Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    A lot of people are now using "ridiculous" as a compliment, meaning the opposite of its actual meaning.

I hate certain nouns as verbs, such as "party."

"Focus in on," bothers me because it sounds redundant.

Misuse of the word "like" bothers many people, but it's misused in a different way now, i.e. as a substitute for "said," in the same manner as some people say "he goes," instead of "he said."

Now people say: So I'm like, "why were you so late?" So he's like, "I missed the bus."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    All of that may be true, but it still irritates me.

Some of the previously mentioned ones that I also can't stand are "it is what it is", and "shut up!", when used in the context of disbelief. Even worse is "shut the front door!". It makes me cringe.

vCash
    People around here seem to have forgotten the phrase "to be".
    I hate when I hear "My car needs washed". It needs TO BE washed! Or needs washing. But needs washed- URGH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I hate certain nouns as verbs, such as "party."
    "Party" has been a verb as well as a noun for a long time. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Misuse of the word "like" bothers many people, but it's misused in a different way now, i.e. as a substitute for "said," in the same manner as some people say "he goes," instead of "he said."

Now people say: So I'm like, "why were you so late?" So he's like, "I missed the bus."
    That grates on my nerves, too. It's right up there with the non-stop use of "you know" as a verbal filler. (I think I once counted at least 3 dozen times someone larded a 2 minute interview with "you know." It ended every sentence -- and nearly every phrase. )
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    No one knows? I do. When introduced to my nephew's new girlfriend for the first time, it was nice to meet her because I care very much about my nephew. When I shake hands with a new colleague, it's nice to meet them because we are going to be working together and getting to know them is a good start to a productive relationship. When introduced to a friend of a friend who I've heard about before, it is nice to finally meet them in person.
    ITA. I'm always happy to meet people for the first time -- unless their bad reputation precedes them. It's later on that you might discover they are not the type of person you want to have an association with.

But saying "the pleasure is all mine" is kind of a strange comment when responding to someone's, "It's nice to meet you."

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    But saying "the pleasure is all mine" is kind of a strange comment when responding to someone's, "It's nice to meet you."
    I might say that if I met the President Obama or something. It would probably be true on both ends.

It is often nice to meet people, and like you say, it is later you wish you hadn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I might say that if I met the President Obama or something. It would probably be true on both ends.
    True. I guess it's sort of humble statement to make -- and also self-deprecating that the other person couldn't possibly be pleased meeting you!

O-

vCash
    i hate when people say veggie instead of vegetable. so much hate.
    What's even worse is when they say "fruit and veg." Or just "vegs".

Just sayin' annoys me especially when it's middle aged radio people, but nothing sets my teeth on edge like yum. Yummy. Yummers. Nom nom nommy nummers. I quit reading those terrible Yelp restaurant reviews because of those non words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post

Just sayin' annoys me especially when it's middle aged radio people, but nothing sets my teeth on edge like yum. Yummy. Yummers. Nom nom nommy nummers. I quit reading those terrible Yelp restaurant reviews because of those non words.
    My mom spells it "veges". Drives me crazy.

vCash
    ...but nothing sets my teeth on edge like yum. Yummy. Yummers. Nom nom nommy nummers. I quit reading those terrible Yelp restaurant reviews because of those non words.
    Well then I would guess you don't own any YUM! Brands stock.

vCash

Ooops! You'd have serious issues with my pugs and me then. I call their treats "yummies" and they sure know what *that* means!

O-

vCash
    This thread reminds me of how much I dislike Rachael Ray because:

sammies for sandwiches
    EVOO for extra virgin olive oil
    and various other vile abbreviations

But what I really hate is people calling me Hon who don't know me
    For one thing, it sounds like Hun, and while annoying, I am not quite Attila the Scourge of God.
    For another thing, they are usually using it in a condescending way to mean "old lady." Yes, I'm old, and well aware of it. I don't need you to remind me.

And a final note: I really dislike people who say "We" will be doing something when they will not be doing it, I will. It's so kindergarten teacher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

But what I really hate is people calling me Hon who don't know me
    And add to that sweetie, dear and any other condescending or patronizing name usually called to women from ( mostly creepy) men who are complete strangers.

Ugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    And add to that sweetie, dear and any other condescending or patronizing name usually called to women from ( mostly creepy) men who are complete strangers.

Ugh.
    Around here, those are terms of endearment said between women.

vCash
    I usually hear "sweetie" from gay men when they are being condescending--to both men and women.

vCash
    People of all ages and sexes call me Sweetie all the time. Doesn't bother me at all. Now tell me something is Yummy? That's it, I'm putting Visine in the Yummy food. see how non non nommy nummers you find it now.

vCash
    I can't abide when some of my co-workers greet their patients as, "hey young man, or young lady" when the people are clearly elderly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Around here, those are terms of endearment said between women.
    When someone doesn't know you (waitresses, checkout ladies), clearly there is no endearment involved.

In FL, it comes off as the extension of "Bless your (or her) heart," which is Florida lady passive / agressive BS for she/you are a total loss.

Sort of like with "all due respect," when it's clear the speaker thinks no respect is due.

vCash
    I hate it when in response to someone's comment, people just write "this". Is it that hard to type "I agree", "definitely" or "indeed"? Show some imagination, people

Also, anything that starts with "that moment when you..." or variations thereof. It is neither cute nor funny.

vCash
    Saying "chop chop!" doesn't make me do something quicker, it makes me want to punch the speaker in the face. But, as I'm not a violent person, I don't do punching. I just do whatever it is I'm supposed to do much slower than I normally would.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast