Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I wish the Chan ubers and the Chan haterz stopped being so predictable. Those who love Chan would defend him no matter what he says or does and those who can't stand him would blow most of his statements out of proportion and turn him into the villain. It's boring.

Sorry for interfering with the discussion.
    I could not agree more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    And after this competition is over tomorrow, there will be over two weeks left of April to rest. The complaining in this sport sometimes gets to be ridiculous. Other professional sports have far more grueling competitive schedules than this. Look at the NHL...They are playing 82 games a year, plus a playoff season. Obviously there are major differences between hockey and figure skating (and international traveling for skating is of course more grueling), but a hockey player would probably laugh at a figure skater complaining over having to compete 6 or 7 times a year. Look at MLB... They play over 160 games per year. Sure, it's not as grueling of a sport as skating and they don't have to do 4 minute long programs, but if they can handle a 162 game season (plus playoffs) without getting overly mentally fatigued, I think elite level figure skaters should be able to handle competing fewer than 10 times a year (plus whatever show commitments they have).

Patrick is just making excuses for his poor performance here. He hasn't had the easiest of seasons, and his jumping is in a bit of disarray right now. I will give him a bit of a break because he clearly has a lot more pressure on him to deliver than most skaters do. It must be difficult for him to publicly explain his rough performances. Still, it would have been nice to wait until after the competition is over to complain.
    Exactly he is just being a whiner! He comes off as a bad sport. The other skaters are tired as well and they haven't been complaining. If he does poorly at the Olympics next year will he complain that he had to do an extra competition? I would have a lot more respect for him if he just said I skated badly without all the excuses.

vCash
    He just said what everyone is thinking. This competition is great but it's too late on the season !
    Personally I thank all Federations that sent their best skaters !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Are you f'g kidding? Megastar pro players (esp basketball) complain about everything - it's too hot, it's too cold, my equipment failed, I have a hangnail, my injury isn't healed 100%, I have new shoes, my teammates let me down, I've been on the road too long, the hotel had bad beds, etc etc ad nauseum. If they stub their toes it becomes a top news story & they have excuses for every loss. I was watching the World Series once & there were grown men boo-hooing in the losing locker room who were nit-picking every call & every play & whining about everything.
    That's not been my impression at all. A lot of professional athletes train hard and play through pain and injury. Just a few days ago my favorite team (baseball, not NBA, FWIW) put a top player on the DL and he was very upset about not being allowed to play. If anything pro athletes sometimes rush their return and try to play through too much pain. Yes there are sometimes complaints about officiating, because they care about the ourcome! Though you also have situations like Armando Galaraga's 28-out perfect game. I don't know how you got this impression but IMO it's really off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tut88 View Post
    He just said what everyone is thinking. This competition is great but it's too late on the season !
    Totally agree.

Can anybody look at the Men's SP and FP protocols and say that this is a good time to hold this competition?
    Apart from Menshov , even the skaters who came with something to prove ( Abbott, Takahashi, Kovtun, Chan) did not have good skates.

vCash
    It's lonely at the top...would you like some cheeze with that whine?

Sit back and enjoy the ride, Patrick.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    Exactly he is just being a whiner! He comes off as a bad sport. The other skaters are tired as well and they haven't been complaining. If he does poorly at the Olympics next year will he complain that he had to do an extra competition? I would have a lot more respect for him if he just said I skated badly without all the excuses.
    I guess you missed my post from the previous page. CSOI starts on April 19. Chan will have zero rest time when he goes back to Canada.

vCash
    Yeah, there are good skates at WTT but overall you can tell the field on average is under performing across all four disciplines. They are all tired, burnt out, and Patrick was the one that came out and said probably how most other skaters here felt.

I am so sick and tired of some figure skating fans expecting these athletes to be politically correct all the time and nitpick every sentences out of a skater's mouth then quickly label him in a negative light. That's why Figure Skating is so niche, because it's a sport where you have to be princes and princesses.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Does anyone have the $ in prize money that these skaters get for this competition? The actual amt for gold, silver, bronze, whatever? A guide?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tut88 View Post
    This competition is great but it's too late on the season !
    Or maybe Worlds was too early this season.

vCash
    From: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3967
    Prize Money

The organizing ISU member (Japan Figure Skating Federation) will make available the Global Prize Money of US$ 1.000.000 to the skaters/couples of the awarded teams based on the following scale:

1st placed team: US$ 200.000
    2nd placed team: US$ 170.000
    3rd placed team: US$ 160.000
    4th placed team: US$ 150.000
    5th placed team: US$ 140.000
    6th placed team: US$ 130.000
    Scroll down to page 7 to "6. PRIZE MONEY – APPEARANCE FEES" for more details.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thank you.

Since people seem to know what the other skaters are thinking, I suspect that there just may have been a few skaters there who were happy with the prize money.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow, so amazing! 72 responses before I saw this thread about...an article written entirely in Japanese. I think it is wonderful that all of you are fluent in reading the Japanese language. Myself, I did not understand one single word in the article that all of you are discussing.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wow, so amazing! 72 responses before I saw this thread about...an article written entirely in Japanese. I think it is wonderful that all of you are fluent in reading the Japanese language. Myself, I did not understand one single word in the article that all of you are discussing.
    You don't have to be fluent in Japanese to understand that Chan is

vCash

Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

I find the hypocrisy on these boards laughable. As already mentioned, Chan isn't saying anything others have not previously questioned. Someone at GS even started a thread called "Should the World Team Trophy be held earlier in the season". Trying to twist every Chan comment into something negative, demonstrates how some people are unable to separate their hate from rational logic. If it had been Takahashi who made the comment, I suspect these same posters would totally agree.

vCash
    That's because Takahashi won, so it wouldn't have come from a place of bitterness. Not to mention Chan has a history of having what he says getting him into trouble. Honesty is good, but opening oneself up like that will allow people to see who you really are. People aren't obligated to like what anyone says or to refrain from commenting on a publicly stated opinion just because it's "honest."

vCash
    I think that in this posting by Sylvia

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3899826

Chan puts his words very well:

From the Skate Canada press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

“I didn’t have my best skate today, but because it’s a team event, I didn’t feel alone on the ice. As soon as I came off, my teammates were right there, encouraging me, and that’s what makes this event so special,” said Team Captain Patrick Chan. “I’m so proud of all our team members today. Kevin really made the difference for us and helped us make up ground from day one. I can’t wait to see how our ladies and pair team finish tomorrow. Don’t count Team Canada out for the gold just yet!”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's because Takahashi won, so it wouldn't have come from a place of bitterness. Not to mention Chan has a history of having what he says getting him into trouble. Honesty is good, but opening oneself up like that will allow people to see who you really are. People aren't obligated to like what anyone says or to refrain from commenting on a publicly stated opinion just because it's "honest."
    But I think saying stupid things in the past (which I agree Chan has) doesn't in fact mean that everything he says is stupid or wrong.

That said, complaining about the lack of preparation time for this event is rather amusing, given that he's basically skated really poorly all year. WTT wasn't even his worst SP (Skate Canada) or LP (Japan Open) from last season.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Patrick is fortunate that he's at a position in his career that the rather significant prize money for this event doesn't really have an impact on his ability to pay for his training. But I suspect that most of his other teammates were very thankful to have the opportunity to earn this prize money. Since he was the team captain, it might have been better to focus on the great opportunity this event is for his younger teammates. Even if he wants to focus primarily on the Olympics, the experience the younger teammates get here may help them at the team event in Sochi.

I don't have an issue with the substance of what Patrick said. Every sport should continue to evaluate the rules and the competitions to see if they continue to serve the interests of the sport, and it is hard to train for another event after peaking for the "highlight" of the season. But the timing of his comments was not ideal.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash

Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's because Takahashi won, so it wouldn't have come from a place of bitterness.
    Why do you think it came from a place of bitterness? Isn't that an assumption? Was it assumed because the author (or google translator) chose to use the word "complain" instead of another word like "said", "mentioned", "commented", etc.? Interesting how one word can make a huge difference in the tone of an article. Especially if readers are already fueled with hate, and eager to see only the negative.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast