Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    The skater will keep this year’s short program, Elegie in E Flat Minor by Sergei Rachmaninoff

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslif...-olympic-glory

Will we have to watch him skate to the same music for 3 seasons? That would be sick! Now let's complain about that!
    What about he skates to silence? I've never recalled any music he has ever used. He can receive 9.00's for interpretation whatever music he skates to anyway so what's the difference?

but I totally agree on one thing though, his Elegie in E Flat Minor by Sergei Rachmaninoff SP is TOTALLY SICK YO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    But if that's too much you could always take a trip to your fridge when he's on.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    According to the ISU announcement, the Top-Ranked team from a country that is also in Worlds Top 10 must skate, or there can be sanctions. There seems to be an unofficial policy for Pairs and Dance teams that the ISU won't go after sanctions if another team in the Top 10 at Worlds and is sent in their place, like C/B for D/W, W/P for V/M, and B/L for V/T last year. I'd say second-ranked and Top 10 at Worlds, except that that would be the Shibutanis, and they didn't go, either; even if C/B placed one spot above them at Worlds, the Shibs were still Top 10.
    Thanks, kwanfan1818. I was also confused by the rules surrounding this event and your post was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    For translation you may argue choice of words and how it sounds but I think it is generally very accurate. Although I have no idea how it's been translated into the Japanese article from what Patrick really said in English.

The word "prepare" in the original Japanese sentence of "I wanted to prepare for the Olympics" gives me an impression that 'taking rest' is a part of it.

Also "irritated" near the end does not exactly convey the original word but I cannot find a better word either for word-for-word translation. The original sentence sounds like he showed his frustration that he did not achieve things as he had wanted. (just my impression.)

Anyway no point for digging too deep into words that have been translated (and the media may have twisted).
    Thank you for this, midori. I tried google translate and couldn't make sense of what I saw.

vCash
    He seems even more unhappy to have joined WTT after leaving Japan so he calls it a stupid competition in this interview.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/skatin...e_dimanno.html

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    He seems even more unhappy to have joined WTT after leaving Japan so he calls it a stupid competition in this interview.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/skatin...e_dimanno.html
    Wow tkaug, you are 'worse than Rosie and Phil put together'. Did Patrick mention "stupid"?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I feel like giving this a standing ovation, in the manner of that guy who waved a giant Canadian flag after the Duchesnays went into the final pose of their "Missing" free dance at 1990 Worlds in Halifax.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I feel like giving this a standing ovation, in the manner of that guy who waved a giant Canadian flag after the Duchesnays went into the final pose of their "Missing" free dance at 1990 Worlds in Halifax.
    You mean the creeper at 4:39?

I'll take it!

vCash
    All skaters are,tired
    In the 90's, the skaters skated,in May for pro ams that was,less important than,the WTT.
    As stated in,another post the Goodwill Games in 1998 was in July.
    Most skaters in years past stated was tired at worlds or after worlds.,they did pro ams anyway without whining or insulting, belittling skaters in process.
    They swas all in same boat.
    In 90's ,big name you did a pro am before Gp events Gp final with a pro am before the gp final than nationals , wofls, anothet pro am, plus tours and 1-2 shows that was allowed. The skaters didnt whine about timing ljke they do now. Some admited wanted change,but admited would bs tired,rdgardless of when it was. All skaters would be tired.
    Just wish skaters now,would,refrain from saying mone,competition because so tired. Previous in,same boat without the
    Whining from skaters.
    Last edited by query5; 04-22-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Correction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    All skaters are,tired
    In the 90's, the skaters skated,in May for pro ams that was,less important than,the WTT.
    As stated in,another post the Goodwill Games in 1998 was in July.
    Most skaters in years past stated was tired at worlds or after worlds.,they did pro ams anyway without whining or insulting, belittling skaters in process.
    They swas all in same boat.
    In 90's ,big name you did a pro am before Gp events Gp final with a pro am before the gp final than nationals , wofls, anothet pro am, plus tours and 1-2 shows that was allowed. The skaters didnt whine about timing ljke they do now. Some admited wanted change,but admited would bs tired,rdgardless of when it was. All skaters would be tired.
    Just wish skaters now,would,refrain from saying mone,competition because so tired. Previous in,same boat without the
    Whining from skaters.
    No one knows if skaters back then complained or not.

vCash
    If you watched,the competition they didnt, not to public. Behind scened maybe,
    The commentators did ask long season most stated yes .
    Michelld, tara,irina, yagudin, tim goebel, michael weiss , todd eldredge, not to mention in pros kristi, nancy, yukaddnise when eon interviewed on spot after competition was over asked long season after worlds. Michelle wad adked what happened when,didnt win, media mocked her.
    Sure no social media, but they asked,questions that fan base is now mocking was questions they asked for years
    Difference is no pair dance team inivited they usually just asked winners or big name mainly michelle,todd u.s.hope wasincluding top russia hope, irina etc
    When asked was tired.
    The pros answered was sometimes enlightening especially when didnt win.
    P

vCash
    Sorry but Patrick does come across as spoiled, enitlement.
    The older skaters,Chose words carefully when speaking to all press.

vCash
    It also should be considered that practically everyone is far more open when they speak now. Even over a few years ago and not just people in sports.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    Yeah, but that means they also open themselves up to more criticism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Wow tkaug, you are 'worse than Rosie and Phil put together'. Did Patrick mention "stupid"?
    Yes.

“What if that was me?” wonders Chan. “What if my training for next year, an Olympic year, had gone out the window because of a stupid injury at a stupid competition?”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes.

“because it’s not like going from the top of the team to the bottom of the food chain. My situation is different. Who else of equal value is going to replace me?”

In terms of leadership? Yes, many other Canadian skaters could have done better than you. Actually all of his teammates could have.
    Last edited by tkaug; 04-23-2013 at 01:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
    I just want to know why, when anyone says anything remotely negative about Patrick Chan, their comments are perceived as "Seething with hate" for the man.
    It may be related to how things are said, more than what is said. Intentionally or otherwise. As someone mentioned earlier, one word can completely change the tone of a message. For example, a poster can say 'Chan should accept it...' or 'Chan needs to bite the bullet...'. Saying things like 'he should Suck it up' has a more curt aggressive feel, which can be perceived by some people as being hostile. With a collective history of 'hostile' posts towards a skater, it is conceivable other people may see hate towards that skater. This can be especially true if the poster tends to use, shall we say, colorful adjectives and phrases. Although we complain of Chan needing to improve his choice of words, some of us are not much better. One could argue Chan is in the public eye and written about in blog articles. But in reality, it is plausible posts on these skating boards are just as likely to be read by fans, skaters, coaches, judges, and ISU/Federation officials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    It may be related to how things are said, more than what is said. Intentionally or otherwise. As someone mentioned earlier, one word can completely change the tone of a message. For example, a poster can say 'Chan should accept it...' or 'Chan needs to bite the bullet...'. Saying things like 'he should Suck it up' has a more curt aggressive feel, which can be perceived by some people as being hostile. With a collective history of 'hostile' posts towards a skater, it is conceivable other people may see hate towards that skater. This can be especially true if the poster tends to use, shall we say, colorful adjectives and phrases. Although we complain of Chan needing to improve his choice of words, some of us are not much better. One could argue Chan is in the public eye and written about in blog articles. But in reality, it is plausible posts on these skating boards are just as likely to be read by fans, skaters, coaches, judges, and ISU/Federation officials.
    Over the years, Chan has made negative, demeaning or critical comments, often without any provocation, about (in no particular order), Evgeni Plushenko, Johnny Weir, Daisuke Takahashi, Brian Joubert, the WTT, Russian skaters, Chinese skaters, Sochi accommodations and food, Denis Ten, Andrei Rogozine/lower-ranked Canadian men, Skate Canada (the event and his federation) and probably some others that I have forgotten. Is it not to be expected that a skater who is often negative about others will become the subject of criticism himself? Especially one so prominent and successful?

I'm not justifying people who are truly trolling, but not everyone who is critical of Chan/his skating is trolling or being hostile. Yet often criticism that is perfectly reasonable is dismissed by his fans as being motivated by hatred, and some of Chan's more comments are written off because the target of the criticism "deserved it", because Patrick is "so honest" and "tells it like it is", or because "he's young and inexperienced, he'll learn" (Patrick is 22 and in his 6th senior season - as someone noted, that makes him a very slow learner), and due to "bad journalists twisting his comments" (certainly possible, in DiManno's case, but it's not always DiManno). I don't blame him for getting marks that he doesn't (IMO) deserve, or for taking advantage of the system to pack in the points, but I do blame him for sometimes acting like an entitled brat about his career and for the lack of respect he has shown fellow skaters at times.

vCash
    You appear to have missed the point of my post. It was not 'whether' Chan should be criticized or discussed, but 'how' posts can be perceived as hostile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    You appear to have missed the point of my post. It was not 'whether' Chan should be criticized or discussed, but 'how' posts can be perceived as hostile.
    No, I grasped your point perfectly. But I still think that some of Chan's fans view any criticism as hostile, no matter how it is expressed or why, and don't stop to consider whether sometimes his actions and words invite discussion. Thus, my above post.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast