Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

What would the state of US ladies skating if Michele Kwan wasn't born??

WHAT WOULD US LADIES SKATING BE LIKE IF MICHELLE KWAN WAS NEVER BORN???!!!!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    It's impossible to answer this kind of 'what if' question, but instead I'll share a memory I have from Orlando Nationals in 1992. Prior to the internet, it was very hard to get information about certain events or skaters and their progress, if at all. So, all I had to go on was what I had heard and saw watching practices.

I was there to see the championship ladies competition, but what fascinated me, was how some of the junior ladies modeled themselves on past or current champions. Amanda Farkas was a dead ringer for Jill Trenary. Lisa Mattris has Tonya Harding's spunk. Caroline Song was a lot like Yamaguchi and Tanya Street had Nancy Kerrigan's style and dress sense. Each of these skaters along with Lefki Terzakis, Jennifer Verili and Teresa Aiello projected what I thought at the time, a possible glimpse into the future. What surprised me was that a tiny 11 year old who placed eighth with a pair of shaky technical skates, would the very next year trump them all.

The sport has so many variables, you can simply never know how things will turn out.

vCash
    Maybe someone better would have been born... she'd have 3 Olympic Golds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    It's impossible to answer this kind of 'what if' question, but instead I'll share a memory I have from Orlando Nationals in 1992. Prior to the internet, it was very hard to get information about certain events or skaters and their progress, if at all. So, all I had to go on was what I had heard and saw watching practices.

I was there to see the championship ladies competition, but what fascinated me, was how some of the junior ladies modeled themselves on past or current champions. Amanda Farkas was a dead ringer for Jill Trenary. Lisa Mattris has Tonya Harding's spunk. Caroline Song was a lot like Yamaguchi and Tanya Street had Nancy Kerrigan's style and dress sense. Each of these skaters along with Lefki Terzakis, Jennifer Verili and Teresa Aiello projected what I thought at the time, a possible glimpse into the future. What surprised me was that a tiny 11 year old who placed eighth with a pair of shaky technical skates, would the very next year trump them all.

The sport has so many variables, you can simply never know how things will turn out.
    Thanks for those reminisces, essence of soy. From my perspective, I doubt anyone else will be able to say anything as eloquent and as resonant in this beside-the-point, ridiculous and apparently tongue-in-cheek off-season thread.

And thanks, again!

ETA:
    Ah, but Skittl1321, actually came quite laughably close.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 04-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    Cheering for the headcases

vCash
    Lol!

vCash
    I do my best

Fun to see someone mention Tanya Street. She coaches at our rink sometimes, I took a figures lesson from her. I suck at figures.

vCash
    ^^ Hey, but look at it this way: At least you know how to do figures. I doubt that can be said of many top skaters today, aside from Patrick Chan. I think some skaters are starting to incorporate a bit of figures practice into their training schedules ... but more is better!

Oh, and btw, I think what Frank Carroll had to say about actually born and still living legend MK in the latest Skating Lesson Podcast interview (Part 1) is also very eloquent and resonant!

vCash
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE STATE OF THE US ART SCENE WOULD BE IF ANDY WARHOL HAD NEVER BEEN BORN???!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE STATE OF THE US ART SCENE WOULD BE IF ANDY WARHOL HAD NEVER BEEN BORN???!!!
    What would the state of the US be if George Washington had never been born?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    We would be the Soviet States of Amerika!

vCash
    So we'd have better pairs skaters?

vCash
    So we'd have better pairs skaters?
    One would hope!

But did any of the US ladies attempt to mimic Kwan? I never saw it; Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and others all seemed different and diverse to me.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    But did any of the US ladies attempt to mimic Kwan? I never saw it; Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and others all seemed different and diverse to me.
    Oh, but the amount of bare midriff Salome-like dresses and vaguely middle-Eastern posing that showed up at lower levels after 1996 was just and -worthy. For a good 5 years after Kwan did that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post

What would the state of our minds be if figure skating had never been born???

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    ... But did any of the US ladies attempt to mimic Kwan? ...
    Actually, there seemed to be a kind of waiting period at the U.S. senior ladies level until Kimmie Meissner one season appeared in a red Salome get-up with horrendous eye make-up. FSU was full of advice that season for Kimmie to drop the Kwan wannabe act and just find out who she herself was BORN to be.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if she had never been born, harry bailey would have never saved all of those men and mary would work in the library
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I actually think apart from Kwan U.S ladies skating went into decline after the 1992. The quality of skating at the 1993 Nationals speaks to that. For awhile it was Kerrigan or nothing, and thank goodness Kwan was coming up around then as there wasnt much else. The U.S women had nowhere near the depth they used to, and apart from Kwan have rarely had the top end quality they used to either. People talk about the state of U.S women now but actually they are getting back on track, and even if they lack the go to star thus far, they have more depth than they have had in a long while. The greatness of Kwan masked alot of the decline of U.S women, and when she was gone it became much more visible.

From 1994 to today there are only 3 others who emerged who could be considered as top skaters Lipinski, Hughes and Cohen. All 3 IMO benefited a great deal as far as reputation, clout, and motivation by their rivalries with Kwan. I dont think any of the 3 would have been the forces they were without the great reputation U.S women still had with Kwan, and the attention their battles with Kwan brought them. The only exception is possibly Cohen, but in Sasha's case it would mostly be about motivation, and if she came up at a time U.S women were struggling (relatively) and without such a strong leader to chase and battle, would she have even been able to push herself hard enough.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Lordy, it's going to be a long, long summer. Andy Warhol, I don't know you but I think I like you.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Hey, but look at it this way: At least you know how to do figures.
    Seriously. I rather wish I could find someone to teach me (or at bare minimum a good book on them.)

mylittlepony:

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    mylittlepony: I wish I could rep you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast