Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Skating in Dubai or not

I noticed a posting on the ISU to keep skaters from competing in Dubai. Understandably so, because they are not members.
    However from the business stand point of view and future of the sport, would it be more appropriate to promote the sport in one of the richest countries in the world? Or at least not routing against it?

When will the ISU management take heads out of the sand and smell the roses?

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1306

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    I noticed a posting on the ISU to keep skaters from competing in Dubai. Understandably so, because they are not members.
    However from the business stand point of view and future of the sport, would it be more appropriate to promote the sport in one of the richest countries in the world? Or at least not routing against it?

When will the ISU management take heads out of the sand and smell the roses?

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1306
    Methinks the ISU is just a tad uppity. I agree with you completely. I'm sure if the ISU weren't so stuck on protocol, it could grant an exception on a trial basis and work with the UAE to become a member and develop skating. Yes, with all the money in Dubai (they have an indoor ski area, don't they?), the Middle East could become the next figure skating, er, hotbed. I say, don't knock it.

vCash
    The ISU is warning people not to participate in this particular competition because it's not sanctioned by them. And looking at the announcement, I can see why they issued this statement.

http://www.danskate.dk/da/Det%20sker...UP%202013.ashx

The announcement mentions the ISU a few times, including that the competition will be run by ISU rules. So an ISU-eligible skater could well read this and think that it was an ISU-approved competition.

The ISU is not saying they are against skating in Dubai in general. And they're not saying that they won't ever do business in Dubai.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The ISU is warning people not to participate in this particular competition because it's not sanctioned by them. And looking at the announcement, I can see why they issued this statement.

The announcement mentions the ISU a few times, including that the competition will be run by ISU rules. So an ISU-eligible skater could well read this and think that it was an ISU-approved competition.

The ISU is not saying they are against skating in Dubai in general. And they're not saying that they won't ever do business in Dubai.
    Right. But I'm suggesting that maybe the ISU could work with the organizers in Dubai and recognize an opportunity.

Title-less
    vCash
    There are quite a lot of non-IsU sanctioned comps in Asis, including some of the recent skating challenges in the jr level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Ro View Post
    Right. But I'm suggesting that maybe the ISU could work with the organizers in Dubai and recognize an opportunity.
    Maybe the ISU doesn't think the competition is developed enough for an ISU sanction. Also, the competition organizers indicate in the announcement that they want "to promote the newly organized UAE Figure Skating Federation, eventually to be under the governance of the International Skating Union". Maybe the ISU has other plans to organize a federation in this region and doesn't want to work with this particular group.

Yes, it's an opportunity, but I see nothing wrong with the ISU deciding not to work with this particular opportunity. It will not be the last or only competition in this region.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

You are correct in theory which I agree with letting anyone know that it is not ISU sanctioned event.

What strikes me is the second part of the announcement:
    "ISU Members should therefore refrain from entering Competitors and Officials into this competition"

Refrain? Why? Can a member be punished by attending after all? It sure sounds that way.
    Why could not ISU have a little bit of business sense? We are reading about the sport going down the drain and loosing fan base, yet we turn backs to a promotion in a $$$ rich country? When will they (ISU) wake up? When it's late?

vCash
    Yes, an ISU skater or official can be punished by the ISU if they participate in a non-sanctioned competition or event (such as an ice show). This is true within ISU member federations as well, e.g. competitors in Canada who are Skate Canada members can be punished by Skate Canada if they participate in an event in Canada that is not sanctioned by Skate Canada.

As I pointed out above, maybe the ISU has reasons why they are warning their members not to participate in this particular competition. But whatever the reason is, it does not mean that the ISU wants to never have anything to do with skating in Dubai, or to ignore the opportunities there. Maybe they want to promote their own competition at some point, I don't know. But telling people not to participate in one competition is not shutting the door on skating in that country forever.

vCash
    Maybe it has to do with young skaters that competed there last year who were unaware the competition was not sanctioned by the ISU? From the FSU Archives:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    AFAIK Sergei Dobrin's young pupil Danil Korenyuk won there and I'd love to see detailed results.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Dubai Cup 2012

Korenyuk competed in Pre-juvenile A.
    ETA a history of figure skating in UAE:
    http://www.facebook.com/DubaiFigureS...42231102461686
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-13-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    2013 Golden Cup of Dubai Figure Skating Championships Begins Today [April 25]: http://www.dubaichronicle.com/2013/0...championships/
    Excerpt:
    Regulated by the International Skating Union, the Championship will be evaluated by Master Coaches and Judges from Europe and North America. Participants will compete in Girls, Boys and Artistic disciplines during the three different parts – Singles, Interpretive, and Group Dance. Throughout the event, guests will have the chance to see the guests of honor, the two-time Olympic silver medalist Irina Slutskaya and the American skater and choreographer Ararat Zakarian. As with the previous editions, the Championship is hosted by Queen of the Ice World, the figure skating academy of Kristina Romanova and Lydia Paly-Hume, both famous names in international figure skating. Of course, the event is also supported by Dubai Sports Council and the newly launched UAE Figure Skating Federation.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Kristina Romanova and Lydia Paly-Hume are "famous names in international figure skating"? I Googled Paly-Hume and the only hits that came up were references to the story that Sylvia linked.

ETA: Oh my, the "Queen of Ice World" website is quite something: http://www.queenoficeworld.org/v1/

vCash
    Maybe the ISU is trying to send a message to "the richest country in the world" that they have to follow the rules the same as every other member federation and get a sanction for their competition ahead of time like everyone else?
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Maybe the ISU is trying to send a message to "the richest country in the world" that they have to follow the rules the same as every other member federation and get a sanction for their competition ahead of time like everyone else?
    This. It might help if they got their act together and actually applied to be an ISU member.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    This. It might help if they got their act together and actually applied to be an ISU member.
    What a concept?!

Silly ISU expecting people to play by the rules and not put out misleading press releases making it seem like their competitions are sanctioned when they aren't.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Title-less
    vCash

I thought I've seen similar references to ISU in the announcements of other non-sanctioned comps before, like in those Asian jr figure skating challenges

vCash
    Elena Berezhnaya is there as well: http://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/in...n=nationsports

vCash
    In 2009, Dubai denied an entry of then a prominent Israeli professional tennis player, Shahar Peer, into their tennis tournament presumably due to a long-standing Jewish-Muslim geo-political conflict. The American tennis player Andy Roddick subsequently withdrew from the tournament in solidarity with Ms. Peer, thereby effectively denying himself of prize money and appearance fees, even though he at the time was a defending champion.

The governing world-wide tennis federation subsequently heavily sanctioned UAE federation in order to prevent such discrimination from happening again. The governing body was able to act accordingly, since UAE was a member country.

I'm not saying UAE skating event would exert same kind of discriminatory policy. However, I am merely pointing out that sometimes even ISU may have a valid point. Remember how cautious the Japanese skating federation was to sending their skaters to COC grand prix event the last November due to the mounting political tension between China and Japan at that time? The geo-political tension around the middle eastern region is even higher now than in 2009.

I am all for money and spreading skating popularity. However, EAU not being a member federation, ISU would be out of luck pulling whatever little leverage it may have when something happens. I think it is prudent for ISU to be cautious.

vCash
    It's certainly a very interesting debate. I'm of the belief that the ISU should definitely recognize an opportunity to work with the organizers and "federation" of Dubai to assist them with intregrating events like this one into the ISU structure. While I think it's AWESOME to see competitions being held ALL over the world, it would be absolutely devastating to see any skater be punished or lose funding, eligibility, training access because they attended an event unknowingly not realizing it wasn't ISU sanctioned. I agree with you all that the ISU is approaching this matter in an appropriate way. Look at me agreeing with the ISU... and I'm not even drinking!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    It's certainly a very interesting debate. I'm of the belief that the ISU should definitely recognize an opportunity to work with the organizers and "federation" of Dubai to assist them with intregrating events like this one into the ISU structure. While I think it's AWESOME to see competitions being held ALL over the world, it would be absolutely devastating to see any skater be punished or lose funding, eligibility, training access because they attended an event unknowingly not realizing it wasn't ISU sanctioned. I agree with you all that the ISU is approaching this matter in an appropriate way. Look at me agreeing with the ISU... and I'm not even drinking!
    You and me both! Who would have thought to agree with ISU. But this is an important discussion to have.

vCash
    Any word of any ISU eligible big names who competed here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast