Thread: show lighting

vCash

show lighting

does anyone else here hate show lighting besides me? i've never seen anyone complain about this but i've always felt this way. sometimes it works and fits with the mood of the performance, but i hate how so many exhibitions and touring shows have to automatically feature show lighting across the board

to me it's often cheesy and gives the rink an almost claustrophobic feel. sometimes it's like those video games where you're the protagonist and you're wandering through a dark black maze with only a torch to light your way . maybe it's different when you're there in person?

vCash
    I am not crazy about show lighting although in some selected cases it adds mood to the performance. I hate it when there is too much lighting, like a kaleidoscope and it overpowers the skating and the performance.

vCash
    According to commentators, show lighting tends to confuse the skaters. ie. the moving spotlight and inability to see clearly may cause them to fall, if they have not become accustomed to it (eg. newbie gala skaters).

vCash
    Even in videos I find it difficult to see clearly who is who when there are group numbers. I wouldn't mind having some kind of subdued lighting, but I, personally, find show lighting annoying.

vCash
    I do not like show lighting. It gives me eyestrain. I prefer a fully lit arena so I, and the skaters, can see where they are going.
    I also find the glare of spotlights very hard on my aged eyes. It was even worse before I had my cataracts removed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    According to commentators, show lighting tends to confuse the skaters. ie. the moving spotlight and inability to see clearly may cause them to fall, if they have not become accustomed to it (eg. newbie gala skaters).
    I remember at one of the pro competitions Kovarikova & Novotny were skating in their first pro competition. Radka fell on the lights that were placed around the rink. They pleaded injury and were allowed to reskate the entire program, which they skated cleanly, and won. It was not fair to Bechke & Petrov who had skated very well. The point though is that skaters that are new to these lights can get confused and there is at least a possibility of an injury. For seasoned pro skaters it's nothing.