70. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

58 82.86%
  • no

12 17.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Would the 91 Nationals Harding have won the 1992 Olympics

Given the performances at the 1992 Olympics she would have won with her 1991 Nationals performances for sure. The judges would have had no choice. Who agrees.

vCash
    This is just if she skated her best, not if Kristi and Midori also did, but with how Kristi and Midori (and Nancy, and all others) actually skated at the Games. I know the judges would never give it to her if all skated their best, even if she arguably might have deserved it even then.

vCash
    Was Harding clean in the short at 1991 Nationals?

She would most probably have won the long at 1992 Olympics with her free skate at 1991 Nationals, if Yamaguchi and Ito didn't also skate better than they did.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ Yes, Tonya was clean in the short at 1991 Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwr3zE2qges
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-09-2013 at 07:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ Yes, Tonya was clean in the short at 1991 Nationals but got absurd marks, as low as 5.4, when there were only 2 skaters in the world that could match her content consistently. At Worlds she performed comparably but got 5.7s from international judges despite skating an extremely early 3rd in the skating order. In other words, the international judges believed only Midori and Kristi could skate better with about 30 skaters to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwr3zE2qges

Atleast she wasnt placed behind Kerrigan who did a mere double toe-triple toe combo there, like she had been at the Olympic festival where she skated clean with a triple lutz combo and was placed behind Kerrigan with a double toe-triple toe combo. That seems even worse when at the Goodwill Games around that same time Kerrigan with her double toe-triple toe combo was placed behind Trenary with only a triple toe-double combo (albeit ahead of Yamaguchi who stumbled on her triple lutz combo).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ I amended my comment. The marks were not that bad, especially in comparison to those you mentioned.

vCash
    What were the results for the exact same poll last year ?

vCash
    Yes, no question about it. IMO that performance would have won Every Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Was Harding clean in the short at 1991 Nationals?

She would most probably have won the long at 1992 Olympics with her free skate at 1991 Nationals, if Yamaguchi and Ito didn't also skate better than they did.
    The only one who could have deservedly beat that performance was Ito, and she'd have needed 7 triples, including a triple-triple. Kristi just didn't have the content to match that performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    The only one who could have deservedly beat that performance was Ito, and she'd have needed 7 triples, including a triple-triple. Kristi just didn't have the content to match that performance.
    Content wise, yes . . . but Tonya did skate to Tone Loc's Wild Thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Content wise, yes . . . but Tonya did skate to Tone Loc's Wild Thing
    and she had zero musicality or style.

vCash
    those performances may have won gold overall, but she likely still wouldn't get any first place ordinals from Vanessa Riley (who would have given the gold to Kristi and the silver to Yuka Sato).

vCash
    This is a stupid question to even ask. Harding, Yamaguchi, and Ito were all great skaters and huge contenders for the 1992 Olympic Gold. Of course Harding skating spectacularly like the 91 Nationals, 91 Skate America, even perhaps 94 Nationals would have won over Yamaguchi with 2 major mistakes and Ito with 3 major mistakes (including 1 in the short program). Harding may not have been the judges first choice to win all things equal, more due to her persona than her skating ability, but they would not have disrespected her talent to deny her Olympic Gold in favor of rivals who had such mistakes. A better question is who would have won had all 3 of Ito, Harding, and Yamaguchi skated perfectly. What one can say for sure though is with how the other 2 skated, had any of Yamaguchi, Harding, or Ito skated perfectly they would have won easily. Even Kerrigan with a clean skate might have won given how the other 3 skated, something nobody would have considered pre event. Even Surya Bonaly probably would have won the bronze given how Harding and Kerrigan skated, something nobody would have considered pre event either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    and she had zero musicality or style.
    Actually, Tonya had both, although her programs sometimes made those hard to see. She needed more refinement, but she had a lot of untapped musical and stylistic talent. Even with the rough exterior, I still found her much more interesting to watch than Nancy or Kristi. I wonder what Tonya would have brought to the table if she'd had years in the pro arena?

vCash
    Tonya would have been a great pro skater. It is a shame because of that rotten scumbag she was with we never got to see. Had she won the 92 Olympic Gold she probably would be a millionare today. Admitting to essentialy getting lazy and not training for the 92 Olympics was the worst decision of her life, when she was a serious gold medal contender, and then even more in hindsight with how Kristi and Midori skated at the Games, she really blew her whole life with that decision. Even worse than the whack on the knee decision (if she was actually part of that).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Admitting to essentialy getting lazy and not training for the 92 Olympics was the worst decision of her life, when she was a serious gold medal contender, and then even more in hindsight with how Kristi and Midori skated at the Games, she really blew her whole life with that decision.
    Well, I think she blew her whole life by getting involved with Gillooly, a lot more so than by simply not training for the O's.

Even worse than the whack on the knee decision (if she was actually part of that).
    She could have recovered from the failure to win gold (and did to some degree by winning Nationals again), but she has never reallly recovered from the "whack" incident. I think most folks believe she knew about the plot from the beginning. I guess the bigger question is, "Why would Tonya not have known about the plan?" If her husband and his cronies were smart, they might not have told her beforehand, but we all know they weren't.

For me, here's one of the biggest smoking guns:

In early '94, Tonya admitted contacting journalist Vera Marano in Dec. '93, asking if she could find out where Nancy practiced. But then in an interview with CBS in early '98, the interviewer (bald, can't remember his name) asked Tonya a question. Her response was something like: "How would I even know where Nancy practiced?" So, we're supposed to believe that, four years later, Tonya just "forgot" about contacting Marano?

Assuming Tonya did know about the attack, I wonder if her lying still bothers her, especially since, in that same interview, she said something like, "I'll swear on a whole stack of Bibles that I didn't know!!!!"??

vCash
    Without even taking the whole "whack" scenario into consideration, Tonya Harding would never have been Olympic champion because she was lazy, stubborn, and wouldn't listen to anyone. Sorry, but the likelihood of her pulling off her 91 Nationals performance at the 92 Olympics was pretty remote. She could never stay in fighting shape for long periods (geez, I remember Evy Scotvold's rude comment about looking at her butt and thighs at competitions to see how much trouble Nancy would be in...), she smoked even though she had asthma, she didn't train to keep her skills in championship condition. If there was a rule or expectation, she'd thumb her nose at it. The main reason Tonya would likely never have won Olympic gold was Tonya herself. But she'd always blame someone else, be it her mother, her ex-husband, USFS, ad nauseum (and still does) for her lack of sustained success in the sport. She was her own worst enemy in the sad tradition of Christopher Bowman and later, Nicole Bobek. All 3 of those skaters could have been Olympic and World Champions, but they got in their own way.

I believe is she had skated like 91 Nationals at the 92 Games, and Kristi and Midori had skated their very best, Tonya still would have been placed third, if for no other reason than her lack of consistency vs the other 2 and her own sorry reputation in the skating world. Unfair, perhaps, but I think that is what would have happened.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Since Tonya's smoking was mentioned, I've heard she smoked because, regardless of how unhealthy it is in the long term, she learned from other weight conscious athletes (wrestlers?) that nicotine is an appetite suppressant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Tonya would have been a great pro skater. It is a shame because of that rotten scumbag she was with we never got to see. Had she won the 92 Olympic Gold she probably would be a millionare today.
    Had she won the gold medal she probably would have been a millionaire in the 90s but not today. She likely would have lost it all by now. She is her own worst enemy.

Can't say I agree about her being a great pro skater. She was lazy and her musical choices were often bad. I just imagine her squandering pro opportunities by showing up to competitions out of shape and with half-assed programs.

But wow could she jump. What a waste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    But she'd always blame someone else, be it her mother, her ex-husband...
    Well, she had good reason to blame those two, especially her mother, who was married five times! Both were physically and mentally abusive toward her. And if USFS pressured her to get back with Gillooly, then they deserve some blame as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast