Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I've had my favorite strapless bra for over ten years now. Bought it for the 8th grade dance to go with my beautiful light blue spaghetti strap dress. I've had many strapless bras (and boyfriends ) since, but I've still never found anything quite as comfortable, so I still wear it regularly, even if the fabric is all scuffed up and it's starting to come apart. Boyfriend calls it my "icky bra".

vCash
    Ha! My 8th grade bra was a 28AA!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Mine would have been too...If I'd worn one in grade 8!

I got fitted in a lingerie shop in a small town a few years ago. The owner asked me what I normally bought. When I told her, she brought me one in that size, had me put it on, and then proceeded to show me all the ways it fit wrong. Then she just started throwing bras at me until she got the fit she was looking for. I'm in a bra that is 4 band sizes smaller and 4 cup sizes bigger. It's about time to spend another $100 on a new one. I'm looking forward to Nordstrom's opening in Calgary next year.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Mine would have been too...If I'd worn one in grade 8!

I got fitted in a lingerie shop in a small town a few years ago. The owner asked me what I normally bought. When I told her, she brought me one in that size, had me put it on, and then proceeded to show me all the ways it fit wrong. Then she just started throwing bras at me until she got the fit she was looking for. I'm in a bra that is 4 band sizes smaller and 4 cup sizes bigger. It's about time to spend another $100 on a new one. I'm looking forward to Nordstrom's opening in Calgary next year.
    Nordstrom RAWKS! It's my favorite store. It comes through for me for all occasions. I had been ordering stuff from them online for a long time before we got one in Peabody, Mass. a few years ago. Best. Store. Ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    The same happened to a friend of mine when she was visiting me last year and casually said she wanted to buy some new bras. I took her to bra nirvana, they took her down 3 backs and up 3 or 4 cups and she won't forgive me because she says she can't go back to what she wore before, which rules out the cheap ones

I would never have believed it made such a difference until I was in the right size. It was an absolute shock to find out what my right size was. Now I won't shut up about it - I'm just too happy not to be being stabbed by my underwire on a daily basis!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    It's so weird - I've been the same height and almost the exact same size since I was 12-13. Gained a few pounds from muscle weight when I started skating seriously, which has stayed since I quit (though I'm not sure it's still muscle anymore ). I ended up donating a lot of my clothes last year not because I'd outgrown them, but because I finally had to admit that it wasn't quite appropriate to be dressing like a middle school student anymore :

My mom (at 53) is still the same size as I am (24), though. Boyfriend sent me this last night and I guess there's some truth to that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    My mom (at 53) is still the same size as I am (24), though. Boyfriend sent me this last night and I guess there's some truth to that

I take my bra off almost as soon as I finish work, and only put it on again if I'm going out. I'd never think to sleep in one. I disagree that a good fitting bra is comfortable. More comfortable, of course, properly fitting clothes always are. People constantly wear wrong sizes knickers and jeans, too. I have lots of good fitting bras, and they're not comfortable; but I don't find socks comfortable either. Or gloves. I'd happily be a nudist if I didn't have body image issues. Hate wearing bras, socks, shoes... My most comfortable bras are Victoria Secret front clasping ones with the racer back, but I still take them off when I can.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was fitted recently at a specialty bra store and discovered I was wearing the wrong size and band style. Now my bras fit and are comfortable, but they are expensive. I have developed a latex/spandex allergy, and it is hard to find bras for the well endowed in cotton. So they come off as soon as I get home.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    It's so weird - I've been the same height and almost the exact same size since I was 12-13. Gained a few pounds from muscle weight when I started skating seriously, which has stayed since I quit (though I'm not sure it's still muscle anymore ). I ended up donating a lot of my clothes last year not because I'd outgrown them, but because I finally had to admit that it wasn't quite appropriate to be dressing like a middle school student anymore :

A lot of truth to that, although my grandma stayed super-skinny through her 70s. And my mom has no signs of weight gain as she approaches 60 and post menopause....which is actually bad because she's already been diagnosed with osteoporosis. She's actually much smaller than I am, but it makes sense since I'm 4 inches taller.

It definitely must be an Asian thing, because I'm also pretty much exactly the same weight/height as I was when I was 13. Between 12 and 13, I gained 10 lbs, all of it on my thighs, so I got some lovely stretch marks on my legs from them. Which is hilarious because I'm still a skinny stick. (I was a deathly-looking stick when I was a kid! ) I'm 29 now. The weight has just distributed itself differently now that I've been weightlifting, but I'm still the same size and weight.

And...I was wearing the wrong bra size until I was 25.

vCash
    Maybe vanity sizing has crept into bras, too. I had a Warner bra from 1999 (which fit perfectly and is no longer made) up until just a few months ago. Now, the Warner bras in that size are too small in the cup. I know stores like Old Navy are culprits in vanity sizing, especially pants, so maybe the bra makers are doing the same, except making you think your boobs are now bigger?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Maybe vanity sizing has crept into bras, too. I had a Warner bra from 1999 (which fit perfectly and is no longer made) up until just a few months ago. Now, the Warner bras in that size are too small in the cup. I know stores like Old Navy are culprits in vanity sizing, especially pants, so maybe the bra makers are doing the same, except making you think your boobs are now bigger?
    Oh, I totally think they are. Aerie (from American Eagle) is really bad. If you want to feel much bigger, shop there for bras. I think VS is off a bit as well. Bras there in the size I measure are too small.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yeah, vanity sizing galore. Most women would like to think their cup is bigger and their girth is smaller. How can it be that all of us have been wearing a cup size too small and a band size too big? And not a single person the other way around?

A patient of mine, a beautiful and young looking 50ish lady told me, only half-joking, that's what usually happens to Asian women. Is that really true and if so, why?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I've heard that theory, but I personally don't believe it. Most women don't want bigger boobs. When I worked as a fitter, there were tears and arguments when we tried to tell women they were bigger than the cup they had been wearing for years. They're either upset or just don't believe they're not an A cup, for example. My mother has had bras for more than 15 years and the size hasn't changed, at least not substantially. Why my mother has had bras that long (that are falling apart, no less) is another matter entirely

One thing that is true though is that the style of bras and the materials used to make them have changed. The measuring tape stores so often use automatically adds 4 inches to your rib measurement to get the band, so if you have a 28" underbust, they'll put you in a 32 band. That was great back in the 1930s when bras were made of rigid materials, but they're generally not any more. They're quite stretchy. This is why most women wear bras that are too big in the back. Older bras might actually be smaller in the back due to the material used, but shouldn't in theory be different in the cup, although we all know how much difference you can get between brands for any style of clothing - or within brands, for that matter!

Since you said that style is no longer made, it's possible that the other styles just fit differently on you which is why you need another size.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    A patient of mine, a beautiful and young looking 50ish lady told me, only half-joking, that's what usually happens to Asian women. Is that really true and if so, why?
    At least in my family and Boyfriend's, it is true (both for our family living in the US and in China). Haven't any idea why though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I don't find socks comfortable either.
    I HATE socks. I rip them off as soon as I get home - they come off even before my bra.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I love wearing socks. Shoes I take off whenever I can (including at work, if I can get away with it).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I wouldn't not wear a bra, especially after having a baby. They sag a little now. It makes me sad. They didn't get any bigger, but they decided to flatten out more. I'm a 32A, I don't need to be smaller!

vCash

This is more common than you might think. I was fully-grown at age 12, which meant I was 5'5", 118 lbs, had a 24-inch waist and a 34A chest. I'm 46 now and I'm 130 lbs (more muscle), have a 25-inch waist, and I wear a 36A bra. My mother, who is now 67, was also fully-grown at age 12, and her size has not changed over the years. She's still a 36A (runs in the family), and has probably a 26-inch waist. Whenever we gain weight, it's in our hips and thighs, never anywhere else. We have a tendency to be bottom-heavy, or pear-shaped. This is 100% genetic. (We're also of Polish descent.)

vCash
    I can't sleep without a bra on, and that's that. Boobs are just too big compared to my torso, if I sleep without a bra on I wake up really sore. But yes, wearing a regular bra when you sleep is very uncomfortable and I was told about its link to CTS.
    So a few years ago I grabbed a useless bra I had lying around (wrong size, 34D, turns out I'm a 32DD aka 34D's "sister size". I can't stress enough the importance of wearing the correct size) and removed the underwire, and loosened the straps, and voila!! Perfect sleeping bra.
    That's what I've been doing for the last couple years. Works fine for me.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I only take my bra off to bathe....
    I'm a US 38 C. Since I got pregnant, I've only taken it up one notch on the latch. Pretty comfortable.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast