Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash

French study: ditch your bras, ladies!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...161300096.html

Marilyn Monroe slept in a bra to keep her assets firm and perky, according to Hollywood lore. A new study out of France suggests it might have been more effective for the screen goddess to go "au naturel" instead.

Researchers spent 15 years studying the breasts of over 330 French women, and concluded that wearing a bra does not prevent sagging or ease back pain as commonly thought. "Medically, physiologically, anatomically—breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity, Professor Jean-Denis Rouillon, from the University of Besançon, told France Info Radio. "On the contrary, they get saggier with a bra."
    Thoughts?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    So...ditch the bras, pick up the bench press then?

vCash
    I always thought bras with underwires were just not natural or normal. One of the reasons I stopped wearing them many years ago. I found a good brand of cotton lycra camisole that is scupltured and shaped.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What about running without a sports bra? Has to be uncomfortable.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What about running without a sports bra? Has to be uncomfortable.
    It is.

vCash
    I remember an interview with Halle Berry where she said that she always wore a bra to bed. All I could think was - how uncomfortable.

So, does anyone else call it a day when the bra comes off? It takes a major even for me to put it back on once it's off. I really have to stop and think, do I want to put it back on?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i sleep in it most of the time. im much more comfortable with it on than off.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    There are wireless bras that are very comfortable that I could see myself wearing to bed/lounging. However, I don't see a reason to wear a bra to bed so I don't.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I totally think it depends on your anatomy. I'm smallish, but I do push-ups (100) everyday, and my little boobs seem to do ok with or without a bra.

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    , OliviaPug! A 100 push-ups a day!!!

from Speedy Death

vCash
    What about for men?

vCash
    Sleeping in a bra (esp. an underwire) is really annoying. But, during the day when I'm doing things, I need to be wearing one. Doing anything borderline physical without one is seriously uncomfortable.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I totally think it depends on your anatomy. I'm smallish, but I do push-ups (100) everyday, and my little boobs seem to do ok with or without a bra.

O-
    I've actually stopped doing bench presses (my upper back doesn't need to be pulled forward any more!) and I'm a small B and it's much more comfortable without a bra. My F-cup friend can do as many bench presses or pushups as she wants, but her girls will just continue to sag and hurt if she goes without a bra...:

vCash
    Thanks, IceAlisa I had a bizarre Dad growing up who, instead of doing the usual Father-Daughter things, insisted we do push-ups together ...

I'm grateful for it now!

Anita18: When I did bench presses years ago, I found it flattened my chest. Not exactly the look I was going for! It does really tighten things up, but it's not a great look for most women, IMHO. Looks great on guys though!

O-

vCash
    I'm a small (very small, I might add) B and I have to wear a good fitting sports bra while doing cardio. If not then boobs bouncing everywhere and it feels very uncomfortable. I would think if my tiny boobs require that then any female the same size or larger would need to wear one too!

vCash
    My doc told me that wearing a bra all the time increases your risk of breast cancer because it restricts breast fluids from circulating / draining freely. I used to sleep in a bra but when she told me that I stopped. And actually I was getting a little carpal tunnel - and that was alleviated when I stopped sleeping in the bra - the straps were apparently irritating the particular carpel tunnel nerve.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My doc told me that wearing a bra all the time increases your risk of breast cancer because it restricts breast fluids from circulating / draining freely. I used to sleep in a bra but when she told me that I stopped. And actually I was getting a little carpal tunnel - and that was alleviated when I stopped sleeping in the bra - the straps were apparently irritating the particular carpel tunnel nerve.
    Very interesting, and makes a lot of sense too.

O-

vCash
    I am extremely uncomfortable without a bra when moving about. I prefer underwire, but not in sports bras (or nursing bras). They have to fit well though.

I have some sleep bras which are very soft and loose, I use them while pregnant (bumping your boobs on your belly can get uncomfortable) and nursing (so I can wear nursing pads).

Normally I see no reason to wear bras while horizontal .
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My doc told me that wearing a bra all the time increases your risk of breast cancer because it restricts breast fluids from circulating / draining freely.
    I can't find a study that supports this notion. What kind of doctor was this?

And actually I was getting a little carpal tunnel - and that was alleviated when I stopped sleeping in the bra - the straps were apparently irritating the particular carpel tunnel nerve.
    Check out the mechanics of CTS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I am having a hard time understanding what a bra strap would have to do with CTS.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-12-2013 at 07:30 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My GP told me. And I am not sure how to explain the strap sleep thing - when I would sleep, the base of the bra would get pulled down from moving around - and cause the strap to dig into my shoulders, so sometimes I would wake up in the morning with a numb hand. When I stopped sleeping in the bra, that went away. (The median nerve in the wrist is ultimately connected through your shoulders.)
    What would Jenny do?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast