Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Stabbing at a Texas college near Houston- 14 injured

This is breaking news on both CNN & NBC- not much info yet, but 14 were injured in the stabbing incident

http://www.nbcnews.com/

ETA: Some more info.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/justic...ing/index.html

I am afraid this incident could turn into a political issue about guns (e.g. "if only someone had a gun he could have shot the stabber...")
    Last edited by Vash01; 04-09-2013 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Horrible incident and thank god no one was killed. There are two who were seriously injured and still in hospital.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Two are in critical condition. I hope they survive. A 21 year old suspect is detained.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am afraid this incident could turn into a political issue about guns (e.g. "if only someone had a gun he could have shot the stabber...")
    Because the anti-gunners never use a tragedy to bolster their political agenda?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Because the anti-gunners never use a tragedy to bolster their political agenda?
    I guess you think the grieving parents want gun reform for THEIR political agenda?

IMO there is no place for guns in a civilized society, except for law enforcement and the military. Nothing to do with politics. I am not a politician.

vCash
    I guess you think the grieving parents want gun reform for THEIR political agenda?
    Red herring. It's not only the grieving parents who are all over the news after these tragedies happen.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Not to turn this into yet another dead horse about gun ownership/CC rights vs. gun control, but the hard truth is that if a trained, licensed gun owner had been in close proximity, she or he could have greatly reduced the number of injured victims.

IMO there is no place for guns in a civilized society, except for law enforcement and the military. Nothing to do with politics. I am not a politician.
    Hate to break it to you, but what you envision is not so much a civilized society so much as it is a Utopian fantasy that is impossible to exist in this day and age.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    Guns are already allowed on college campuses in Texas, with certain restrictions - only in parking lots and on sidewalks:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...llege-campuses

There is a bill that will allow them to be carried in college buildings as well:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...83R&Bill=HB972

In the end, the guy was subdued by another student, a big guy who tackled him.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Guns are already allowed on college campuses in Texas, with certain restrictions - only in parking lots and on sidewalks:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...llege-campuses

There is a bill that will allow them to be carried in college buildings as well:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...83R&Bill=HB972

In the end, the guy was subdued by another student, a big guy who tackled him.
    Yeah, being in Texas, I figured there were probably people hanging around with a gun already. And if the stabber had had a gun, he couldn't have been brought down with a tackle.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Not to turn this into yet another dead horse about gun ownership/CC rights vs. gun control, but the hard truth is that if a trained, licensed gun owner had been in close proximity, she or he could have greatly reduced the number of injured victims.

Hate to break it to you, but what you envision is not so much a civilized society so much as it is a Utopian fantasy that is impossible to exist in this day and age.
    Only in the USA.

Many other countries in the world would appear like a Utopian fantasy to you. They do just fine without assuming that the solution to every proble is everyone carrying a gun, and they have a lot less violence/murders/accidental deaths/mass killings. That's no fantasy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Yeah, being in Texas, I figured there were probably people hanging around with a gun already. And if the stabber had had a gun, he couldn't have been brought down with a tackle.
    Leo Johnson, the security guard who was shot at FRC, brought down the gunman with a tackle.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Which one is FRC?
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    At the Gabby Giffords shooting, there were plenty of people carrying guns (it being Arizona and all), but none of them could get a clear shot off (at least the two who talked to the media). In the end, the shooter there was tackled as well.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    such a tragedy

I know that people who are pro-gun owner ship probably will not see it this may, but to me it invalidates the whole 'if people didn't have guns there would be other ways to kill people', as it is much harder to kill people with a blank weapon. I say at least the guy didn't have a gun!
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    At the Gabby Giffords shooting, there were plenty of people carrying guns (it being Arizona and all), but none of them could get a clear shot off (at least the two who talked to the media). In the end, the shooter there was tackled as well.
    The Giffords case is not the best example to use for the point you're trying to make here. Joe Zamudio, who tackled Gifford's shooter, was carrying a handgun and says that is the reason he felt confident enough to intervene. Add to that the fact that Gifford's husband tried and failed to buy a rifle last month, which didn't give a lot of credibility for the couple's anti-gun efforts.

vCash
    Two are in critical condition. I hope they survive. A 21 year old suspect is detained.
    I was happy to learn that the two injured people who were in critical condition have been upgraded to "good" -- three others who were injured are also still hospitalized.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Add to that the fact that Gifford's husband tried and failed to buy a rifle last month, which didn't give a lot of credibility for the couple's anti-gun efforts.
    He was trying to buy one to show how easy it was to buy one. The dealer declined selling it to him when he found out the purchase was for political reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    He was trying to buy one to show how easy it was to buy one. The dealer declined selling it to him when he found out the purchase was for political reasons.
    Thanks for explaining the situation in that case. I didn't understand heckles post because both Gabby Giffords and her husband are gun owners and have been clear about that from the beginning. I don't know what "anti-gun" efforts heckles had in mind -- being in favor of stricter "gun control" laws is not the same thing as being "anti-gun."
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I didn't understand heckles post because both Gabby Giffords and her husband are gun owners and have been clear about that from the beginning.
    Oh yes, the video in which hubby's plinking in the backyard, which is a Class One Misdemeanor in Tuscon and most other incorporated municipalities. Such responsible gun ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    He was trying to buy one to show how easy it was to buy one.
    That one's on par with Pee Wee Herman falling off his bike and saying, "I meant to do that."
    Last edited by heckles; 04-10-2013 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    I think in the case of the most recent gun purchase- it was an "assault rifle", which is not the type they own, and is the type they wish to push more regulation on.

It might sound as stupid as Pee Wee Herman, but that is the reason he did it. And it was incredibly easy for him to get the permit to buy it, and the background check took only seconds. The sale only fell through because there is a holding period, and the gun shop owner changed his mind during that period based on statements that Mark made to the media about the sale.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ns-his-intent/
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 04-10-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast