries participating. There were pro skaters from other countries involved in some of these. (I remember a debate about USFS paying an appearance fee to Viktor Petrenko for participation in either the fall or spring USFS cheesefest.)

    I think these ended over a decade ago, so Chan would not have been involved with them.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •