Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Are you f'g kidding? Megastar pro players (esp basketball) complain about everything - it's too hot, it's too cold, my equipment failed, I have a hangnail, my injury isn't healed 100%, I have new shoes, my teammates let me down, I've been on the road too long, the hotel had bad beds, etc etc ad nauseum. If they stub their toes it becomes a top news story & they have excuses for every loss. I was watching the World Series once & there were grown men boo-hooing in the losing locker room who were nit-picking every call & every play & whining about everything.
    The examples you are using are extremely rare. I am a regular sports fan of many sports, not just FS. I have always admired how the players play through pain, tough schedules, and other problems. I have seen them play half a season - may be longer- with broken bones, separated shoulders, and many others. Sure they (pros) get their chartered flights, so they don't face the same inconveniences some other athletes that have, flying commercial, but it's rare to hear pro athletes say many of the things you wrote. You must not be watching other sports much; just picking one player out of 10,000 and quoting what you quote. In my decades of watching sports I have never heard an athlete 'complain' about bad beds or new shoes (FS understandably are affected by new skates). If you watched team sports regularly you will see that they rarely make excuses for their losses. They may mention fatigue occasionally, but not in the way you are quoting them.

Blergh
    vCash
    Yes, different words have different meanings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    But I think saying stupid things in the past (which I agree Chan has) doesn't in fact mean that everything he says is stupid or wrong.

That said, complaining about the lack of preparation time for this event is rather amusing, given that he's basically skated really poorly all year. WTT wasn't even his worst SP (Skate Canada) or LP (Japan Open) from last season.
    Not necessarily. His comment in this case is neither stupid not wrong, but it is ill-timed. After a bad skate, it comes across as whining because he did not win- whether it was intended or not. Had he skated relatively well, won, and then mentioned fatigue, bad timing for this competition, etc., it would have had a different flavor. He could have made the comment before the competition and it wouldn't have created waves. Other skaters were just as tired as he was, and they would have gotten collective sympathy instead of Chan being singled out after a loss. His comments do get more attention because he has won 3 world titles, and some of his wins (in the last 3 years, including GPs) were not totally agreeable to fans. Again, it was not his fault that the judges gave him those marks, but it does draw attention every time he makes mistakes. If he learns to be more diplomatic in his public comments, he will be respected rather than resented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post

I am so sick and tired of some figure skating fans expecting these athletes to be politically correct all the time and nitpick every sentences out of a skater's mouth then quickly label him in a negative light. That's why Figure Skating is so niche, because it's a sport where you have to be princes and princesses.
    Oh please. Other sports get dissected every which way on ESPN, Fox Sports etc. Pick up the sports section in your newspaper or online. Figure skating is just like any other sport that has fans that pick at what a skater says and does. It doesn't matter how talented you are or what sport you play, you aren't going to get brownie points for being "honest." If you make a dumb(perception is everything) comment, expect to get called out on it.

If Lebron James can take it, so can Patrick Chan.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From the Japan Times (English language) article: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2...s-competition/
    “It’s very frustrating to end the season like this,” said Chan. “We don’t really have a choice for this event. My reason for coming here was for the team.”

Chan implied that fatigue was a factor in his poor performance this night.

“I had such a great season with the world championships in Canada, and it is hard to travel all the way here,” he stated. “My body is just not happy competing at this time of year. I would prefer to be getting ready for the Olympics.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not necessarily. His comment in this case is neither stupid not wrong, but it is ill-timed. After a bad skate, it comes across as whining because he did not win- whether it was intended or not. Had he skated relatively well, won, and then mentioned fatigue, bad timing for this competition, etc., it would have had a different flavor. He could have made the comment before the competition and it wouldn't have created waves
    a) I agree that had he won it would've been interpreted differently. That doesn't mean it would be interpreted correctly

b) I'd assert that if Chan made these comments before the competition, people would've interpreted them as "What, you were just gifted a bad world title and now you're complaining about competing in Japan - aka in front of a really appreciative audience that loves figure skating? Fine, then don't go - let someone else go."

Other skaters were just as tired as he was, and they would have gotten collective sympathy instead of Chan being singled out after a loss. His comments do get more attention because he has won 3 world titles, and some of his wins (in the last 3 years, including GPs) were not totally agreeable to fans. Again, it was not his fault that the judges gave him those marks, but it does draw attention every time he makes mistakes. If he learns to be more diplomatic in his public comments, he will be respected rather than resented.
    Exactly. Other skaters get sympathy, but not Chan, because of how he's won in the past and comments he's made in the past. So it's not the comments themselves that are disreputable or unfair, but the speaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I bet the timing wouldn't have been a problem if he won.
    ^^ This ^^
    He knew the dates for WTT a year ago. Get over it.
    Tired of Chiddy's sense of entitlement.
    He bailed on 4CC this year as well.
    I think the bigger issue is he needs to find a technical coach, and that might take a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This claim that the top skaters from Canada had no choice but to go smacks of being utter bollocks. His assertion isn't exactly bolstered by the fact that Virtue and Moir opted not to compete without any repercussions (that any of us are aware of).
    I thought that V/M didn't have to go because Canada had another dance team place in the top 10 at worlds. If they had been the only team in the top 10, then they would have had to attend. Same reason why David/White didn't have to attend. On that same note, Chan and Reynolds both had to attend because there were no other Canucks in the top 10.

Or am I just completely making that up. It happens sometimes

vCash

Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    ...He knew the dates for WTT a year ago. Get over it.
    He bailed on 4CC this year as well...

The tone of your post reeks of hate, so we know where you are coming from.

When Chan knew of the date is irrelevant. It does not mean he or any other skater has to like it. Likely many do not, but were never asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Every sport should continue to evaluate the rules and the competitions to see if they continue to serve the interests of the sport
    Something that will be less likely to happen if it is never questioned, and they are expected to just "get over it".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I thought that V/M didn't have to go because Canada had another dance team place in the top 10 at worlds. If they had been the only team in the top 10, then they would have had to attend. Same reason why David/White didn't have to attend. On that same note, Chan and Reynolds both had to attend because there were no other Canucks in the top 10.

Or am I just completely making that up. It happens sometimes
    That is also how I understood it.

Some skaters are forced to attend. Pairs and Dance skaters have more reason to opt out, since their disciplines are not given equal value. The whole competition appears to be biased towards the Singles disciplines. An issue that appears to be corrected in the Olympic version of this event.
    Last edited by rvi5; 04-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I guess you missed my post from the previous page. CSOI starts on April 19. Chan will have zero rest time when he goes back to Canada.
    The last time I was "involved" with skaters doing tours after Worlds was years ago but as far as I remember, they didn't go on vacation until after the tours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    The tone of your post reeks of hate, so we know where you are coming from.

When Chan knew of the date is irrelevant. It does not mean he or any other skater has to like it. Likely many do not, but were never asked.

Something that will be less likely to happen if it is never questioned, and they are expected to just "get over it".
    I have supported Chan for years...as a skater. We have known Patrick and his family for almost a decade. My complaint with Patrick is when results aren't to his liking, he makes statements like the one in this discussion. Yes, the skaters were all tired, but some do take WTT more seriously than others. It is not just an opportunity to make money....it is an opportunity to obtain a SB score, and for those athletes who did not participate at Worlds, it is a one more chance to get out in front of international panels one more time in the current season, hopefully making a good impression leading into an Olympic qualifying year.

Patrick competed during the GP season, Canadian Natls and Worlds, not an overly taxing season. He knew the season included WTT in April. He had plenty of time to go thru a periodization cycle post Natls, ramping up for Worlds and then maintaining for WTT. I think he has bigger issues to resolve ....finding a competent technical coach. Ms Johnson may be his "horse whisperer". But he needs someone like Krall to get him back to a higher technical level with consistent training, as the current status quo doesn't seem to be working. Falling 3 times in the LP at Worlds.....disappointing for him ...and probably embarrassing as well. I think his complaint about the schedule is a reaction to his own disappointment in the quality and erratic nature of his skating this season. He is a full time athlete....doesn't attend university and does not work part time to fund his skating. I don't have much sympathy for him.

vCash
    If Patrick's reason for participating in the WTT was "for the team", he could have shown a little more leadership as team captain. He looked, to me, like a Debbie Downer during the victory ceremony.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Why should the Japanese people and skating federation feel offended? It is everybody's knowledge that most skaters would not have skated at WTT right after the Worlds if all have a choice especially those who competed in recent Worlds. Did they tell you that they are offended?

He would have been asked regarding his performance hence he tells them why he skated poorly. If there is any fault with Patrick, it is his honesty and willingness to answer questions.
    Thank-you. Of course everyone has to jump on whatever Patrick says and read whatever they want into it. Was it bad sportsmanship? Maybe to some, maybe to none. Who cares? Like many have said, most skaters don't actually want to do this competition and some opted out. I think we all forget how much these skaters train and how hard they work Every Day! Skating is their life, but come on, they need breaks for the love of god.

vCash
    He knew the dates for WTT a year ago. Get over it.
    One year in university, I had most of my exams in April and then had three or four week break before my last exam sometime mid-May. I knew the exam schedule for months, but it was very to focus and study for that last exam. Mentally, I had moved on to my summer job, the next year of school, etc. I can image this is the same with skaters, mentally Worlds is their final exam and it is hard to re-group and focus for the WTT. Chan is just the only one to say so. (Perhaps, the others are glad that he said something.)

He bailed on 4CC this year as well.
    I am not a Chan uber, but for some reason want to respond to this angry post. In your opinion he bailed, but he said that he wanted to give other Canadian skaters the chance to gain world points and work on some training issues. Not bailing in my opinion.
    Last edited by algonquin; 04-14-2013 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    If Patrick's reason for participating in the WTT was "for the team", he could have shown a little more leadership as team captain. He looked, to me, like a Debbie Downer during the victory ceremony.
    I noticed that, too. All the other skaters on the podium were smiling, laughing, celebrating. And there was Chan, looking as if he was next for a root canal. As team captain, he should have been congratulating his teammates for moving up to second from fourth. Instead, a pouty face.

I don't see how he can be 'preparing for the Olympics' considering his SOI schedule and then a China tour. He's being well paid for his stint at WTT, and in light of his complaints about needing more funding, he should be grateful for the opportunity to earn $20,000+.

vCash
    My complaint with Patrick is when results aren't to his liking, he makes statements like the one in this discussion.
    That's exactly what I don't like about him as I wrote in my previous post below.

Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    He often says something disrespectful to the fans, audience, and other skaters when he loses. Last year at Skate Canada he finished 2nd to Javier Fernandez and in the interview he said "This isn't a really important competition whether I win or not". I couldn't believe how he could say so at a competition of his own country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWDZQCOsug

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    CSOI starts on April 19. Chan will have zero rest time when he goes back to Canada.
    Hopefully he can rest after the shows. Whether he takes a week off in April or May it shouldn't make a difference regarding his Olympic prep. When they hastily moved Worlds to a month later in 2011, the skaters adjusted and it's not like we saw some wide-sweeping decline in readiness for the next season because of it. Sure, some of the skaters complained, but it was a last minute problem, whereas everyone knows by now that WTT exists. And there is still plenty of April left after WTT to rest if you don't have a big tour to do.

Again, the amount of competitions skaters do is so very low compared to many major sports. I was thinking about the NBA and how a few of their top players will not only play a 100 game season (usually 35-40 minutes of game time per night, which ends up being about 5 miles of running), but they will then go play for their country's National team after that, which adds several more weeks of competition

If they can do that, skaters can handle WTT. And for the most part, the skaters seem to be handling it and enjoying it. And as the event continues to gain a history and the word gets out about what a great experience it is for participants, more skaters should be motivated to take part in it. Sure, some skaters will experience a big letdown after Worlds and won't like when WTT takes place, but it's not like there would be no complaints if they moved it to before Worlds or before the GP series.

I don't dislike Patrick and think he's mainly just looking for some excuses to explain what was a rough season for him (despite winning the World title )

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    I noticed that, too. All the other skaters on the podium were smiling, laughing, celebrating. And there was Chan, looking as if he was next for a root canal. As team captain, he should have been congratulating his teammates for moving up to second from fourth. Instead, a pouty face.
    Indeed as team captain, he should have made a greater effort. Even if he did not feel up to it at the time. However, we don't know what was bothering him during the award ceremony.

- Was he upset because Team Canada didn't get Gold?

- Was he disappointed in himself for his skating, and going up for a medal made him feel guilty that he let down the team? (not that he did)

- We know some skaters read these boards. If so, it is likely he is aware of the hate directed towards him when he skates poorly and medals. Could the award ceremony have reminded him of what may lay ahead? Critisizim of himself, or perhaps the team as a whole?

The point is, we can only guess at what was on his mind. Of course, the haters will always assume the worst.

vCash
    Didn't there used to be a cheesefest competition after worlds?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast