Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    In 2009, Dubai denied an entry of then a prominent Israeli professional tennis player, Shahar Peer, into their tennis tournament presumably due to a long-standing Jewish-Muslim geo-political conflict. The American tennis player Andy Roddick subsequently withdrew from the tournament in solidarity with Ms. Peer, thereby effectively denying himself of prize money and appearance fees, even though he at the time was a defending champion.

The governing world-wide tennis federation subsequently heavily sanctioned UAE federation in order to prevent such discrimination from happening again. The governing body was able to act accordingly, since UAE was a member country.

I'm not saying UAE skating event would exert same kind of discriminatory policy. However, I am merely pointing out that sometimes even ISU may have a valid point. Remember how cautious the Japanese skating federation was to sending their skaters to COC grand prix event the last November due to the mounting political tension between China and Japan at that time? The geo-political tension around the middle eastern region is even higher now than in 2009.

I am all for money and spreading skating popularity. However, EAU not being a member federation, ISU would be out of luck pulling whatever little leverage it may have when something happens. I think it is prudent for ISU to be cautious.

Another reason to respect Andy Roddick. While I'm no super fan of the ISU, if Dubai would choose to be discriminatory to any skater of any nationality/religion, that would be reason enough for me not to have an ISU event there. Discrimination should not happen in ANY sport.

vCash
    With all the money there, maybe they would fund a figure skating tv channel. Half tongue-in cheek; half serious.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    They have tried to make the competition seem ISU-friendly when it is not. Whether this is deliberate or dishonest remains to be seen. Combined with the possibility of political issues, I understand why the ISU is hesitant to be linked at this point.

On another note, does anybody know the state of ice rinks in Dubai? I know there is an indoor ski resort! Wondering about their electric bill...

vCash
    I doubt they worry about the electric bill. The Olympic size rink is inside a shopping mall, the largest in the world I believe.http://www.emirates.com/us/english/d...aiicerink.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqMUHGYkrg

vCash
    Oh - I am on the other side in this. UAE is perfectly capable of joining the ISU. And, the ISU is correct to stand by the rule Re membership IMO. ISU cannot enforce its rules and standards on a country that is not a member. And, since a country has all the money they would ever need, what is to stop them from paying exorbitant amounts of money to skaters....having their own GP...etc. And, if they are members, I would assume having UAE events non-sanctioned would be sticky.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Yes, an ISU skater or official can be punished by the ISU if they participate in a non-sanctioned competition or event (such as an ice show).
    To my thinking, this is really no different from losing your eligibility by competing in the old World Pros or any other non-ISU competition. I suspect the reason for this particular ISU notice is that they are worried that the organizer's repeated references to the ISU will mislead skaters into assuming this is an ISU event, though.

Seeing that, I hope they decide to waive this penalty for the young skaters who competed there last year not realizing what they were doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12