Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Adagio for Strings. possibly my favorite SP of all time.
    Yes that's the one, thank you! Loved it.

Garden Kitty, ITA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I stumbled across this recent (Feb. 2013) interview with Tom Dickson - lots of interesting stuff!
    http://everythingfigureskating.com/m...h-tom-dickson/
    Thank you for posting this interview. I enjoyed reading it immensely.
    I agree with what he says in so many aspects, we definitely share the same point of view on how figure skating should develop.

I am embarrassed to admit that I almost don't know his works. He mentions there a few and I will check them. Are there any other programs, apart those mentioned in the interview or in this thread, some of you would recommend me to check? I'd appreciate the links too (though I'm not banned in YouTube ). I think, maybe this way some more readers will watch them too.

vCash
    Firstly...
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    If you're not familiar with Alexander Johnson, here is Alexander's ["Eleanor Rigby"] FS at 2013 US Nationals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE
    Ryan Jahnke's 2004 Nationals "Brazilian" FS (is there a better performance of this program from that season than this one?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbzfIXTm0Mw

ETA to reut: I misread your "apart those mentioned in the interview"... will try and find links to other memorable (for me) Dickson programs later.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    He's done some ice dance choreography too, but it's really hard to find videos...

Jane Summersett/Todd Gilles - Waltz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l0L8fHtoZk (they were skating this better by the end of the season)

He also did several programs for Trina Pratt & Todd Gilles

vCash
    I feel very tempted to just pop in here to say that Tom Dickson is awesome but I do have a question, has he ever worked with harder sounding music, perhaps something with electric guitars? Maybe some darker themed routine? There's always a pleasant softness to his programs, I guess I'm looking for something a little more explosive because i think he'd be able to still make it tasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    He's done some ice dance choreography too, but it's really hard to find videos...
    I'd actually like to see that!

vCash
    I know the Shibs have gotten some programs from Tom Dickson, too, while they were in CO 2005-2007. Also did Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles' programs (I *think* he did both of them) the one season they skated together (2011-2012).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I feel very tempted to just pop in here to say that Tom Dickson is awesome but I do have a question, has he ever worked with harder sounding music, perhaps something with electric guitars? Maybe some darker themed routine?
    His style isn't angsty, but I'm not sure how to get more genuinely darker than "Adagio for Strings," especially with its association in the US with the deaths of FDR and JFK.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I feel very tempted to just pop in here to say that Tom Dickson is awesome but I do have a question, has he ever worked with harder sounding music, perhaps something with electric guitars? Maybe some darker themed routine? There's always a pleasant softness to his programs, I guess I'm looking for something a little more explosive because i think he'd be able to still make it tasteful.
    The free dance for Summersett/Gilles (posted by Impromptu above) used music from Ravel's La Valse. It's the darkest music I've heard in ice dance. You can look the music up on wikipedia about its meaning. He also choreographed a free dance for Piper Gilles/Zach Donohue using several Hitchcock movie soundtracks, including Vertigo, by Bernard Hermann. That's pretty dark, too. He did a free skate for Drew Meekins and partner (don't remember her name) using the soundtrack of On the River Front, which is heavy and dramatic. I also remember a Tango short program for Agnes Zawadzki in 2009-2010 (I think) that is as non-girly as anything and somewhat "dark."

But it's nearly impossible to find the videos of these programs. If you have subscription to Ice Network you can dig them out of US Nationals in the previous years.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 04-15-2013 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    I really liked Summersett/Gilles "La Valse" Fd. The only 2 versions I've seen are the one linked above and on IN 2008 Nationals. He also choreographed their 2009 FD to La Strada.

vCash
    New interview! http://skateguard1.blogspot.com.au/2...m-dickson.html
    Excerpt:
    A: I would have to say that Matt Savoie has to be the most naturally gifted skater I have worked with. His sense of personal expression, aesthetic form and artistry took time to bloom but he was so incredibly gifted physically. He landed the first triple axel he ever tried! He had knees that could do amazing things...like jump! Matt could use his knees like a grasshopper! Matt was also very limber and this enabled him to do many things physically that most men in skating simply cannot. He was and is innately intelligent and intellectual and these traits really helped him flourish in the latter years of his career, as he developed artistically.
    Q: What is one thing about you most people don't know?

A: Sometimes I discover that some people aren't sure whether I am a skater or a dancer. Although this could be complimentary, I also find it frustrating that many newcomers to the sport cant tell by watching a choreographer skate whether they were first a dancer or skater. To the educated eye it should be easy to see a quality of skating that is unmistakable. I was trained primarily as a skater. However, I have been priviledged to work with many great people so that the dance training and the skating are one in the same. I love to tell my clients to dance like a skater and skate like a dancer! Great skating cant sacrifice one for the other... They must become inseparable! Another thing people may not know about me is that I am a classically trained musician and have studied the Oboe since I was 11. Music education has played a huge part in my teaching style as well as greatly influencing my sense of musicality as a choreographer. To know how to decipher and conceptualize an otherwise abstract art form like music through the visual imagery of musical notation is a form of literacy I cant imagine working without.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wonderful. Tom is one of the most fascinating individuals in the skating world and a rock star of a choreographer. He was no doubt a favorite of Carlo Fassi's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thank you for sharing that, Sylvia. Excellent interview. Matt Savoie, naturally!!! Wish he'd been able to overcome his nerves and shyness more, but still.

Love this quote.
    I would love to see skaters train so that they can perform a piece without a triple jump in it and make it compelling. There are only a handful of skaters in the World that can do this and that should not be the case!
    Some of his comments on music remind me of Manleywoman's interview with Ricky Harris. Harris talked about how she would make her skaters listen to the music and then come up with a story--before they even got on the ice to start choreographing a program. LISTENING is totally what it's all about.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Tom's definitely one of the most if not the most fascinating and insightful skating choreographer there is!

vCash
    Love this quote:
    I would love to see skaters train so that they can perform a piece without a triple jump in it and make it compelling.
    There are only a handful of skaters in the World that can do this and that should not be the case!
    As do I!
    I've been a member of the "Tom Dickson Appreciation Society" for many years.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think there are way more than a handful of skaters who can perform a piece without a triple jump -- or any jump, for that matter -- and make it compelling. A number of them aren't televised and don't make it up the ranks precisely because they struggle with triples. I think there are more among the Men now than the Ladies, but I would happily watch triple-less or jump-less programs by Chan, both Tens, Takahashi, Kozuka, Machida, Yan, Abbott, Brown, Ge, Pfeifer, Gachinski, Firus, Gosselin, Verner, Paul Poirier (who skated Junior singles), and one of the young Canadian men I saw at BC Summerskate whose name I don't remember, and I've seen exhibition programs by Plushenko, some of which don't emphasize jumps at all, that blow away anything I've ever seen him do in competition.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think there are way more than a handful of skaters who can perform a piece without a triple jump -- or any jump, for that matter -- and make it compelling. A number of them aren't televised and don't make it up the ranks precisely because they struggle with triples.
    Exactly. The ability to skate complex, musical, artistically interesting programs, and the ability to execute triple jumps are not highly correlated.

Of course, some excellent skaters such as those you named above are able to do both, which only helps them when competing against those who can only do one or the other.

There is room in elite sport for skaters who excel at jumping and are just adequate at best at all the other stuff.

I wish there were a place to reward skaters who have it in them to excel at everything else but can't do the jumps. As is, singles skaters are likely to quit by novice or junior level when they can't keep up jumpwise, and fail to maximize their skating and performing potential even if that potential is significant.

Ice dancers can reach elite levels with everything else except jumps, but only if they can find an appropriate partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think there are way more than a handful of skaters who can perform a piece without a triple jump -- or any jump, for that matter -- and make it compelling. A number of them aren't televised and don't make it up the ranks precisely because they struggle with triples. I think there are more among the Men now than the Ladies, but I would happily watch triple-less or jump-less programs by Chan, both Tens, Takahashi, Kozuka, Machida, Yan, Abbott, Brown, Ge, Pfeifer, Gachinski, Firus, Gosselin, Verner, Paul Poirier (who skated Junior singles), and one of the young Canadian men I saw at BC Summerskate whose name I don't remember, and I've seen exhibition programs by Plushenko, some of which don't emphasize jumps at all, that blow away anything I've ever seen him do in competition.
    Interesting. If jumps were taken out, I wouldn't bother to watch most of the skaters on you list. If we're talking about compelling performance, nearly every skater on that list (save a couple) would be crossed off by me. To each her own I guess.

The fundamental problem is that performance can't be judged fairly and reliably. If figure skating hasn't solved the proble in 50 years, it's not going to happen in the next 10, baby!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

There is room in elite sport for skaters who excel at jumping and are just adequate at best at all the other stuff.

I wish there were a place to reward skaters who have it in them to excel at everything else but can't do the jumps. As is, singles skaters are likely to quit by novice or junior level when they can't keep up jumpwise, and fail to maximize their skating and performing potential even if that potential is significant.
    I wish there were a place where the PCS scores for the skaters who are just adequate at all of the other stuff and great at jumps aren't rewarded as if what they do is acceptable as average, and that the scores for the skaters who are great at both reflected the steep difficulty curve in getting there. It's not linear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Exactly. The ability to skate complex, musical, artistically interesting programs, and the ability to execute triple jumps are not highly correlated.

Of course, some excellent skaters such as those you named above are able to do both, which only helps them when competing against those who can only do one or the other.

Ice dancers can reach elite levels with everything else except jumps, but only if they can find an appropriate partner.
    I agree. Wish there are 'competitions for such skaters'. Isnt' the professional skating much like this? There are some gorgeous skaters who are very 'artistic' but who will never make it to the elite team because they lack the hard jumps.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12