Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Chan complained about the time of World Team Trophy. He pointed that skaters have difficulity with physical and mental preparation after the World Championships which is the biggest stage of the season. Because of the regulation that each country must send top skaters, "We have no choice of not taking part. This is obviously a problem. April is too late. I wanted to prepare for the Olympics." Chan said.

In the free, he unusually made many mistakes with 3 falls and finished 5th(2nd overall). He couldn't end his last performance of this season with a smile and his face was fallen saying "I feel irritated.".

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20...310006-n1.html
    Last edited by tkaug; 04-13-2013 at 04:00 AM.

vCash
    I don't doubt that this is what he said, but how is participating in one competition in April 2013 going to interfere with his preparation for an event in early 2014?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    In the free, he unusually made many mistakes
    Really?

vCash
    USFS' March 20 press release stated:
    Meryl Davis and Charlie White have elected not to compete at World Team Trophy so they may focus on their training for the upcoming Olympic season.
    Virtue/Moir also elected not to compete... was Chan not given the opportunity to decline?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    USFS' March 20 press release stated:

Virtue/Moir also elected not to compete... was Chan not given the opportunity to decline?
    That seems to be the case.

vCash
    I bet the timing wouldn't have been a problem if he won.

vCash
    OMG!
    Comparing to any other individual sport, the top skaters appearances are minimal...
    Patrick competed how many times this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I bet the timing wouldn't have been a problem if he won.
    I agree. And he shouldn't have said something like that in public as a team captain. He ruined the event with his own words. He often says something disrespectful to the fans, audience, and other skaters when he loses. Last year at Skate Canada he finished 2nd to Javier Fernandez and in the interview he said "This isn't a really important competition whether I win or not". I couldn't believe how he could say so at a competition of his own country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWDZQCOsug

vCash
    He is certainly not the first skater to complain about it, I seem to recall the same things were said in 2009.

vCash
    Oh, boy, this sounds like sour grapes...he's gonna regret having said this. The press is gonna eat him alive.

vCash
    He went to WTT in 2009? Maybe thinks that damaged him for 2010. But that was more the injury he had than going to WTT 2009.

vCash
    Trankov said in an interview that if it was up to him he wouldn't do this competition, and was patted on the back for his honesty.

And If Moir can overcome saying that he "hates this competition" in the K&C while the cameras were rolling, this is no big deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Chan complained about the time of World Team Trophy. He pointed that skaters have difficulity with physical and mental preparation after the World Championships which is the biggest stage of the season. Because of the regulation that each country must send top skaters, "We have no choice of not taking part. This is obviously a problem. April is too late. I wanted to prepare for the Olympics." Chan said.

In the free, he unusually made many mistakes with 3 falls and finished 5th(2nd overall). He couldn't end his last performance of this season with a smile and his face was fallen saying "I feel irritated.".

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20...310006-n1.html
    That is your words. I see his face as 'exhausted' and 'disappointed'. This article is in Japanese. Is that the correct translation?

Where are the words which imply he is disrespectful to fans? Honest yes in answering queries. I can also choose to misinterpret any skater's words if I choose like you do if I wish to purposely take words out of context or read evil into everything someone says.

D&W and V&M chose not to compete so they are bad team mates?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    D&W and V&M chose not to compete so they are bad team mates?
    No, that does not mean they are bad team mates at all.
    The point is Chan did compete and complained, and he is a team captain.
    I personally found that disrespectful.

vCash
    At the very least he should have waited until after the competition had ended to voice these opinions. The timing is very bad. I can see where the Japanese people might feel quite offended.

Not to mention the ISU and his own skating federation...yikes!

vCash
    Oh boy..

But,

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't doubt that this is what he said, but how is participating in one competition in April 2013 going to interfere with his preparation for an event in early 2014?
    Really? April is the PERFECT time for the top skaters to get some rest and recharged, even if it's not toward the Olympic season.

vCash
    From the Associated Press article:
    "It's frustrating to end the season like this," Chan said. "I don't really have a choice for this competition and did it for the team. I had a good season with the world championships but it's hard to travel all this way, my body is not happy competing at this time of year."
    From the ISU's Day 2 summary:
    “I’ve been feeling off since I got here. It’s been really a lot of hard work trying to get myself motivated to do the program. It’s hard to go back to training after Worlds”, Chan noted.
    From the Skate Canada press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    “I didn’t have my best skate today, but because it’s a team event, I didn’t feel alone on the ice. As soon as I came off, my teammates were right there, encouraging me, and that’s what makes this event so special,” said Team Captain Patrick Chan. “I’m so proud of all our team members today. Kevin really made the difference for us and helped us make up ground from day one. I can’t wait to see how our ladies and pair team finish tomorrow. Don’t count Team Canada out for the gold just yet!”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think he shouldn't have spoken his mind even though it must be on most skaters' mind, sometimes I feel he should be prohibited to speak to the journalists. But like Casken said, other skater who said basically the same was lauded for his honesty but since it's Patrick, he's automatically nailed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I can see where the Japanese people might feel quite offended
    Why? I certainly did not.

WTT is fun and I love this competition but it is only when skaters attend by THEIR choice. I really hate when ISU drag skaters into events with hostage of their eligibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Really? April is the PERFECT time for the top skaters to get some rest and recharged, even if it's not toward the Olympic season.
    And after this competition is over tomorrow, there will be over two weeks left of April to rest.

The complaining in this sport sometimes gets to be ridiculous. Other professional sports have far more grueling competitive schedules than this. Look at the NHL...They are playing 82 games a year, plus a playoff season. Obviously there are major differences between hockey and figure skating (and international traveling for skating is of course more grueling), but a hockey player would probably laugh at a figure skater complaining over having to compete 6 or 7 times a year. Look at MLB... They play over 160 games per year. Sure, it's not as grueling of a sport as skating and they don't have to do 4 minute long programs, but if they can handle a 162 game season (plus playoffs) without getting overly mentally fatigued, I think elite level figure skaters should be able to handle competing fewer than 10 times a year (plus whatever show commitments they have).

Patrick is just making excuses for his poor performance here. He hasn't had the easiest of seasons, and his jumping is in a bit of disarray right now. I will give him a bit of a break because he clearly has a lot more pressure on him to deliver than most skaters do. It must be difficult for him to publicly explain his rough performances. Still, it would have been nice to wait until after the competition is over to complain.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 04-13-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast