Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    It's interesting because we just went through a seminar at work which dealt with improving customer service. They actually said that saying "You're welcome" after someone thanks us is fine, but it's even better to use more personal phrases like, "my pleasure," etc. I think it's been the norm for ages (at least in my experience) that these little phrases are for use in being polite and nice, i.e., "how are you?", "it's nice to meet you," and such.
    Reminds me of a job I had in high school. I was a cashier at Kmart, and we were trained to say "thank you for shopping at Kmart" at the end of every transaction - there were even TYFSAK stickers on the cash registers to remind us. Then a big directive comes down from head office that we are changing it to TYSOK - thank you for shopping our Kmart.

Anyway, I rebelled and refused to do it. I would say have a nice weekend, hope the party goes well (if there were buying party supplies obviously), enjoy your new bike, whatever suited the situation. And did I mean it? Yes - I enjoyed that job very much and found that when I approached customers with friendliness they were friendly back.

Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I'm afraid to say anything around here now
    No kidding.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Saying "chop chop!" doesn't make me do something quicker, it makes me want to punch the speaker in the face. But, as I'm not a violent person, I don't do punching. I just do whatever it is I'm supposed to do much slower than I normally would.
    Oh I hate that. My husband uses that phrase all the time. Drives me nuts. I respond with " whatever," which he also uses way too often.

Another one I hate is "that sounds like a personal problem." I have 2 friends who use that phrase and it comes off like they are saying they don't give a $hit. If I say I don't like wheat pasta or country music or some actor, they respond with this phrase. I can see if I were giving out unwanted personal info (TMI), but that isn't the case.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    "Whatever" is my pet peeve,
    I "whatever" a lot in my mind.
    Find it too rude to say it out loud
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I was a cashier at Kmart, and we were trained to say "thank you for shopping at Kmart" at the end of every transaction - there were even TYFSAK stickers on the cash registers to remind us. Then a big directive comes down from head office that we are changing it to TYSOK - thank you for shopping our Kmart.
    Oh man, it feels really impersonal when a customer service employee ends a transaction with a variation of, "Thank you for choosing (full name of business)." If the customer feels like he or she has had a friendly rapport with that employee, the formal ending is awkward. A simple "Thank you" is more friendly and natural.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont know when people started saying first world problems but it really annoys me. also, it sounds insincere unless it's followed up with mailing half your sandwich to malawi.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    It drives me nuts when people respond to my thank - you with "uhuh." My other pet peeve is "I personally ..." Is that different from the I that isn't personal?

I have been known to say "it is what it is" even though I can't stand that saying. I hear it all the time and sometimes it just slips out
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont know when people started saying first world problems but it really annoys me. also, it sounds insincere unless it's followed up with mailing half your sandwich to malawi.
    It's my way of acknowledging that my problem is really lame in comparison to people who have really problems.

I also sometimes say "it is what it is." It's usually about something negative I can't do anything about.

I will try to do better.

As long as no one tries to "touch base" with me.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i get what people mean by it but it still makes me want to hurt them. if someone ever put first world problem and veggie in a sentence i would take hostages.
    touching base also makes me really stabby.

i admit that sometimes at work when i relay bad news and i get pushback, i have said it is what it is. it is my way of saying shut the hell up and do it without getting in trouble with HR.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    New peeve: that girl can "SANG". Uh what? It's spelled "sing" buddy. I just want to ask the person if they need remedial spelling help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i get what people mean by it but it still makes me want to hurt them. if someone ever put first world problem and veggie in a sentence i would take hostages.
    touching base also makes me really stabby.
    Just touching base here -- is worrying about whether to serve veggies with hollandaise sauce or go with a polonaise topping a first world problem?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    As long as no one tries to "touch base" with me.
    Unless it's a baseball player.

I really really hate when people give you the "deets." What is wrong with details?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    I really really hate when people give you the "deets." What is wrong with details?
    I've never heard that one. I can see it could be aggravating.

I hate it when someone says, "Can I run this past you?" Why don't they just say, "Would you look at this?" Mind you, I sometimes say it myself if the joke will be understood.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 04-16-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I've never heard that one. I can see it could be aggravating.

I hate it when someone says, "Can I run this past you?" Why don't they just say, "Would you look at this?" Mind you, I sometimes say it myself if the joke will be understood.
    People use the expressions "Can I run this past you?" or "Can I run this by you?" also when they're speaking and not showing something to someone else. It's just another way of asking for an opinion. That doesn't bother me so much. It's a little less formal than saying, "Can I have your opinion on this?"

But "deets"? Awful!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    New peeve: that girl can "SANG". Uh what? It's spelled "sing" buddy. I just want to ask the person if they need remedial spelling help.
    It always makes me think of Alfalfa of The Little Rascals:
    (Replying to Spanky) You know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna SANG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Oh now I have another one... people who add extra letters to the end of the last word in every sentence. "It's sold outttttt! So unfairrrrr!" For awhile it seemed mostly to be in my sister's preteen crowd, but now I see full grown adults using it, and it's not cutesy anymore. Especially when the word you add a whole row of consonants to is my name it ends in "y", not "yyyyyyy", thank you very much.
    Guess you won't be buying and crab, tiger, and almond requisite-tttttttt from Monty Python, then!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was just talking to one of our admins about a work project. Another admin walked up and said "I don't mean to interrupt...." then interrupted and kept talking and talking while I stood there waiting. That drives me nuts. To make matters worse, it was about something personal and not work related at all. I had to go to a meeting so I had to interrupt her and say, "we were just in the middle of something." She clearly thought I was rude. I don't mind if someone interrupts me with work when I am having a personal conversation or just discussing current events. But the other way around and with "I don't mean to interrupt...."
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I can't stand "stick a fork in [someone]."

Might have been clever the first time someone said it, but by the second time the slight wit is exhausted and it just becomes an unpleasant cliche.

Sounds painful if taken literally, demeaning in comparing people to food, and not even very accurate if the meaning is meaning is that the person is "done" in the sense of no longer of value rather than "ready to be enjoyed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But a job is not a pleasure, and fixing whatever whiny complaint a customer has is not 'my pleasure' to almost anyone.
    Anyone who has that attitude has NO BUSINESS working in customer service. I work in retail steel and, if I ever had that attitude with a customer who had a problem with one of the material certifications it is my responsibility to send, I would have been fired a long time ago, especially if I ever pissed off one of the customers who spends tens of thousands of dollars a year buying from my employer. That includes having to re-send certs that they lost, or having to do certs for an order where they forgot to request them. I don't argue with them about it, I just look up the order, print the certs, fill out the stamp and send them. ~~ I also work as receptionist, so I also have the challenge of keeping whatever work pressure i may be dealing with at the time out of my interactions with callers.

Whatever it is, you do it quickly and you do it with a smile. The customer is doing YOU a favor by bringing their business to your employer instead of another venue, and it is the customer who signs your paycheck, NOT the head of the company you work for.

vCash
    I hate hearing "you know". Some people use that phrase in between every 4 words!

vCash
    I hate it when people reprimand me for interrupting them, when they clearly have no qualms about interrupting me! It makes me seethe.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast