Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Can anyone verify if this source is valid or the translation is true? The wording to me is suspect.
    For translation you may argue choice of words and how it sounds but I think it is generally very accurate. Although I have no idea how it's been translated into the Japanese article from what Patrick really said in English.

The word "prepare" in the original Japanese sentence of "I wanted to prepare for the Olympics" gives me an impression that 'taking rest' is a part of it.

Also "irritated" near the end does not exactly convey the original word but I cannot find a better word either for word-for-word translation. The original sentence sounds like he showed his frustration that he did not achieve things as he had wanted. (just my impression.)

Anyway no point for digging too deep into words that have been translated (and the media may have twisted).
    Last edited by midori; 04-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    And after this competition is over tomorrow, there will be over two weeks left of April to rest.

The complaining in this sport sometimes gets to be ridiculous. Other professional sports have far more grueling competitive schedules than this. Look at the NHL...They are playing 82 games a year, plus a playoff season. Obviously there are major differences between hockey and figure skating (and international traveling for skating is of course more grueling), but a hockey player would probably laugh at a figure skater complaining over having to compete 6 or 7 times a year. Look at MLB... They play over 160 games per year. Sure, it's not as grueling of a sport as skating and they don't have to do 4 minute long programs, but if they can handle a 162 game season (plus playoffs) without getting overly mentally fatigued, I think elite level figure skaters should be able to handle competing fewer than 10 times a year (plus whatever show commitments they have).

Patrick is just making excuses for his poor performance here. He hasn't had the easiest of seasons, and his jumping is in a bit of disarray right now. I will give him a bit of a break because he clearly has a lot more pressure on him to deliver than most skaters do. It must be difficult for him to publicly explain his rough performances. Still, it would have been nice to wait until after the competition is over to complain.
    I agree about the other sports being much more grueling- schedule wise. Ex: Basketball players run up & down the court for several minutes at a time (more than 4-5 min.), they risk injuries from the opposition, and many times during the season they have back to back games, on the road. They are traveling frequently, playing games in 4-5 cities in 7-8 days. I am not saying FS isn't easy, but as you pointed out, compared to other sports they don't play/compete that much. I can understand fatigue, but you rarely hear players in other pro leagues about their schedules or the demands on their bodies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    And after this competition is over tomorrow, there will be over two weeks left of April to rest.
    The information is not correct. The Canadian Stars on Ice Tour starts on 4/19. After he goes back to Canada, he has to prepare for the show programs, which leaves zero rest time for Chan. This tour ends on 5/10. Then the Chinese tour happens during the mid of June.

In the end, he will finally have some rest time of 3-4 weeks between May and June. I wonder when he will get the new LP choreographed.
    Last edited by seabm7; 04-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    Patrick looked to be having fun in the K&C tonight. He cheered on his teammates and competitors and played up to the crowd in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I agree about the other sports being much more grueling- schedule wise. Ex: Basketball players run up & down the court for several minutes at a time (more than 4-5 min.), they risk injuries from the opposition, and many times during the season they have back to back games, on the road. They are traveling frequently, playing games in 4-5 cities in 7-8 days. I am not saying FS isn't easy, but as you pointed out, compared to other sports they don't play/compete that much. I can understand fatigue, but you rarely hear players in other pro leagues about their schedules or the demands on their bodies.
    There is a difference Vash01. The pros are paid to play each time. Figure skaters are not paid to figure skate. If they win, they get some prize monies and that is peanuts compared to what club players earn. The pros are supported in their training. Not figure skaters. Their parents foot most of their bills.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    You're wasting your time, spikydurian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    You're wasting your time, spikydurian.
    I feel spiky tonight ...
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Patrick looked to be having fun in the K&C tonight. He cheered on his teammates and competitors and played up to the crowd in general.
    Right.

And I like Chan's frankness.

vCash
    Maybe Chan should have put aside some time this summer to get some rest and not be touring all over the place. He knew the Olympics are next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    There is a difference Vash01. The pros are paid to play each time. Figure skaters are not paid to figure skate. If they win, they get some prize monies and that is peanuts compared to what club players earn. The pros are supported in their training. Not figure skaters. Their parents foot most of their bills.
    But there is money for top skaters and for those who get invited to do some of the bigger shows. Skaters get paid for placements at GPs, ISU Championships and the WTT (handsomely, in the case of the WTT). The same cannot be said for many athletes who also have to train constantly and compete much more often than skaters: Olympians in less popular sports, women (and some men) cyclists, tennis players who are good enough to compete but probably not to win major events, etc. make ridiculously low amounts of money.

Also, professional team sports pay a lot at the top level, not so much at lower levels. I can guarantee you that most minor league baseball players and college student-athletes work very hard for less than what a skater at Chan's level can earn, and most college and MiLB players will not make it to the NBA/NFL/MLB. I'll allow that they don't have comparable training expenses, but some skaters are able to keep their training costs down - and most still manage to pay for cars, vacations, nice clothes to wear to banquets and so on; some even own homes. They are hardly starving.

vCash
    Skating in the 2009 WTT did not hurt Lysacek's 2010 Olympic season. He used it as an opportunity to back up his gold at the 2009 WC by placing first in the men's event at WTT. Lysacek competed at both the 2009 WC & 2009 WTT with a stress fractures in his foot. Part of the treatment for the stress fracture was to be off ice and wear a boot on the injured foot for several weeks; which Lysacek did after competing at WTT. Therefore, there is plenty of time for the skaters to compete at WTT, rest, then start training for the Olympic season.

vCash
    Well, Patrick gets about $20K in prize money for this week's ordeal. That's more than I make in 6 months. I'd give up a little vacation time for this.

vCash
    It's like Chan is already coming up with excuses if he starts getting beat next season. What is it about Canadians whining at this event? First Scott Moir last year and now Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's like Chan is already coming up with excuses if he starts getting beat next season. What is it about Canadians whining at this event? First Scott Moir last year and now Chan.
    They do it so posters like you have something to talk about in the off season.

vCash
    Mission accomplished.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Honestly, we're never happy with these poor skaters. Either they're 'too frank and how *dare* they say what they mean' OR 'bah, they've learned media speak and turned into talking heads'. Let's use the summer to set up the FSU School of Media Relations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    They do it so posters like you have something to talk about in the off season.
    And then their fans accuse the critics of being haters, and the vicious cycle continues all off-season long

Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Honestly, we're never happy with these poor skaters. Either they're 'too frank and how *dare* they say what they mean' OR 'bah, they've learned media speak and turned into talking heads'. Let's use the summer to set up the FSU School of Media Relations.
    That would be another off-season option. But really, I'm not buying that - there is a lot of possibilities for skaters to express themselves than fall somewhere between "canned media speak" and "stick skate in mouth repeatedly". Chan, and some other skaters, simply need to find that happy medium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Maybe Chan should have put aside some time this summer to get some rest and not be touring all over the place. He knew the Olympics are next year.
    You mean, you are willing to pay bills for him? If so, yeah he should have.

vCash
    I wish the Chan ubers and the Chan haterz stopped being so predictable. Those who love Chan would defend him no matter what he says or does and those who can't stand him would blow most of his statements out of proportion and turn him into the villain. It's boring.

Sorry for interfering with the discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    but you rarely hear players in other pro leagues about their schedules or the demands on their bodies.
    Are you f'g kidding? Megastar pro players (esp basketball) complain about everything - it's too hot, it's too cold, my equipment failed, I have a hangnail, my injury isn't healed 100%, I have new shoes, my teammates let me down, I've been on the road too long, the hotel had bad beds, etc etc ad nauseum. If they stub their toes it becomes a top news story & they have excuses for every loss. I was watching the World Series once & there were grown men boo-hooing in the losing locker room who were nit-picking every call & every play & whining about everything.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast