Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Maybe the bigger question is why society maligns adult women for not having racks jutting out at 90-degree angles like a 14-year-old's. You don't see men being judged for hangin' low. It's called gravity, get over it.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And now get over this thread.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thankfully they're not yet saggy, but I know that day is coming.
    I have been waiting since age thirteen for my boobs to sag. They look way sexier when they have a little hang than the perky ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Well, for better or worse, I think they would get judged if they were on display.
    I suspect it wouldn't be half as harshly. First world problems. In parts of rural Sub-Saharan Africa, there are women walking around with their exposed fun-bags swinging around their navels and everyone is chill with it. Let freedom ring and let knockers hang.

vCash
    I guess when it comes down to it, I wear bras more for the modesty padding than for support, lol. Come to think of it, none of my bras are particularly "supportive', even the underwire ones. I wore those Haines Comfort elastic bras exclusively up until recently; now I have some pretty comfy cheap wire bras I found at Target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I guess when it comes down to it, I wear bras more for the modesty padding than for support, lol.
    When I dance, I never wear a bra, just a pair of body tights. Sadly, the 'modesty padding' is needed a lot more in skating.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I find overbust corsets more comfortable than bras. Even if I don't tightlace (which I don't, generally) being supported from beneath is a lot more comfortable than pulled from above. Even without having much to lift.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I'm another one who takes off her bra as soon as possible. I just don't find them comfortable. And I've been sized many, many times, always being told the same size, yet I always find that my bras ride up on me when I wear them, or they shift - they just aren't comfy. Which sucks, because while I have (in my opinion) rather nice boobs, they sit low on my chest and bras do help keep them up a bit (though not much). Thankfully they're not yet saggy, but I know that day is coming.
    Apologies in advance for the following tangent...

In recent years, I've learned too much about bra fitting. I have really bad back and neck problems, and finding out my real bra size has saved me from imminent surgery. And I used to be a bra fitter for a living. Believe me - if you've been sized in the US, Canada or Australia, chances are you weren't fitted correctly. The UK is the only place I've ever been where they know what they're doing, and even then it's hit and miss.

If your bra is riding up, it's the wrong size. It's that simple. Try a sister size - go down in the band and up one cup for every band size. The way I was taught to fit people at work, we'd generally put them in bands 2 sizes too big. Now I know that 80% of support from a bra comes from the band, and if it's too big, you'll find the straps dig in, the band rides up and it's uncomfortable, which sounds like what you're saying.

This calculator is pretty good, and this site also has a good explanation of sister sizes.
    This is just kind of funny , but also really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I find overbust corsets more comfortable than bras. Even if I don't tightlace (which I don't, generally) being supported from beneath is a lot more comfortable than pulled from above. Even without having much to lift.
    Most women are wearing the wrong sized band - usually way too big. Bras will only pull from above, i.e. from the straps, if the band is too big. I used to wear a 34, because that's what I was told and when I was trained as a bra fitter we had this tape measure that would automatically add 4 inches to your rib measurement to give you the band size. The 4 inch method is apparently rubbish. I went down to a 30 band...a size I had no idea existed and is impossible to buy most places - and now the straps don't dig in because the support is from around the back, not from above

My mother is the 'rip the bra off the moment you walk in the door type', but I don't understand it at all. I think she's wearing the wrong size - by a very long shot. Comfort is the #1 thing for me when buying a bra, followed by shape, then how pretty it is. I have enough back pain from injuries without a bra adding to it
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I was finally properly sized (1 band size smaller and 1 cup size bigger than I thought!), and I still take off my bra when I step into the house because even the feeling of something hugging my chest is not as comfortable as going au naturel. But then again I'm a very small B and as long as I don't jump up and down, it's perfectly comfortable.

Now my bras ride up even on the last hook because they're old, but I'm too cheap to throw them away yet. Does anyone has a use for bras that have been stretched out, but are still in fairly good condition?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am exactly in the same boat as Anita18. But once I got properly sized a got a few well-fitting and well-made bras, I don't even notice I am wearing them. I don't mind going without at home, or when lifting weights, I am small enough to be comfortable but for any other kind of exercise I go for the Athleta tops with built-in support. I don't run or do any kind of high impact exercise though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I was finally properly sized (1 band size smaller and 1 cup size bigger than I thought!), and I still take off my bra when I step into the house because even the feeling of something hugging my chest is not as comfortable as going au naturel. But then again I'm a very small B and as long as I don't jump up and down, it's perfectly comfortable.

Now my bras ride up even on the last hook because they're old, but I'm too cheap to throw them away yet. Does anyone has a use for bras that have been stretched out, but are still in fairly good condition?
    If you're having wisdom teeth surgery and get tired of holding ice up to both sides of your face at once, pack the cups full of ice and wrap them around your face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    If you're having wisdom teeth surgery and get tired of holding ice up to both sides of your face at once, pack the cups full of ice and wrap them around your face.
    Good one, but about 10 years too late.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    I never thought about that even being possible! I guess it's hard to imagine when you have tiny, pre-teen boobs. I never had that problem.

Well, it depends on how your sleeping as well. I like to curl up, so when pregnant every thing can just stick together and the bra is so loose it is basically like a layer of clothing. It is not supporting anything, really, more like a cropped tank with a soft elastic band.

I prefer to sleep naked, house fires be dammed!

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Apologies in advance for the following tangent...

If your bra is riding up, it's the wrong size. It's that simple. Try a sister size - go down in the band and up one cup for every band size. The way I was taught to fit people at work, we'd generally put them in bands 2 sizes too big. Now I know that 80% of support from a bra comes from the band, and if it's too big, you'll find the straps dig in, the band rides up and it's uncomfortable, which sounds like what you're saying.

Most women are wearing the wrong sized band - usually way too big. Bras will only pull from above, i.e. from the straps, if the band is too big. I used to wear a 34, because that's what I was told and when I was trained as a bra fitter we had this tape measure that would automatically add 4 inches to your rib measurement to give you the band size. The 4 inch method is apparently rubbish. I went down to a 30 band...a size I had no idea existed and is impossible to buy most places - and now the straps don't dig in because the support is from around the back, not from above

This is what I learned too seeing a proper bra fitter at one point in Denmark. When I moved to the US I mostly go to Vitorias Secret (pretty bras), but they usually give me the wrong size bra if they measure me, or say stuff like 'oh, we don't have that cup size with that band, but go up a band size, the cup will be a little bigger' - NO the point is the band has to be correct.
    My sizing has changed a bit up and down, but once you get to know the right 'feel' you can sort of know.

I do need to find a different place to buy bras (maybe I should try Macy's or Nordstroms), because while when I lost weight Victoria's Secret had my size, they now just don't have a big enough cup size.

From loosing weight I found that you can get a lot of 'sag' (as you get when having been pregnant, people used to think it was nursing, but the tissue changes towards the end of your pregnancy), but doing a LOT of chest presses etc (strengthening the muscle underneath) can really help with the shape.

I wouldn't understand taking off bras when I get home, too much work . I feel my nipples would chafe a bit on my shirts too I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

I would assume if you washed them you could donate them? I plan on doing that with some bras that don't fit - I assume that washing them and donating them would be useful for someone.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Never wash your bras in the washing machine, said the Nordstrom bra lady. That's how straps get stretched. It's the cardinal sin of bra care. So it's a lot of hand washing. Makes you want to just believe the study be done with those things.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Never wash your bras in the washing machine, said the Nordstrom bra lady. That's how straps get stretched. It's the cardinal sin of bra care. So it's a lot of hand washing. Makes you want to just believe the study be done with those things.
    I never do. The bras in question are a good 4 years old, so they're probably due to be thrown away. And they weren't THAT expensive...but still!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Man up and do it.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I have been waiting since age thirteen for my boobs to sag. They look way sexier when they have a little hang than the perky ones.
    Uh, no. Especially if you went from a 32 a to a 40 EE when pregnant. And as you get into your late 50's. hanging down to the bottom of your rib cage is not pretty. And I see too many of my friends both older and younger who look really fat around the middle when it is their boobs and not a well fitting bra.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    This big time. I used to just buy the size I thought I wore. which a large band width. It was always uncomfortable and never fit right. I know many people have a low opinion of bra fitters at Victoria's Secret, but damn the last time I was looking for bras I sucked it up and asked for help. She was outstanding. The band width supports me and the cup size is bigger than I ever thought - new bras fit great.

If there is no chance of anyone other than my husband in the house, I don't wear one to bed. If there is a possibility of anyone coming to our house or being in our house before I would normally get dressed, I wear a sports type bra. I don't know that MM wearing bras to bed is what would have kept them perky - gravity takes over at sometime unless they are saline.

vCash
    When I was an MA, one of the things we did was shoot chest x-rays, and if we weren't insanely busy, I always gave people the option to watch as their x-rays digitally developed, and show them where their lungs, heart, etc. were. We both (me and the patient) generally found this kind of fun.

Until one day when I was showing a regular patient of ours, who immediately blurted out, "Can you see my implants?"
    (Yes, we can.)
    She told me how excited she was, since she'd just gotten them two weeks ago, and proceeded to do this ridiculous hip swinging, arms over head whirling happy dance (did I mention the x-ray developing room was REALLY small ) while cheering like a cheerleader. Like, literally, she started banging her hip against mine. When I looked less than excited, she asked me if I had kids (I don't), and said, "Well, when you do, you'll understand. I've had two and then things really start to sag."

I stopped offering to show her her x-rays after that.

vCash
    Man up and do it.
    Okay!

Also, a good excuse to take REALLY advantage of sales at Gilly Hicks now. I'm so glad I found a brand that fits me, and it isn't expensive! I just hate throwing away old stuff that's still (technically) usable. I need someone to tell me to just throw it away. Alf has been my fridge watch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    She told me how excited she was, since she'd just gotten them two weeks ago, and proceeded to do this ridiculous hip swinging, arms over head whirling happy dance (did I mention the x-ray developing room was REALLY small ) while cheering like a cheerleader. Like, literally, she started banging her hip against mine. When I looked less than excited, she asked me if I had kids (I don't), and said, "Well, when you do, you'll understand. I've had two and then things really start to sag."

I stopped offering to show her her x-rays after that.
    I'm not sure how large my mother was up top before she got pregnant, but she has NO boobs after breastfeeding two kids. Barely mosquito bites. I'm not sure if that's any better!

But she'd be a terrific flapper!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yay, go Alf!! I know of a couple where one spouse sneaks out with a bag of old stuff and puts it outside in the trash and the other spouse sneaks it back in. It's a cycle. Don't get caught in it.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    How long are they supposed to last anyway? I always wash my bras (inside a netting) in the washing machine and then dry it in the dryer They still last for years...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast