Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Twilight Zone
    Posts
    7,011
    vCash
    12630
    Rep Power
    92483
    Thanks for sharing the videos, orbitz. Rosaland's White Christmas program was quite impressive. I also agree about her program from 83 Nationals. The last part of that program was amazing.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Pro competitions were fixed and everyone knows it. That is why only skaters who truly owned with undeniable performances like Yamaguchi, Boitano, Browning, Sato, Biellmann, or made an impact through a combination of spectacular and stylish skating and legitimately strong competitive pro results like Wylie, Kadavy, Cousins, or those who had excellent pro careers as show skaters, do I give any credence to their pro careers. In the 85-88 pro quad Hamill was guaranteed to win the womens event, even though she was the only one doing nothing harder than a double flip or double loop anymore (Sumners was atleast doing double axels frequently), and then the 89-92 quad Thomas was guaranteed to win every event even though Biellmann and sometimes Sumners outskated her frequently. Thomas I liked alot but she was never the best pro skater, and probably didnt deserve a single of her World Pro titles if they were scored on merit. The only time Thomas ever impressed me much as a pro was her last event, the Coke Challenge or something, where she skated one of the most beautiful programs I ever saw her skate and should have won the event over Witt.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    23,082
    vCash
    80943
    Rep Power
    91368
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The only time Thomas ever impressed me much as a pro was her last event, the Coke Challenge or something, where she skated one of the most beautiful programs I ever saw her skate and should have won the event over Witt.
    The 1992 Diet Coke Championships.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Pro competitions were fixed and everyone knows it. That is why only skaters who truly owned with undeniable performances like Yamaguchi, Boitano, Browning, Sato, Biellmann, or made an impact through a combination of spectacular and stylish skating and legitimately strong competitive pro results like Wylie, Kadavy, Cousins, or those who had excellent pro careers as show skaters, do I give any credence to their pro careers. In the 85-88 pro quad Hamill was guaranteed to win the womens event, even though she was the only one doing nothing harder than a double flip or double loop anymore (Sumners was atleast doing double axels frequently), and then the 89-92 quad Thomas was guaranteed to win every event even though Biellmann and sometimes Sumners outskated her frequently. Thomas I liked alot but she was never the best pro skater, and probably didnt deserve a single of her World Pro titles if they were scored on merit. The only time Thomas ever impressed me much as a pro was her last event, the Coke Challenge or something, where she skated one of the most beautiful programs I ever saw her skate and should have won the event over Witt.
    Roslyn did beat Thomas at one of Thomas's first pro competitions when she skated to Spartacus and singled a double axel. I don't remember what Ros did but she beat Debbie.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Pro competitions were fixed and everyone knows it. That is why only skaters who truly owned with undeniable performances like Yamaguchi, Boitano, Browning, Sato, Biellmann, or made an impact through a combination of spectacular and stylish skating and legitimately strong competitive pro results like Wylie, Kadavy, Cousins, or those who had excellent pro careers as show skaters, do I give any credence to their pro careers. In the 85-88 pro quad Hamill was guaranteed to win the womens event, even though she was the only one doing nothing harder than a double flip or double loop anymore (Sumners was atleast doing double axels frequently), and then the 89-92 quad Thomas was guaranteed to win every event even though Biellmann and sometimes Sumners outskated her frequently. Thomas I liked alot but she was never the best pro skater, and probably didnt deserve a single of her World Pro titles if they were scored on merit. The only time Thomas ever impressed me much as a pro was her last event, the Coke Challenge or something, where she skated one of the most beautiful programs I ever saw her skate and should have won the event over Witt.
    It's true that they were fixed, and yet we saw some of the best pro performances by many skaters (you mentioned most of them). Many of them were memorable.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Roslyn did beat Thomas at one of Thomas's first pro competitions when she skated to Spartacus and singled a double axel. I don't remember what Ros did but she beat Debbie.
    That was the Challenge of Champions in 1988. I dont remember all the performances though and the only one I could find on youtube was Denise Biellmann, the winner:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANy2DIMSLg

    Denise won with a perfect 10 (10 10s) and Sumners and Thomas tied with a 98.0 (9.8 average) with Sumners taking 2nd due to the tiebreaker being the artistic mark where she was higher.

  7. #47
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Twilight Zone
    Posts
    7,011
    vCash
    12630
    Rep Power
    92483
    I don't believe all pro competitions were "fixed". Those competitions go back to the 70's and even earlier than that. I don't believe that competitions like the Worlds Professional Championships, Hersheys Kisses, Ice Wars were all fixed. That's too broad of a statement to just come out and say that pro competitions were fixed. It's like saying they were all fixed.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    In later years, it's true that the judges didn't give such high scores in these competitions as they had earlier; but, "fixed" is a very strong word, IMO.

  9. #49
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Twilight Zone
    Posts
    7,011
    vCash
    12630
    Rep Power
    92483
    Thanks, skatesindreams. It's just how I observed that statement. "Fixed" is definitely a strong word.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •