12 6.94%
  • Urmanov

12 6.94%
  • Kulik

32 18.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Best mens skater of the 90s

The 90s are my favorite time of skating. Who was the best mens skater of that decade. I think it is between Stojko, Browning, and Petrenko. I think Petrenko though since an Olympic Gold and World Gold is better than 3 World titles and 2 Olympic Silver and 4 Worlds Titles and 3 World Pro titles.

vCash
    Has to be Stojko! Undisputably the guy to beat from the 94-98 period. What he did wasnt pretty, but events were always his to lose. He landed all his big jumps, and he won, even without the quad he was unbeatable skating cleanly for the others.

vCash
    Neither Browning or Petrenko competed after the Olympics in 94, so I would think the 80s is more there era. I somewhat agree with judgejudy that is is Stojko. Kulik didn't have his longevity and Yagudin/Plushenko were more of the 2009s than the 90s.

I think Urmanov was a better skater than Stojko - he is one of my all-time faves - but he didn't have the same competitive verve. And unfortunately was hampered by injury in 97 and had to withdraw from that Worlds after the SP. And was leading after the SP, so that Worlds was his to lose.

vCash
    Agree on Urmanov. He was a wonderful skater, jumper, and stylist, but too inconsistent. His spins and footwork werent great as well though.

vCash
    I loved Kulik! But Browning is/was amazing, and he deserved an Oly gold. I voted to Kurt.

vCash
    How could anyone pick Eldredge.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    90's? In that order ... Browning, Kulik, Petrenko and ... Yagudin!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Neither Browning or Petrenko competed after the Olympics in 94, so I would think the 80s is more there era.
    Disagree. Browning won three of his four world titles in the 90s. How could the 80s be his era?

vCash
    Browning not only won 3 world titles in this decade, but followed it up in the pro ranks where he came up with some fantastic programs. Remember back in the 90s there WAS a respectable pro scene with actual competitions, in addition to the hundreds of shows.

vCash
    Eldredge was the best skater. He was robbed by judges all the time. He should have won the 1995 Worlds, 1996 Worlds, 1997 Worlds, 1997 GPF, 1998 GPF, and only won one of those. He should have been like Stojko and whine and cry about judges marks when in reality Stojko was way overscored but fooled people into thinking he was way underscored, but Eldredge was too nice to do that, and thus was ignored by judges.

vCash
    I voted Kulik because he remains one of my two favorite male skaters of all time (tied with Robin Cousins). Like Browning, Ilia had exceptional ability to feel and express music, but he had 6 strong triples while Browning only had four. Kurt's World titles mostly came during the brief time where men were allowed to do 3A for both the combo and solo jump out of fw in the SP (3A-2T, 3A, 2A). Once the rule changed to require the triples to be different, his weakness in that area really showed and it cost him in both 92 and 94 Olympics. So, first quad, incredible dancing feet, and once-lovely 3A notwithstanding, I think Kulik (with even bigger and more lovely 3A) was the better all-around skater. In addition to superior speed and airy jumps, he had a musicality that made judges fall in love with him at first sight. (I mean, how many guys have won junior worlds and Europeans in the same year?)

I might even go so far as to say Petrenko was also a more complete skater than Kurt. All his jumps were fundamentally sound, and the 3A, 3Lutz and 3Toe especially were totally secure. He also had real range, in that he could sell the elegant classical style as well as the fun, silly stuff. Plus, I just loved his carriage, esp his jump landings. All three of these guys were such great interpreters of music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    How could anyone pick Eldredge.
    When will the Todd bashing stop? I wish Todd (& Kurt!) had an Olympic medal, but they have had wonderful skating careers otherwise. Re Todd's eligible career: 6 World medals (the last one in 202 should have been silver), 6 US titles, 5 Skate America titles, etc. - not too shabby

Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Eldredge was the best skater. He was robbed by judges all the time. He should have won the 1995 Worlds, 1996 Worlds, 1997 Worlds, 1997 GPF, 1998 GPF, and only won one of those. He should have been like Stojko and whine and cry about judges marks when in reality Stojko was way overscored but fooled people into thinking he was way underscored, but Eldredge was too nice to do that, and thus was ignored by judges.
    I always rooted for Todd & Elvis when they competed. I think Todd was underrated because of the judges' obsession with the quad.

I think this poll (and the similar ones for the other disciplines) should be divided into two separate categories - one for skaters who were Olympic eligible for most of the decade, and those who were pro.

vCash
    Didn't Petrenko skate the same program over and over and over again?

vCash
    If Eldredge had skated under COP he & Stojko would have traded their silver & gold medals. Todd was the better all around skater, much faster, too. All he lacked was the quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    If Eldredge had skated under COP he & Stojko would have traded their silver & gold medals. Todd was the better all around skater, much faster, too. All he lacked was the quad.
    He also lacked exciting choreography. I have the feeling he skated to the same movie soundtracks for his whole career.

vCash
    Why isn't Yagudin in this poll - he won 2 world titles, & 2 european titles in the 90's - isn't that enough to be included? He competed as senior for about the same number of seasons in the 90's and the 00's...
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    I voted for Stojko, objectively speaking, since he won three world titles, silver at two different Olympics (skating very injured at one, of course) and landed the first quad-triple during that decade.. and quad-double too if I remember right. However, I like Browning better than him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    He also lacked exciting choreography. I have the feeling he skated to the same movie soundtracks for his whole career.
    Well, that's your opinion & to each his own. Yes, he did skate to quite a number of movie soundtracks (personally I have no problem with that & he's certainly not the only skater to do that), but he also did some classical & Broadway musical programs. Just for the record, have you ever seen him skate in person?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Well, that's your opinion & to each his own. Yes, he did skate to quite a number of movie soundtracks (personally I have no problem with that & he's certainly not the only skater to do that), but he also did some classical & Broadway musical programs. Just for the record, have you ever seen him skate in person?
    No, never seen him live.
    As I said, I found him boring compared to Stojko, Candeloro, Zagorodniuk, Kulik... But I have learnt to appreciate his gorgeous basic skating with time. Too late, he had already retired.

vCash
    No Yags? Not even an "0ther" option? Come on, Kurt would've won this anyway!
    And then, Eldredge, with only one (stolen) World title?
    I've voted for Ilia!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast