vCash

ISU loses another sponsor

From 4.8.2013 New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...=tw-share&_r=0

"The International Skating Union also must begin looking for a major sponsor. The Dutch energy supplier Essent said it will end its longstanding backing of speedskating after the 2014 Sochi Winter Games. "

"To be honest, it is not easy," ISU President Ottavio Cinquanta told The Associated Press. "The international market is not in the very best condition. One has to admit, there is some problem. We will have to pay attention to what to do."

"The ISU was fortunate in that Essent gave it a full year's warning that it was ending a 16-year relationship.

"Of course, we were not on the market (before) looking for another sponsor," Cinquanta said. "

So, when will Cinquanta be looking for new sponsors?

vCash
    I started a thread not long ago about ISU's sponsorship deal with Canon, Inc.: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...hotos-amp-more
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That's actually quite a significant loss in sponsorship, considering the Netherlands has high profile long track speed-skating stars such as Ireen Wust and Sven Kramer. Furthermore, the Netherlands are making progress in short track speed skating as well.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Sven Kramer ... a jerk supported by figure skating money ... to stupid to say his own name or stay in his own lane when competing in the Olympics.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Sven Kramer ... a jerk supported by figure skating money ... to stupid to say his own name or stay in his own lane when competing in the Olympics.
    Do you even follow speed skating? He (Sven Kramer) is definitely not supported by figure skating money! If there is any speed skater in the world who doens't need that money, it's him!

About Essent, they have been a sponser for over 15 years. Like they said: "As sponsor, we reached the ceiling of our possibilities."
    They are thinking about creating a new speedskaters team in 2014 so perhaps they stay in the sport.

Maybe in the end it's a good thing, a new sponser may reflect new ideas and which could follow in a big interest. Maybe this is what skating in general needs?

vCash
    Sven was disqualifed for that and in speedskating in case you didn't know they do alternate between the lanes, so confusion with the lanes is always possible especially in a long distance event. As for figure skating paying for him, i am not sure where you are getting the idea since as you can see a dutch company was sponsoring ISU speed skating as well.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    need to work on your facts.. there is a myth out there that some how figure skating supports speed skating.. not true.. they have their own sponsers and TV contracts and much lower over heads than figure skating..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Yeah ... I was a bit over the top, but there are at least 4 incidents from the last Olympics that just make me furious. There was one point in time when he did receive far more than he was generating.

vCash
    Maybe Stephen Colbert can step up and help the ISU out the way he did the American team.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Maybe Stephen Colbert can step up and help the ISU out the way he did the American team.
    If nothing else, he needs to do some hard-hitting reports on the sport like this one again.

vCash
    I went to look at the link in the above post and it says:

Sorry but this video is unavailable in your location
    But hey, at least you have kangaroos and boomerangs
    I almost forgive them for locking me out of their clips.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    May be it's time to hold the sponsor a little tighter, then.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Skaters in long distance races depend on their coaches to signal them on lane changes, and his coach was the one who signaled him to the wrong lane.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I almost forgive them for locking me out of their clips.
    If any Canadians care, here's what we get:

Sorry but this video is unavailable in your location. In case you can't give up your free healthcare and move to America, you can watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at thecomedynetwork.ca.
    And too bad about the loss of a sponsor. I only follow speed skating at the Olympics, so I'm not helping.