Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I don't mind most of the things mentioned here, but I really don't like it when someone tells someone to "get a life". How much more insulting can you get than to imply that someone doesn't have a life?
    I much prefer "take a pill" to "get a life."

Badams, I don't like "drop an album" either. I read somewhere that a singer dropped her album and after I realized that she did not drop it on the floor, I then thought she'd scrapped it and started over. Took me a while to realize it was available for sale.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I see little wrong with "nuff said".
    There was nothing wrong with it in 1986, but there was also nothing wrong with watching Growing Pains back then either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I never really got that expression. Ice is hard and definitely can be slippery, but it isn't always that slippery. I always figured that people who mainly interact with ice as ice cubes made up/use that expression.
    I usually hear it in the context of figure skating competitions, with the meaning that the competition surface is unpredictable and therefore the results can be unpredictable.

But it could also be applied in a broader, metaphorical sense: life is slippery and unpredictable.

vCash
    I dislike "gutted" - especially used multiple times about your disappointment about your favorite skater.
    I mean how many times can you be gutted and not succumb to the many wounds.

Reading a PBP of a skating competition with its many "gutted" is quite bloody.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    "It is what it is." Most annoying phrase on the planet at the moment .

I also have a serious pet peeve when words are shortened. That aggravation started when I first heard the word "parents" reduced to " 'rents" about 20 years ago. I mean, how fcuking lazy do you have to be to go from two syllables to one? .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Badams, I don't like "drop an album" either. I read somewhere that a singer dropped her album and after I realized that she did not drop it on the floor, I then thought she'd scrapped it and started over. Took me a while to realize it was available for sale.
    I despise the book equivalent: "book X releases on this and that date". What does the book release? Rainbows and sunshine? Noxious fumes? Its long-held breath? A book is released, it doesn't have agency and cannot release itself.

vCash
    I hate the word "hubby". Seriously hate it. I want to wretch whenever I hear it. I was once told that I would love this word once I was married. Married nearly four years now and still hate it. Someone recently referred to mine as "your hubby". I said please call him by his name.

I also hate the extremely condescending psychobabble use of "I'm sorry you feel that way". Most of the time, the person is not sorry at all and just trying to avoid responsibility for something offensive. This one was thrown at me on FB recently when I noted that an anti-Obama meme containing the "n" word was crossing the line. No way was that poster sorry about anything.

And, finally, this one is limited to certain church circles and my hatred is probably related to my current family situation: being told by people that they are praying for you with the caveat that they can't help at all but praying is far better than that. My family doesn't need prayers (that I doubt are being said anyway) as much as we need concrete help and support. Stop telling me you are praying and take five minutes out of your day to ask how we are instead. Right now, that is better. Or, you know, try doing both. An elderly relative who is a priest seems to manage to do both-- encouraging cards, letters, calls and prayers. All at once. Imagine that.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I just had an irrationally strong reaction to someone sending me an email with their "deets". We're in a work setting. If they didn't have time to type out, "contact information" or "phone number' , couldn't they have just settled for "info".
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I just had an irrationally strong reaction to someone sending me an email with their "deets". We're in a work setting. If they didn't have time to type out, "contact information" or "phone number' , couldn't they have just settled for "info".
    I don't think there is anything irrational about your reaction -- especially since I had never heard/read "deets" before and could only think of DEET.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Since I'm not familiar with the word "deets" or it's meaning, I would have e-mailed the individual back and told them to please use plain English and kindly explain the meaning of the word ... if there is such a word.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    "cra cra" is another good one ... for "crazy" ... using two words and six letters for one five-letter word? And, unfortunately, for those NOT in the know, "cra cra" is also a slang word for a part of the body. Never use "cra cra"!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    People who use the phrase "I'm not a racist, but" usually proceed to say something that is, in fact, racist.
    ...or "Some of my best friends are..."

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    There was nothing wrong with it in 1986, but there was also nothing wrong with watching Growing Pains back then either.
    LOL! And I'll admit that 1986 was probably the last time I heard someone say it!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I am tired of commemorative days, weeks, months in the US. Some of them have a basis in a cultural holiday or significant event that is of importance to a group, and some of them are useful tools in publicizing the need for medical research, charitable donations, safety, and tolerance about various issues, but WTF is "National Hate a Nugget Month," which occurs in July. I assume it is not about the Denver Nuggets and, instead, has something to do with not eating fast food? March is also peculiar with National Celery Month, National Peanut Month, and National Frozen Food Month running all at the same time.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Somebody at work just said "too bad, so sad". That isn't terribly cute to say when you are 8, and even less so when you are 48.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    "Reporting out" rather than just "reporting".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Somebody at work just said "too bad, so sad". That isn't terribly cute to say when you are 8, and even less so when you are 48.
    I'll confess to sometimes saying "as Carly Patterson would say "awww, that's too bad" " but nobody ever knows what I'm talking about. It's a reference to her either utterly sweet, or totally snarky comment when one of her competitors fell on an element and took herself out of contention for the gold.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I'll admit that 1986 was probably the last time I heard someone say it!
    Something more annoying recent is people who answer a YES or NO question with a noun and a verb. As in, you ask if it's cold outside and the other person answers, "It is."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    "It is what it is." Most annoying phrase on the planet at the moment .
    YES!!!! I was trying to think of this one earlier. Anyone who says it to me gets the Fusar-Poli death stare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Something more annoying recent is people who answer a YES or NO question with a noun and a verb. As in, you ask if it's cold outside and the other person answers, "It is."
    I don't really see a problem with that. It answers the question. They could also say "It is not."

It makes me think of having to answer in complete sentences in school
    "Is it cold outside?" "It is cold outside."

My peeve is when people "rant and rave" about something and all they do is rant. People don't seem to know what it means to rave.

I also don't like when people who are old try to sound hip by picking up young slang. I can remember being so annoyed at my mother who would say things like "my bad" and it was so damn annoying. Now that I'm 'old people' (sort of) I don't try to sound like the college kids I'm surrounded by at work. I distinctly remember it not being cool when I was a kid, so I can't imagine it would be cool now.

vCash
    Yolo If I don't want to do it, I don't want to do it. I don't care that we only live once

Aiight, because all right/alright is apparently too long

When I use "whatever" it is indeed similar to an F-you...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast