Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    A really good steam room works for me, it seems to get out all the toxins.

vCash
    I really like Airborn tablets. It has most of what everyone has mentioned; ginger, zinc, echinacea, vitamin C and more. I also like Alka-Seltzer cold plus tablets. Agree tea with lemon, honey and maybe a little whiskey; lay down with a heating blanket and sleep and sweat it out. Good luck Anita!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I really like Airborn tablets. It has most of what everyone has mentioned; ginger, zinc, echinacea, vitamin C and more. I also like Alka-Seltzer cold plus tablets. Agree tea with lemon, honey and maybe a little whiskey; lay down with a heating blanket and sleep and sweat it out. Good luck Anita!
    I like airborne as well. That and ibuprofen are my medicines of choice for a cold. Medicines can be way too strong for me (affects of the medicine is worse than the disease) and Airborne has chewables that I can take a lesser dosage. I used to take coldeze, but I am one of those who loses their sense of taste when I take it. It started off being just a few days but last time it was several days after I had stopped taking it. You will want to watch out for that if you decide on the coldeze.

Best of luck at the wedding.

vCash
    ^A.H. I totally agree. That zinc taste makes me gag, I'd rather be sick! Zicam used to have a nose spray and nasal swabs but the government made them take them off the market and I can't remember why. That is/was the only way I can tolerate zinc. At least in the Airborne the fizzy orange tastes good!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I used to take coldeze, but I am one of those who loses their sense of taste when I take it. It started off being just a few days but last time it was several days after I had stopped taking it. You will want to watch out for that if you decide on the coldeze.
    I swear by zinc lozenges, but I agree that they can really affect your sense of taste. I adhere rigidly to the daily dosage maximum (which I think is four lozenges) and normally cut down to three by the 3rd and 4th day. I try to stop using the lozenges at the end of the 4th day, because I once suffered through several days of tasteless food after continuing to use the zinc longer than I really needed to. It's bad enough that food tastes funny (so does toothpaste!) for an hour or so after I use even one lozenge. But for me they pretty much keep the sniffles and sore throat at bay.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My sore throat is pretty much gone as of this morning. I still took a zinc lozenge after lunch for good measure. Thank goodness it's been really warm here, so I'm sweating it out!

Yeah loss of taste is what I've heard about the zinc as well, but the most I've taken so far is 3 a day and I can still taste stuff....I'll still keep up the daily neti pot for the next week just to make sure it's gone.

Now for the daily wedding weekend weather watch. Earlier this week I checked and it said 65F and rainy. Then a few days ago it was 72F and sunny. Now it's climbed to 84F and "unusually hot" and I'm like, "Um, you can stop now..."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wasn't there a lawsuit involving Zicam? Glad you are feeling better, Anita18!

Sweating out a cold has worked for a few thousand years. That's why I said avoid air-conditioning because you will stop sweating or as Chinese medicine puts it, your surface will close. Drink plenty of warm or room temp liquids, OK? No iced drinks until you totally out of the woods.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I go for Cold FX
    Me too, works wonders but you have to start before the cold is full blown. Lots of sleep too.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I did have some iced tea at lunch but the ice quickly melted in the heat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Wasn't there a lawsuit involving Zicam? Glad you are feeling better, Anita18!

Sweating out a cold has worked for a few thousand years. That's why I said avoid air-conditioning because you will stop sweating or as Chinese medicine puts it, your surface will close. Drink plenty of warm or room temp liquids, OK? No iced drinks until you totally out of the woods.
    Yes, there were lawsuits, but they concerned mostly the sense of smell with taste as a secondary problem. http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/zicam.asp The lawsuits were settled and Zicam stands by their product.

vCash
    Several cold remedies (for the future):

Hot tea- preferably herbal or green, and warm fluids throughout the day

Salt water (warm) gurgles- it should taste really salty (even though you are not going to drink it) in the morning and at least once during the day

Put crushed fresh ginger in a cup of water. Heat it for at least a minute. Add honey and lemon (fresh), may be a pinch of salt (not necessary) for taste. Drink it 2-3 times during day

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am curious, why the salt to drink with ginger, honey and lemon? Salt in a gargle makes sense.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12