Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash

Annette Funicello has died (threads merged)

3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Multiple sclerosis is a horrible disease. Her beach movies with Frankie Avalon came out before my time but I remember watching them with my mom when I was a kid.

vCash
    RIP, Annette. Another icon of my long-ago childhood is gone.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Bless her heart. What a wonderful lady she was. I have Back to the Beach on DVD, so I'm going to watch it today and think of her.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash

Annette Funicello, Mouseketeer and film star, dies

Annette Funicello, Mouseketeer and film star, dies
    By FRAZIER MOORE - AP— Apr. 8 1:26 PM EDT

ADMIN EDIT - please do not repost entire articles. Instead, provide a link and you may provide a few brief quotes. See Rule #13
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/anno....php?f=14&a=37

vCash
    She was a vibrant, talented teenager; who became a beautiful, and courageous woman.
    What an example she was to anyone who faces a debilitating and disabling disease.
    Thank you, Annette.

RIP
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    Could an Admin. combine the threads?

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    I remember watching her on the MMC in 1955 when I was 9. Another piece of my childhood gone..
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    Me too, FGRSK8. Long before Marcia Brady, all the boys I knew had a serious crush on Annette but girls liked her too & wanted to be like her. I sent away to the Disney Studio & got a membership to the Mickey Mouse club because of her & I never missed an episode. My ears are long gone but I still have my membership card (somewhere).

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Even though I'd watched re-runs of MMC as a little kid, I had no idea the "Annette" on the show was Annette Funicello. My first real recollection of who she was occurred when I saw Grease in the movie theatre with my Mom, and one of the lines in it was "No one has jugs like Annette." I had to ask my Mom who they were talking about .

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    So many of us growing up in the US in the 50s/60s knew Annette from TV, then the movies, then the Skippy peanut butter ads. She was never less than classy, warm and sweet. She did much good for awareness about MS.

Condolences to her family. RIP brave lady.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Pretty sure this was the first Annette Funicello song I ever heard, and it's still a favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Lt5XSPsUI

What a classy, classy lady. She'll be missed!

vCash
    I had the series of mystery books ("Mystery at Smugglers' Cove", "Sierra Summer", "Mystery at Moonstone Bay", "Mystery at Medicine Wheel" and "The Desert Inn Mystery") and I still have this set of paper dolls. Of course mine are cut out.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    M I C

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Even though I'd watched re-runs of MMC as a little kid, I had no idea the "Annette" on the show was Annette Funicello. My first real recollection of who she was occurred when I saw Grease in the movie theatre with my Mom, and one of the lines in it was "No one has jugs like Annette." I had to ask my Mom who they were talking about .
    Cyn, I thought that line was "would you try that crap with Annette?" Who knew?

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    RIP, Annette. Grace and dignity personified.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Last year, W5 (Canada's 60 Minutes) did an episode on Annette and what she and her husband have gone through w/her MS and were dealing w/right then. CTV's Health Reporter Avis Favaro was the one who did the piece and after the CTV Toronto 6pm News Team had gone through the passing of Margaret Thatcher and all that entailed, then they announced Annette had passed away as well today and talked to Avis. The first question she was asked was one I've wondered about ever since seeing the W5 piece last year....Why Canada and W5? Why not 60 Minutes or a Barbara Walters special.

Simple. Avis said they'd seen the pieces CTV/W5 had done on the theory about blocked neck arteries being a factor in MS and they were very impressed w/how the report was done w/dignity and compassion towards those patients in the story. Avis also said another factor very well could have been that if they had gone to one of the US shows/networks, would it have focused on the MS and the Foundation set up by them to help raise money for the fight to find a cure and/or treatment for MS? No, more than likely not.

We've all seen those pieces in the past and know what they're like. W5 didn't do that and told Annette's story and MS fight the way it deserved to be done. W/compassion, dignity and focusing on just how vicious and devastating this cruel disease is.

I remember sitting there feeling literally sick at what this vicious disease had done to such a vibrant, feisty and lovely lady. Just...

While I do feel for the Family and her Friends, at the same time....After seeing what she's had to go through the last ten years and the way she was in that episode of W5 I also can't be sad either. As her Children said in the statement they released and what I said when I learned the news earlier tonight, I *know* she's up there laughing, singing and dancing again.

Condolences to her Family and Friends. Godspeed Lovely Lady.

vCash
    I LOVED the "Annette" series on Mickey Mouse Club! It was corny of course (country girl Annette comes to live with her wealthy family, meets both cool people and mean girls, goes thru a transformation from long-haired, old-fashioned country hick to short-haired, modern sexy chic girl, is met with jealousy from the lead mean girl and is accused of stealing her necklace, but all become friends at the end), but I rushed home from school to watch each episode! I thought Annette was Elizabeth Taylor reborn.

But wow, to be honest, I thought she had died years ago.

vCash
    When I was a kid, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be Annette or Sandra Dee. Sadly, both are gone now.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Oh goodness, what sad news today. MS is such a horrible, cruel disease but she faced it with such courage, compassion, and class. Sending thoughts and prayers to Annette's friends and family and I truly believe she's finally dancing, laughing, and singing again in heaven now. RIP Annette.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast