Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

Your best cold-fighting remedies, stat!

I'm getting married in about a week, and I woke up yesterday with a sore throat.

So far, zinc lozenges and daily neti pot use have kept the worst at bay, but my throat still hurts. My sinuses have been pretty meh for the past two days, but I think more neti pot can take care of that...Normally colds run VERY fast through me. If I feel a sore throat one day, the next day I'm knocked flat. So feeling pretty normal on day 2 is a good sign, but I'd like to nip this in the bud completely, ASAP! I also plan to be sleeping more, because this week I've had projects due and my sleep schedule has definitely suffered. I will skip class all next week if that's what it takes!

My mom suggested salt water gargle, and I suppose that can't hurt. I tried it this morning and I'm not sure if it helped much. Maybe the water has to be hotter?

Any tips?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Salt water gargle every few hours is a good idea. Chinese medicine likes to get you to sweat it out--drink hot soup and get under the blanket, sweat! Put on socks and keep your feet warm. Drink plenty of fluids as you are doing it.

Basic Traditional Chinese medicine recommends making a soup of fresh ginger and green onion--super gross but you sound desperate.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Warm salt water is good, but it needs to be done hourly. Chai tea is nice for a sore throat, though its best to avoid adding any dairy. Chicken soup is also never a bad idea.

Hope you feel better!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Salt water gargle every few hours is a good idea. Chinese medicine likes to get you to sweat it out--drink hot soup and get under the blanket, sweat! Put on socks and keep your feet warm. Drink plenty of fluids as you are doing it.

Basic Traditional Chinese medicine recommends making a soup of fresh ginger and green onion--super gross but you sound desperate.
    Geez, and my mom said just gargling before bed worked.

Sounds like I'll have to bring some salt to work tomorrow then! If I still feel this okay....

I got accustomed to fresh ginger soup when I was recovering from stomach flu. Best anti-nausea remedy EVER. I'm sure green onion couldn't make it any worse.

Sweating shouldn't be a problem since it hit 80F yesterday. I was sweatin' last night, that's for sure!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Bring the soup to work too. Stay out of draughts and air conditioning, if possible.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Chicken soup ... and lots of it. Hope that you get better soon.

vCash
    Hot ginger.

Mix up some ground ginger in some boiling water with lemon and honey.

vCash
    Lots of fluids. Lots of rest. Vitamin C (seems to help me). Eat healthy. Try to minimize your stress levels -- tough to do right before the wedding, but deep breaths/gentle stretches/meditation would help, too.

vCash
    I agree with the ideas: fluids, rest, warm salt water gargles for throat, and neti pots. BTW, ginger helps a lot with morning sickness too... thinking ahead here, I know, lol. Hopefully you recover asap!

vCash
    Best remedy is sleep. Lots of it. Recharges your immune system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Best remedy is sleep. Lots of it. Recharges your immune system.
    Ditto. I have staved off many a cold by hitting the sack a few hours early.
    Figure skating is hard.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Sleep. Salt water, but you have to make is saturated salt water, lots of salt, shoUld taste horrible! I usually do 2-3 times at most.
    Capacol (sp?) works well for me.

To me too hot things (like soup and tea) sometimes akes a sor throat worse. I like ice water or ice cream. I have heard it makes the cell in your throat contract, where as hit liquids makes them expand. Alcohol is the same, rum toddys are not a good thing

Sleep and be well soon
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Zinc and Vitamin C. And I totally agree with madm, SLEEP (as much as you're able). And congratulations, btw!

O-

vCash
    Could say that alcohol kills anything. Have a great hens night.

Otherwise lots of rest.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Zycam and Cold-eeze lozenges non-stop. Vitamin C. Lots of fluids - ice pops can numb the throat.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Elderberry/Sambucol changed my life. I used to do Zinc/Zicam, but this seriously works so much better!! Aside from the time I had a bacterial infection (strep throat) the Sambucol worked every single time! Good luck! Being sick leading up to your wedding is not fun. If it doesn't get better in a few days stop by the doctor to make sure it's not strep.

vCash
    Zycam and Cold-eeze lozenges non-stop.
    Cold-eeze knocks it out in 24 hours for me. Leaves an aftertaste for a few hours, but it really works. Drink plenty of water, because it can also be constipating.

Surely stress is a factor in your busy life. Relax as much as you can and focus on enjoying your wedding day.

vCash
    Especially given the time of year, consider whether it's allergies. Stay inside, away from pollen.

vCash
    Oh, and my mom swears by Coptis Purge Fire. She has always had a weak throat, meaning she'll get a sore throat followed by a cold of varying degrees fairly often. Otherwise, she is one of the healthiest people I know! It's important to take Coptis Purge Fire as soon as you feel the symptoms coming on. My mom said it works for her every single time. I don't have her sore throat weakness, but I do keep Coptis Purge Fire around just in case.

O-

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I go for Cold FX and/or Zicam throat spray.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast