vCash

Yosemite Advice?

We have gone once before but stayed in a hotel and it was just 2 nights. We did the some easy hikes accessible from the tram but it was winter so we just stayed around the main area and then did the Valley Floor bus tour. We are going in the summer for 4 nights at Housekeeping Camp this time. Any thoughts on must see places outside of the main area? Any items you wish you brought and didn't or things you brought but didn't need? We are recreational hikers and novice with the great outdoors in general.

vCash
    As for what to bring, I'd just keep in mind that there are serious bear issues in Yosemite. If you're driving, bring as much of your own food ahead of time because food is expensive there. Definitely be prepared for both very hot weather and cooler weather. Bring proper hiking shoes. I'm always amazed at what people are wearing on their feet hiking really slippery places like the Mist Trail.

As for places to see, get out of the main part of the valley. The valley is totally packed in the summer. Hike Tuolumne Meadows or Glacier Point and go see the giant sequoias. In the valley, the Mirror Lake trail seems to be among the less crowded trails on the valley floor. The Ansel Adams gallery is worth visiting and, if you haven't seen the Ahwhanee Hotel before, it's an interesting hotel to see. Also, see if the Yosemite Association has any interesting programs going on while you're going to be there.

vCash
    Glacier Point
    Tuolumne Meadows
    Olmsted Point
    Tioga Meadows
    Parker and Mono Passes (hike up from Tioga Pass Road)
    Mariposa, Tuolumne, and/or Mariposa Groves

and, if you have a car, head over Tioga Pass and onto the East Side of the Sierra for:

Mono Lake
    June Lake Loop
    Devil's Postpile

... and a few other hikes on the east side. Please feel free to send me a private message for details.

vCash
    Hikes off the Tioga Pass Road (Yosemite's eastern entrance): http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-r...tioga-road.htm

It's not listed in the above link, but one of my most memorable hikes in my younger days was up Mount Dana in a day and I was rewarded by spectacular views at the top: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Dana
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    There is a bus that will take you up to the top of Glacier Point; you can hike down (the Panorama trail is supposedly very beautiful -- my husband and I go in late April or early May, when the Point is usually closed, so we haven't done this one yet). Hetch Hetchy and the trail to Wapama Falls is beautiful, but it is hotter than the Valley.

vCash
    YAY thank you all! The hike/difficulty lists are excellent.

For the Glacier Point - is there a fee for that bus? We will have a car so we can also drive if there is parking.

I'm overwhelmed about what to see! We are planning on getting up before sunrise for a quick bite and then the big "hike of the day" after we can have lunch back at camp and spend the afternoon at the river and pools. Has anyone done the art classes? It inexpensive - only $10, but it says 4 hours. I'd hate to miss 4 hours of outside time for art, but maybe it's worth it?

vCash
    There is a fee for the bus -- but it is the only realistic way to get there if you want to hike down to the Valley flor (otherwise, you have to hike back up to get your car). There is parking at the top of Glacier Point for cars -- and the hiking there is not limited to hiking back down to the valley floor.