View Poll Results: Best lady skater of the 90s

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamaguchi

    94 40.87%
  • Lipinski

    5 2.17%
  • Kwan

    98 42.61%
  • Ito

    21 9.13%
  • Bauil or Kerrigan or Gusmeroli

    6 2.61%
  • Chen

    6 2.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Best female skater of the 90s

    Who is the best lady skater of the 90s, my favorite ever decade of skating. I went with Yamaguchi since 1 Olympic Gold, 2 World golds, and 4 World Pros is better than 2 World Golds, 1 Olympic silver or 1 World Gold, 1 Olympic Gold, or 1 Olympic Silver, 1 World Pro, and the rest. I think she is far above the others.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,134
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    0
    ... Why are Oksana, Nancy, and Vanessa all grouped as one choice?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    ... Why are Oksana, Nancy, and Vanessa all grouped as one choice?
    It was the poll option for the mutually crazy people. I didnt want them to feel left out.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would have voted for Ito since I think she is the best skater on the list thinking of whole career but Ito is a skater of the 80s, not the 90s.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Either Ito or Kwan. Yamaguchi was solid, excellent, nice, and perfectly forgettable (atleast for me). Well as a pro she was more memorable, as an amateur she was by the book and collected points and won, often when the big jumpers fell apart. A female Lysacek.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,540
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6831
    Ito or Kwan. If Bauil or Kerrigan or Gusmeroli got to share a slot, Harding should have been an option.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Either Ito or Kwan. Yamaguchi was solid, excellent, nice, and perfectly forgettable (atleast for me). Well as a pro she was more memorable, as an amateur she was by the book and collected points and won, often when the big jumpers fell apart. A female Lysacek.
    Kristi had technical difficulties few ladies could do. So, she was technically one of the very best, and artistically better than the better jumpers. That's why she won. Not because she was a female Lysacek.

    I can't vote. I'd say Kwan or Ito or Yamaguchi.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Kristi had technical difficulties few ladies could do. So, she was technically one of the very best, and artistically better than the better jumpers. That's why she won. Not because she was a female Lysacek.

    I can't vote. I'd say Kwan or Ito or Yamaguchi.
    OK she is alot better than Lysacek, she just didnt do anything for me as an amateur. She was by the book, pleasant, excellent, but not every exciting or inspiring for me. Mind you if you go by accomplishments and nothing else she is by far the best on this list (talking just the 90s decade).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,335
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2447
    I voted Kwan, but I could see going for Ito too.

    Kristi has the OGM that eluded but Kwan and Ito. But much as I liked her as a person, Kristi never did much for me as an amateur . I think it was the tiny spinny jumps and overall small skating that bothered me. I do like her better than Tara, the other tiny spinny jumper OGM.

    Why is Gusmeroli on this poll? I like her fine, but her accomplishments are dwarfed by the others. I'd be insulted if I were Bauil and Kerrigan sharing a poll option with her. Bauil will probably sue FSU, and Kerrigan probably thinks it's more corny than Mickey Mouse.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kwan,no doubt. But my favorite was Lu Chen.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    53
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kristi clearly. I dont know how anyone could vote otherwise. Kristi was hands down the best skater in the World from 91-95, and that is already most of the decade.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    Are we taking into account the pro career as well as eligible one?

  13. #13
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17286
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Kristi clearly. I dont know how anyone could vote otherwise. Kristi was hands down the best skater in the World from 91-95, and that is already most of the decade.
    Didn't Ito and Yuka Sato beat her at two World Pros during that period?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    53
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Didn't Ito and Yuka Sato beat her at two World Pros during that period?
    Ito beat her at the Worlds Pros in December 95. So not part of the 95 season. That is why I said 95-96, since by 96 season there were some skating better than her maybe, Sato in pros, and Kwan in amateurs. However from 91-95 she was always by far the best skater. Ito did beat at the World Pros in December 93, but Kristi came back to crush her at the Challenge of Champions event where Ito was only 3rd behind a really old Denise Biellmann, and Kristi won all her other events that year so she was still the best.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I said Kwan, even though it was really the late 90s/early 00s that she was dominant.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Ito beat her at the Worlds Pros in December 95. So not part of the 95 season. That is why I said 95-96, since by 96 season there were some skating better than her maybe, Sato in pros, and Kwan in amateurs. However from 91-95 she was always by far the best skater. Ito did beat at the World Pros in December 93, but Kristi came back to crush her at the Challenge of Champions event where Ito was only 3rd behind a really old Denise Biellmann, and Kristi won all her other events that year so she was still the best.
    Midori Ito won 1993 World Pro with her gorgeous Rose of Pain program, 3Axel included.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dg3jlLS9W4

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    735
    Michelle Kwan is not my favourite and I'm no Kawaniac whatsoever, but my vote went hands down to her without even having to think twice.
    It's just the consistent good skating over years, the big wins (except OG) and the overall skating package where she had no real weaknesses other girls on this poll had.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kristi since she dominated when the sport had the 2 best jumpers ever Ito and and Harding at their peaks. Kwan meanwhile lost 4 of 5 meetings with Tara Lipinski in her brief prime, and Tara was just a jumper like Harding and not as good of one as Ito or Harding.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    90
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kristi won 6 World titles (2 amateur, 4 pro) and the Olympics. Had she continued competing she would have won atleast 7 straight Worlds and Olympics- 91 Worlds, 92 Olympics, 92 Worlds, 93 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds, 95 Worlds. She would have even been contending for gold with Kwan and Chen in 96, and Lipsinki and Kwan in 97 and 98. I cant believe anyone would think it isnt her.

  20. #20
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17286
    Regarding 1996-on, Yamaguchi would have fell or doubled on a Salchow. How many consistent 7 triple routines could she have done? One can say she probably would have won all those titles (1993 Worlds-1995 Worlds), but we really don't know if she would have. She could have lost. We're just assuming she would have won because we think she would have been perfect or clean every time (although for 1993 Worlds-1994 Worlds, she may not have needed to be clean).

    As for comparing Yamaguchi's rivalry with Ito and Harding and Kwan's rivalry with Tara, Yamaguchi may not have beaten Ito or Harding if they had Tara's or Michelle's consistency. IMO, Michelle Kwan's 1998 Olympic performance blows Yamaguchi's 1992 Olympic performances away, as did her 1996 Worlds one, and even her 1997 Worlds LP. It's not as if Kwan could have gotten away with doubling the Salchow and falling out of her loop in Nagano the way Yamaguchi was able to in Albertville. Plus, since we're using pro competitions, Kwan did beat Yamaguchi the one time they competed against each other in the Ultimate 4.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •