• Ito

21 9.13%
  • Bauil or Kerrigan or Gusmeroli

6 2.61%
  • Chen

6 2.61%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I had to vote for Yamaguchi since she was a favourite of mine in that decade. While i understand why people really loved Kwan, she just didn't do it for me. Sorry, Kwan fans.

vCash
    Though not the most accomplished skater of the 1990's, I don't think anyone compares to Chen Lu. Definitely the best skater of the 1990's in my book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Regarding 1996-on, Yamaguchi would have fell or doubled on a Salchow. How many consistent 7 triple routines could she have done? One can say she probably would have won all those titles (1993 Worlds-1995 Worlds), but we really don't know if she would have. She could have lost. We're just assuming she would have won because we think she would have been perfect or clean every time (although for 1993 Worlds-1994 Worlds, she may not have needed to be clean).
    No I am not assuming she would have skated perfectly each time. She didnt have to skate perfectly to have won any of the 93 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds, 95 Worlds.

1993 Worlds- Newcomer Oksana wins with 5 triples, no combo. Kristi would only need land 5 triples to be sure to win.
    1994 Olympics- Oksana wins with 3 clean triples. Nancy who never beat Kristi their whole careers is .1 from winning gold.
    1994 Worlds- Sato won with lovely performance with 6 triples, yet still only won by .1 over a sloppy Bonaly who only made 5 triples, had 2 major mistakes, and a had a flat and overall mediocre performance. Kristi based on name value alone would have pretty much only had to show up to win this one.
    1995 Worlds- Chen wins with 5 triples, only 1 triple lutz. Regardless if you think she deserved it or not Kristi also would have gotten as high or higher of presentation marks, Chen was never a judges favorite as proven with many of the events people thought she was robbed of winning or a higher medal in- 1992 Worlds, 1996 Worlds, 1994 Olympics, even 1993 Worlds. Again easy win for Kristi, and she doesnt have to be perfect.

1996 is the first year she would have needed to start skating perfectly with 7 triples.

I base her winning all those years on the fact her pro performances each year were better than the winning World and Olympic performance. Watch the 92 World Pros, 93 Challenge of Champions, 94 Gold Championships, 94 World Pro Championships and compare it to the winning World and Olympic performances from 93-95 and you will get why it should be just assumed she would have won all those events.

As for comparing Yamaguchi's rivalry with Ito and Harding and Kwan's rivalry with Tara, Yamaguchi may not have beaten Ito or Harding if they had Tara's or Michelle's consistency.
    Who knows. Harding has skated well many times and still lost to Kristi- 89 Nationals and that was when Kristi was just a little jumping beans and not the total package she was later, 91 Worlds short program, 91 Nationals short program. Ito's Olympic LP even with the fall was still great, with a huge triple axel late in the program and some beautiful combination jumps, and she still lost the LP handily to subpar Krist.

IMO, Michelle Kwan's 1998 Olympic performance blows Yamaguchi's 1992 Olympic performances away, as did her 1996 Worlds one, and even her 1997 Worlds LP.
    You may feel that way but the judges may not agree. Kristi's Albertville LP got the same marks as Michelle's Nagano LP- five 5.7s and four 5.8s for technical, and straight 5.9s on the 2nd mark, despite that both were skating first in the final flight, and there was a stronger group of girls to come after Kristi than after Michelle where it was just Tara and the 7 dwarfes. Remember Kristi did a triple lutz-triple toe, a super difficult combination and much harder than anything Michelle did in Nagano. That makes up for just 1 or 2 small mistakes easily.

I totally disagree especialy on Kwan's 1997 Worlds LP being superior. A program with a doubled 2nd triple lutz which Kristi did a beautiful one easily very late, and a shaky and wobbly triple toe-triple toe vs Kristi's beautiful and easily done triple lutz-triple toe, and artistically a program that just a ripoff of Salome. I would take Kristi's Albertville performance easily.

You also talk like Kristi's 92 Olympic winning LP was her best performance ever, comparing it to Michelle's best. That is makes no sense, since, Kristi has had dozens of skates better than her Albertville LP. It was one of her worst performances ever after the figures era and her pairs career ended. You might as well compare it to Michelle's worst at the 97 Nationals, ok that might be extreme, but no more than trying to compare it to Michelle's best ever performances when it was far from Kristi's best. Anyway what relevance are 2000 performances, the thread is about best skater of the 90s decade, so anything Michelle did in the 2000s is meaningless.

Kristi did what she had to do in order to win that day. Remember she had the gold medal locked up before the LP even began due to what transpired in the short. Her two main rivlas Ito and Harding fell in the short, and were 4th and 6th, and Kerrigan and Bonaly who were no threat to her at that point were the ones in 2nd and 3rd. The event was over, and Kristi knew it even though she would never admit it, she probably threw a party to celebrate her gold medal before the LP even began, LOL, so of course she didnt have intensity to skate her best. I think had Tonya and Midori been 2nd and 3rd after the short you would have seen a much different performance.

Plus, since we're using pro competitions, Kwan did beat Yamaguchi the one time they competed against each other in the Ultimate 4.
    That was not a pro competition, it was a pro-am competition, and it was far more amateur than professional. It was judged under ISU rules in front of ISU judges. The judges were no doubt favoring the amateur skaters, and the rules heavily favored the reigning World Champion over a skater who had been out of amateur competition for 5 years. Despite that in the SP when both skated perfectly Kristi won. Nobody in the World could beat a clean Michelle in the SP at that point, except for Kristi. Kristi even did it was just a simple triple toe as her solo jump, like Michelle, vs the top amateurs who had to try triple flips and even then still couldnt come close. Michelle won since Kristi had an uncharactersistic bad LP with several falls, including falling on her opening double axel.

vCash
    no one cares about the world pros.
    and your "what ifs" about kristi staying in to compete in future worlds are so pointless and hilarious. the fact is she didn't. how is that any different from a michelle fan saying "what if michelle didn't fall in salt lake", or "what if she didn't have a shaky landing at 97 worlds sp"

vCash
    The point is that from 91-95 Kristi was clearly the best in the World, by a long margin. She was skating at a higher level than any pro or amateur skater all those years. That is already about half of the decade, and should firmly cement her best of the decade. Kwan was arguably best in 96, 98, and 99 at most, and even in 98 and 99 she lost the years biggest event, and in 96 she had an unconvincing and controversial win in the years biggest event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    The point is that from 91-95 Kristi was clearly the best in the World, by a long margin. She was skating at a higher level than any pro or amateur skater all those years. That is already about half of the decade, and should firmly cement her best of the decade. Kwan was arguably best in 96, 98, and 99 at most, and even in 98 and 99 she lost the years biggest event, and in 96 she had an unconvincing and controversial win in the years biggest event.
    sure, based on nothing but wild speculations

vCash
    I have to add something: when comparing US skaters to each other, national titles come into play

Michelle won 9 National golds vs Kristi's 3
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    and in 96 she had an unconvincing and controversial win in the years biggest event.
    No it wasn't. People disagree about who should have won, but I wouldn't call it unconvincing or controversial because Kwan had enough content to back up a win. A disagreement with a result does not always amount to an undeserving win. Many who think Chen should have won the LP in 1996 usually give Kwan credit for putting up a strong fight.

As for your comparison of scores between Albertville and Nagano, you can't compare 6.0 scores from 1992 and 1998. The level of skating was different nobody knows what would have happened if someone of Kwan and Lipinski's level and consistency skated against her.

All of your arguments are wildly speculative. You're arguments regarding 1993 and 1994 Worlds and Olympics are strong enough that I think I may agree with that, but again, Kristi could have fallen all over the place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I have to add something: when comparing US skaters to each other, national titles come into play

I wonder if there's ever been a thread in which real competitiveness in multiple disciplines was considered as a factor in ranking "greats" of all time or a particular era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post

My poll was just about the 90s only and only about singles so 3 National golds for Michelle to 1 for Kristi.

vCash
    I am surprised Ito has such a tiny number of votes. I thought she was revered by skating fans and she is the best jumper in skating history, and jumping is the most important part of skating like it or not, and she also was a very good all around skater too. Then again maybe most are thinking she is more of an 80s skater.
    Last edited by KimGOAT; 04-20-2013 at 02:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    I had to vote for Yamaguchi since she was a favourite of mine in that decade. While i understand why people really loved Kwan, she just didn't do it for me. Sorry, Kwan fans.
    It was Yamaguchi that got me into watching figure skating regularly (along with her rivalry with Ito), but it was Michelle Kwan who made me a die-hard fan.

Michelle had amazing programs in the 95-96 season, and again in 97-98. She is a late-90's - early 2000's skater, but I think she did enough to be considered the best 90's female skater.

Midori Ito was a late 80's - early 90's skater. My vote would go for her in that era.

And yes, Michelle did beat Kristi in a head-to-head with her Pocahontas program.

vCash
    I agree Yamaguchi could have contended for gold at every competition from 93-95, but around 95 its gets a little dicey. Chens win was very close that year over Bonaly (doubling her second lutz saved her combo in the SP) so Kristi definitely could have pulled off the win, but some of her performances that year weren't up to her usual either. At world pros she handily lost to Sato, and at the Ultimate 4 that year she bombed her SP uncharacteristically so its not 100 percent certain she would win. In 96 I don't think anyone was touching Kwan or Chen with the level of performances they gave in both the SP and LP wheter they were clean or not.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    It was Yamaguchi that got me into watching figure skating regularly (along with her rivalry with Ito), but it was Michelle Kwan who made me a die-hard fan.

Michelle had amazing programs in the 95-96 season, and again in 97-98. She is a late-90's - early 2000's skater, but I think she did enough to be considered the best 90's female skater.

Midori Ito was a late 80's - early 90's skater. My vote would go for her in that era.

And yes, Michelle did beat Kristi in a head-to-head with her Pocahontas program.
    Yes, it was during the Ultimate Four Challenge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLdsAh7_cc

I wish we could have voted for more than one skater because it's really hard for me to choose a favorite. I voted for Kristi, and yes, I also like Michelle.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I guess if you go by achievements in the 90s alone it would be clearly Kristi but she was so boring and showed poor sportsmanship sometimes which is why I voted for Michelle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12