Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Seriously. I rather wish I could find someone to teach me (or at bare minimum a good book on them.)
    In my experience most coaches know enough to teach them. And almost every current skater has done figures to some level (and much higher than what I did!) I took a great figure clinic from Alissa and Amber Czisny, and they are quite young.

vCash
    Had Michelle Kwan not been born I think Tara and Sasha would have had much greater careers. Tara quit at 15 since she was scared to compete against Michelle anymore, and Sasha felt mentally burdened by having to skate perfectly at Nationals and other events to beat Michelle, and Sasha liked to compete against weak competition she could fall against and win, did not relish the challenge of having to skate great or clean programs which she hated, which is why she imploded at other events when people like Shizuka, Slutskaya, and Sarah put that same pressure on her. I think both would have been huge legends if Kwan was not born.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes would be a two time national champion (2001, 2003) and won silver at worlds the year before the Olympics. Her OGM would not have seemed like such a fluke.

Irina would have won worlds a lot more.

Sasha would be a 5 time National champion (2000,2002,2004,2005,2006). She still would not be world champion. She would have two Olympic Medals though.

Tara probably would not have done all those 3/3's and won the olympics in 2002.

All joking aside-Sasha and Sarah may have had a great "rivalry" if you look at the potential they would have had to swap national titles back and fourth every year. I believe though that both saw Michelle as their main rival and not each other.
    Last edited by UGG; 04-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    And probably Yuna might not be in skating today, right? Hasn't she said that Michelle is the reason why she started skating?

vCash
    Well if Michelle wasn't skating at Nagano Olympics I never would have gotten into watching the sport and I wouldn't care about the state of US ladies skating.

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    And probably Yuna might not be in skating today, right? Hasn't she said that Michelle is the reason why she started skating?
    I am also remembering a very young Naomi and Sasha watching Michelle skate to Lyra Angelica by the boards at 1998 Nationals and how very excited they were. God only knows how inspiring that must have been.

vCash
    Haha I can't beleive this thread got any comments!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    THIS IS FSU, EVERYTHING GETS COMMENTED ON. EVERYTHING.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Sasha Cohen would have won a few more National Titles. And Sarah Hughes might have won one too.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Had Michelle Kwan not been born I think Tara and Sasha would have had much greater careers. Tara quit at 15 since she was scared to compete against Michelle anymore, and Sasha felt mentally burdened by having to skate perfectly at Nationals and other events to beat Michelle, and Sasha liked to compete against weak competition she could fall against and win, did not relish the challenge of having to skate great or clean programs which she hated, which is why she imploded at other events when people like Shizuka, Slutskaya, and Sarah put that same pressure on her. I think both would have been huge legends if Kwan was not born.
    Tara was scared to compete against Michelle? Say what you want about Tara but she was never intimidated by anyone including Michelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sasha Cohen would have won a few more National Titles. And Sarah Hughes might have won one too.
    Going strictly by results Sasha would have 4 more and Sarah 2 more. The Europeans would have been much happier facing them than Kwan though. Much easier competition.

vCash
    If Kwan had never been born, would everyone have spent so much time noticing the flutzes of Tara, Sasha, and Sarah Hughes?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Tara was scared to compete against Michelle? Say what you want about Tara but she was never intimidated by anyone including Michelle.
    If Christine Brennan's book, Edge of Glory, is anything to go by, Tara at least thought of Michelle as a rival, but hardly the better skater.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Going strictly by results Sasha would have 4 more and Sarah 2 more. The Europeans would have been much happier facing them than Kwan though. Much easier competition.
    And going by results, there would have been twice as many "Whatever happened to NNN" threads as she would have won one too. Tara would have 2. And Tonia Kwiatkowski woud be the 1996 National Champion!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Yes, but OTOH theres a thread about DINOSAURS that is five pages by now. So people discuss EVERYTHING here...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    Yes, but OTOH theres a thread about DINOSAURS that is five pages by now. So people discuss EVERYTHING here...
    Yes, and more pages for dinosaurs than for MK. FSU is not what it used to be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Yes, and more pages for dinosaurs than for MK. FSU is not what it used to be
    Soon pics will fly and the hell freeze over. But at least there could be a new place for skating. And then people can discuss if MK would skate there or not So all comes back to the kween

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    One would hope!

But did any of the US ladies attempt to mimic Kwan? I never saw it; Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and others all seemed different and diverse to me.
    I think there were. Of course you're going to see variation, but the buns, clean look, finished moves, lyrical movement, spiral sequences (yes I know Nicole inspired Kwan), Charlotte, etc. I definitely think Kwan's style influenced a whole generation of skaters and many found ways to keep that style but change it a bit to fit one's personality. Also, the baby ballerinas were sure finding ways to beat Kwan by being superior in skills that Kwan was weaker on...mainly spins. More flexible and faster.

vCash
    The only baby ballerina who had any sucess beating Kwan was Tara Lipinski, but that sure as heck wasnt because of her spins or flexability. Sasha Cohen didnt beat Kwan for the first time until she was like 20. Naomi Nari Nam and the other baby ballerinas never did.

Blergh
    vCash
    I meant to put "trying" to find ways.

vCash
    Well their strategy was for the wrong era though, it sounds like the COP strategy to beat someone. I wonder how some of the ultra bendy baby ballerinas from the Kwan era would have done if they had their primes today under COP instead. Then again Zhang, Nagasu, and even Czisny were all that once upon a time and they werent able to achieve all that much even today. Cohen's prime lapped into COP years and she had her best career achievements under COP as opposed to what she ever achieved under 6.0.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast