Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't like it when people that you'll never meet again say "Take care." Do they really care that I take care of myself? Do they even care that I'm still breathing after our fleeting, superficial meeting? H*ll NO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I can remember being so annoyed at my mother who would say things like "my bad" and it was so damn annoying.
    I remember many years ago, someone on this board asked about a phrase her daughter and friends said, and she asked if anyone knew what "my bag" meant. So hilarious!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "Reporting out" rather than just "reporting".
    That sounds like there is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    "Swag".

vCash
    It answers the question. They could also say "It is not."
    Right, but it sounds like a dweeb trying to be profound when the matter is mundane. Saying "I do" at one's wedding is fine because getting married is a big moment. Saying "I do" when someone asks if you eat pizza? Pretentious.

vCash
    When someone says something then adds "but that's neither here, nor there" urks me. You obviously felt it was important enough to say, don't disqualify it by saying that. What's the point of saying so in the first place, if it's neither here nor there. UGH!
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Right, but it sounds like a dweeb trying to be profound when the matter is mundane. Saying "I do" at one's wedding is fine because getting married is a big moment. Saying "I do" when someone asks if you eat pizza? Pretentious.
    Okay, I guess it makes some sense from that perspective. I've said I do to the pizza question, but in my defense, we said "I will" at our wedding.

vCash
    Okay, I guess it makes some sense from that perspective. I've said I do to the pizza question, but in my defense, we said "I will" at our wedding.
    Actually, I've never been to a wedding where it was not "I will".

heckles, do you take offense at all non "yes" or "no" answers? My mother-in-law asked "is it cold out there?" yesterday. I believe I said "colder than it was at our house; it's awful" (seriously--15 degrees colder a mere 20 miles away!) Was that pretentious? Just checking. Seriously, I suppose the words "it is" could be pretentious but that would depend heavily on the tone.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Heckles is a dweeb.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Heckles is a dweeb.
    I am.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't like it when people that you'll never meet again say "Take care." Do they really care that I take care of myself? Do they even care that I'm still breathing after our fleeting, superficial meeting? H*ll NO!
    On that note "Nice to meet you" is probably in the same realm. Especially when it happens when you're first introduced. No one knows, at this point, if the other person is nice or not and if it is actually nice to meet that person. It has happened to me a lot over the past months and as a European it makes me roll my eyes each time because it seems like such a standard phrase that you're expected to repeat back and there doesn't seem to be any meaning behind it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    On that note "Nice to meet you" is probably in the same realm. Especially when it happens when you're first introduced. No one knows, at this point, if the other person is nice or not and if it is actually nice to meet that person. It has happened to me a lot over the past months and as a European it makes me roll my eyes each time because it seems like such a standard phrase that you're expected to repeat back and there doesn't seem to be any meaning behind it.
    "How are you" can slip into that category as well. I once had a co-worker who would say "hihowareyou" to every person she passed in a hallway without ever stopping. Not a chance she had any interest in an answer.

vCash
    I can't remember what book I just read, but it was about a non-native English speaker integrating into the US. One of the first things they said they found out was no on cares how you are, but everyone will ask. Answering honestly results in weird looks.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    "Surreal" is overused too.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE it when someone says "'nuff said!" I find it soooooooo condescending, annoying and just smacks of "I'm right and you're wrong so nah-nah nah-nah NAH nah!"

Am I the only one?
    Yes. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think its use should be restricted to situations like this.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    And "eclectic" and "egregious". It's as though someone has learned a new word and is determined to get it into the conversation, whether it belongs there or not.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    It irritates me when people say "not to mention", then proceed to mention exactly the thing it seemed they thought was unnecessary. Ugh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenLady View Post
    It irritates me when people say "not to mention", then proceed to mention exactly the thing it seemed they thought was unnecessary. Ugh!
    Not to mention the goldfish:
    The phrase you mention (“not to mention”) is an idiomatic expression in English similar to another one, “let alone.” What the speaker means is that the thing that follows, whatever it is, hardly needs to be mentioned, or is to be taken almost for granted, or is so obvious that it’s practically unnecessary to say it. ... Although “not to mention” may not make literal sense, it’s been in common use in English since at least the 17th century. The earliest published reference in the Oxford English Dictionary comes from Milton’s 1644 treatise Of Education."
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I think its use should be restricted to situations like this.
    Exactly. Not just generically weird.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    On that note "Nice to meet you" is probably in the same realm. Especially when it happens when you're first introduced. No one knows, at this point, if the other person is nice or not and if it is actually nice to meet that person.
    No one knows? I do. When introduced to my nephew's new girlfriend for the first time, it was nice to meet her because I care very much about my nephew. When I shake hands with a new colleague, it's nice to meet them because we are going to be working together and getting to know them is a good start to a productive relationship. When introduced to a friend of a friend who I've heard about before, it is nice to finally meet them in person.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast