Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I've heard a certain phrase for years where I live. I've also heard some people use it when I would be at one of the malls in Shreveport. I've heard it so much recently whenever I'm in town that I can no longer stand it. "Whatever chills your ice and melts your butter".

I don't even know if anyone here at FSU has even heard that phrase before.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I hate how most news media now constantly shoehorn this sort of slang into their coverage instead of demonstrating proper English. It's important to establish reader/viewer rapport, but media should adhere to at least some proper language standards so the young can be exposed to them. At the rate we're going, future generations will grow up subliterate without even realizing it because news outlets now legitimize slang.

Damn, I sound like an uptight old biddy! It's just that I work every day with young attorneys whose work I must constantly edit for fundamental spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, and it is driving me nuts. These people cannot fcuking write.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Something happened to me yesterday that I realized I really disliked. It's not WHAT somebody says, but HOW they said it. A woman said something to me and didn't speak clearly and I was left standing there going through all the possible comments she could have just said. It was just a throwaway comment, so not a big deal. But I wonder if people think I'm rude or unfriendly when I don't say anything...when really I'm just trying to figure out what they said so that I can respond. I guess I have to practise my "pardon me's???" more often.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Relevant to this thread, although not to PeterG's post...

How many people who dislike "It is what it is" feel the same way about "That's that"?

vCash
    ^^ Whatever will be will be. To each their own.

A lot of this stuff is just figures of speech, mundane annoyances and casual slang. Kinda interesting to discuss, yeah. But why not just stop being cra cra haters, get a life and deal with it peeps? Or else get together and write a book about your pet peeves, eh? ‘Nuff said?

No, just no, there’s more …

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Badams, I don't like "drop an album" either. I read somewhere that a singer dropped her album and after I realized that she did not drop it on the floor, I then thought she'd scrapped it and started over. Took me a while to realize it was available for sale.
    Maybe it’s somehow derived from giving birth, but without the baby bump?

Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    I dislike "gutted" - especially used multiple times about your disappointment about your favorite skater.
    I mean how many times can you be gutted and not succumb to the many wounds.

Reading a PBP of a skating competition with its many "gutted" is quite bloody.
    Reminds me of that famous MK vs Tara thread, but not in a good way.

Anyways, how do you feel about “Nationals is gonna be a bloodbath!” And, so and so skater has to skate “lights out” in order to beat the rest of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    "cra cra" is another good one ... for "crazy" ... using two words and six letters for one five-letter word? And, unfortunately, for those NOT in the know, "cra cra" is also a slang word for a part of the body. Never use "cra cra"! ...
    Hmmm, there’s a regular poster here who often uses that phrasing/ spelling. It just tends to make me smile, because it usually fits the context of what’s being posted about.

BTW, what part of the body, pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I am tired of commemorative days, weeks, months in the US. Some of them have a basis in a cultural holiday or significant event that is of importance to a group, and some of them are useful tools in publicizing the need for medical research, charitable donations, safety, and tolerance about various issues, but WTF is "National Hate a Nugget Month," which occurs in July. I assume it is not about the Denver Nuggets and, instead, has something to do with not eating fast food? March is also peculiar with National Celery Month, National Peanut Month, and National Frozen Food Month running all at the same time.
    How about, “Take Your Pet To Work Day” ???

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't like it when people that you'll never meet again say "Take care." Do they really care that I take care of myself? Do they even care that I'm still breathing after our fleeting, superficial meeting? H*ll NO!
    Come on, that’s just being polite and friendly, especially if genuinely meant. Better than being held up at gunpoint, eh? Or stabbed in the back by a two-faced colleague at work.

Now, here’s a couple of terms I don’t think have been mentioned yet:

Back-in-the-day -- somewhat overused, but I love it.

Calling skaters headcases -- Absolutely waayyy overused and should be banned. Or else, the accusers should be called such themselves every time their own nerves take over when they have to give a speech or perform in front of people, etc.

Take care y’all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Anyways, how do you feel about “Nationals is gonna be a bloodbath!” And, so and so skater has to skate “lights out” in order to beat the rest of the field.
    I always pictures skaters putting on their skates and then kicking/stomping all over each other when I see this

vCash
    Any expression that's used a lot, generally ends up being annoying to me: it can't possibly be that everyone suddendly likes it a lot, and it's the most appropriate in the most occasions.

I don't like the three dots either: try and make an effort to say what you mean, instead of just hinting, it's neater.

Things that deserve exclamation points also come around much less frequently than exclamation points do. And even in the right occasion, one exclamation point is enough, two or three are completely un-necessary.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    No dash necessary in the word unnecessary.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    No dash necessary in the word unnecessary.
    Thanks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Things that deserve exclamation points also come around much less frequently than exclamation points do. And even in the right occasion, one exclamation point is enough, two or three are completely un-necessary.
    Agree. There was a magazine I read for years that got a new editor, and suddenly there were exclamation points all over the cover. After the third month of reading her editor's letter and counting more exclamation points than periods, I gave up and have not picked up the magazine since.

Exclamation points are like a well placed swear word - can be very effective, but lose meaning and credibility when overused.

vCash
    I am & at some of the things that are listed here that are not even a ripple on my consciousness.

vCash
    I hate it when someone says "I hate it when someone says..."

vCash
    I hate it when someone respond to a criticism with something like "let's see how you do it!". For example if someone says an actor sucked in a play and someone would respond with "let's see you do standing up in front of a crowd". Or in figure skating when someone criticizes a jump and a defense would pop up such as "shut up let's see you do a jump then you probably can't even land a single". That really irks me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I hate it when someone respond to a criticism with something like "let's see how you do it!". For example if someone says an actor sucked in a play and someone would respond with "let's see you do standing up in front of a crowd". Or in figure skating when someone criticizes a jump and a defense would pop up such as "shut up let's see you do a jump then you probably can't even land a single". That really irks me.
    Yeah, me too. First of all, we're not all in the same profession, and we don't all have the same talents. And most of us would readily acknowledge that. Actors hold themselves out to be actors. Figure skaters hold themselves out to be figure skaters. If an actor has a bad performance or performances, are we not permitted to comment? That seems mighty strange considering there are folks who have made it a career to critique movies, plays, books, and all kinds of entertainment, and that "reviews" are a regular part of our daily media. Sports figures are public figures. If a sports figure has a bad outing, is no one to comment? Again, strange.

I do agree that some criticism is designed to be mean-spirited and not the least bit insightful, and I am not a fan of that type of criticism. I still don't think the response, "Let's see how well you do that," is the least bit relevant and sounds like something a 5 year old would say. It reminds me of the comment: "I know you are, but what am I?"

O-

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just found an article that fits with this thread about irritating things people say. What's funny is the article is about "Top 10 Most Annoying Cliches"...and not one of the ten clichés is actually a cliché:

10. To be honest...
    9. Basically...
    8. I'm not even joking
    7. With all due respect
    6. Giving it 110% (could this one be a cliché??)
    5. The fact of the matter
    4. Yeah, no...
    3. You know what I mean?
    2. At the end of the day...
    1. Turned around and said...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    To be honest, I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say phrase #1. Know what I mean?

vCash
    People should not use cliches without proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    5. The fact of the matter
    This is an awful figure of speech that must die. Yes, I really do feel that strongly about it. Make it go away!

Also, it never actually prefaces any facts.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    People should not use cliches without proper training.
    Brilliant! I bumped up the Cliches People Say...That Drive You Crazy thread for more stuff like this!

More annoying expressions I found online below. I don't consider these clichés, although after reviewing the definition of cliché online, I guess they apply. I didn't think a word or two, even a short phrase could be considered a cliché. I thought it had to be a full (trite) sentence with a full thought/meaning. Anyway, here's my attempt to annoy you...

In any way, shape, or form
    Last time I checked [when used in a sarcastic way]
    Think outside the box
    Hit the ground running
    It is what it is
    Reinvent the wheel
    To cut a long story short

Let’s cut to the chase

Start with a clean slate
    Going forward

Paradigm shift

It goes without saying

My two cents

Where I’m coming from

Let’s touch base

Team player I’m just saying…
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-13-2013 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    The most annoying expression to me that is currently trending is .......

TRENDING!!!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    The most annoying expression to me that is currently trending is .......

TRENDING!!!
    Speaking of trendy expressions, "on trend" is far worse.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast