vCash

Yom hashoah - international holocaust rememberance day

Today is Yom Hashoah, the international holocaust remembrance day.

It will be interesting to see how the world will approach commemorating the holocaust, as survivors age and will no longer remain.

Anti-semtic incidents, according to haaretz, have increased by over 30% year over year.

I would like to say - never again - but we have seen genocide happen again, and again. never forget.

fight against racism, bigotry, and hate, in all forms.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Never forget.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I just reread Children of the Flames. Never forget.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post

And indifference.

The hardest part for me is comprehending not how people grew hatred and did atrocious things, but how so many people in the population (including the German side of my family) didn't think it was really happening, didn't see it coming, or was swept up in crazy propaganda.

I think disbelief and indifference can be just as dangerous than actively hating.

Never forget.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The bystander effect. Obedience to authority. It's not just the Germans, it's all of us.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    A letter was written to my grandfather 2 years after the war was over by, I think, either his uncle or his cousin (am not sure). There is more in that letter about the house and the property and some advice about that to my grandfather which is not interesting. Grandfather and his family were from a town Liepel in Belarus.

I was born a couple of years after the said grandfather died. My grandmother was his second wife.

29 / XI – 47
    Dear Velya,
    I came back from Liepel yesterday and you are the first am to report on Liepel `news’. I know such an update will open your bleeding wounds just as it would to all our relatives and dear ones who remained alive, but I decided to write you in details what I have seen and learned during those days in Liepel.

I had only spent 2 days in Leipel and couldn’t endure anymore – I couldn’t stand hearing everyone who met me repeating the horrors our relatives lived through and how they died. Your Sara stayed and Liepel all along. She had another son. She lived with your kids and your parents in the ghetto in Sveiski str. They were not allowed to go out for food nor to meet up with the Russians, but yet they sneaked out and exchanged things for food. For instance Sonja would go early to Shpak’s and buy some fish. They were mourning you being sure you were dead. They all were forced to work. All that went on till Saturday the 28/2/1942. That day in the early morning they were taken by cars to a village Chernoruchie (8km from Liepel to the direction of Borisov) and all 960 people were shot and buried in 4 holes. Before being killed they had to strip down and remain in the underwear, both adults and children. The cloths were taken to a store later and sold. While they were driven a heart wrenching shouts of children and the elderly were heard from the cars, while the youth were shouting the communist songs, Sara was shouting slogans and asking to get even with the Germans for the spilled blood of our people. Shmer and Hena and Ruven and Hvenka shared the same destiny. Hvenka was suffering with an abscess on her finger, while Zhenya was ill for a whole month with a flu. They were shot while still ill. They were shooting with machine guns and throwing the kids alive into the hole. Nema Staris was in Belostok during the beginning of the war. He came back a couple of days after Liepel was occupied and was shot with his wife and their two children. In Kaman the Jews were killed in September 1941 and the Germans `respected’ Bella Ruppo’s request to shoot her and her child first. Shay Ruppo went mad when they were transferred. This is more or less the picture of the life and death of our dear ones. The locals took part of it as well – the policemen, while the heads of the Ghetto were Gordod, Zalman, Vigders and Akselrod – the Russian school teacher.

Now about the property: Hvenka’s house was taken by a phogograhy. Sherka’s house was taken by a policeman. Your house remains empty. There are no windows, no frames, no floor, no doors, now the walls are being stolen for heating.
    I spent most of my time during those 2 days in that house – that’s the only place where I could let my emptions flow and cry over the dead. On 22/11 instead of kissing the loved ones I kissed all the corners of that house and left.

Kisses, Your Simkha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Entire post.
    A chilling and heartbreaking letter, TAHbKA.

Never forget.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Never forget!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    Today is Yom Hashoah, the international holocaust remembrance day.

It will be interesting to see how the world will approach commemorating the holocaust
    tablet, as survivors age and will no longer remain.

Anti-semtic incidents, according to haaretz, have increased by over 30% year over year.

I would like to say - never again - but we have seen genocide happen again, and again. never forget.

I did not remember the day so thanks for sharing. Surely we need to fight against racism, bigtory and hate.
    Last edited by SamuelHawkins; 04-09-2013 at 05:03 AM.

vCash
    A letter was written to my grandfather 2 years after the war was over by, I think, either his uncle or his cousin (am not sure). There is more in that letter about the house and the property and some advice about that to my grandfather which is not interesting. Grandfather and his family were from a town Liepel in Belarus.

I was born a couple of years after the said grandfather died. My grandmother was his second wife.

29 / XI – 47
    Dear Velya,
    I came back from Liepel yesterday and you are the first am to report on Liepel `news’. I know such an update will open your bleeding wounds just as it would to all our relatives and dear ones who remained alive, but I decided to write you in details what I have seen and learned during those days in Liepel.

I had only spent 2 days in Leipel and couldn’t endure anymore – I couldn’t stand hearing everyone who met me repeating the horrors our relatives lived through and how they died. Your Sara stayed and Liepel all along. She had another son. She lived with your kids and your parents in the ghetto in Sveiski str. They were not allowed to go out for food nor to meet up with the Russians, but yet they sneaked out and exchanged things for food. For instance Sonja would go early to Shpak’s and buy some fish. They were mourning you being sure you were dead. They all were forced to work. All that went on till Saturday the 28/2/1942. That day in the early morning they were taken by cars to a village Chernoruchie (8km from Liepel to the direction of Borisov) and all 960 people were shot and buried in 4 holes. Before being killed they had to strip down and remain in the underwear, both adults and children. The cloths were taken to a store later and sold. While they were driven a heart wrenching shouts of children and the elderly were heard from the cars, while the youth were shouting the communist songs, Sara was shouting slogans and asking to get even with the Germans for the spilled blood of our people. Shmer and Hena and Ruven and Hvenka shared the same destiny. Hvenka was suffering with an abscess on her finger, while Zhenya was ill for a whole month with a flu. They were shot while still ill. They were shooting with machine guns and throwing the kids alive into the hole. Nema Staris was in Belostok during the beginning of the war. He came back a couple of days after Liepel was occupied and was shot with his wife and their two children. In Kaman the Jews were killed in September 1941 and the Germans `respected’ Bella Ruppo’s request to shoot her and her child first. Shay Ruppo went mad when they were transferred. This is more or less the picture of the life and death of our dear ones. The locals took part of it as well – the policemen, while the heads of the Ghetto were Gordod, Zalman, Vigders and Akselrod – the Russian school teacher.

Now about the property: Hvenka’s house was taken by a phogograhy. Sherka’s house was taken by a policeman. Your house remains empty. There are no windows, no frames, no floor, no doors, now the walls are being stolen for heating.
    I spent most of my time during those 2 days in that house – that’s the only place where I could let my emptions flow and cry over the dead. On 22/11 instead of kissing the loved ones I kissed all the corners of that house and left.

Kisses, Your Simkha
    May they rest in peace.

vCash
    This is actually Israel's Holocaust memorial day; the international one is in January, on the date of the liberation of Auschwitz (Israel's is closer to the date of the Warsaw ghetto uprising).

vCash
    Thanks for posting. We should never forget.

vCash
    I had the extraordinary opportunity to visit the Holocaust museum in Israel while on a business trip there. It was an unbelievable experience. It's so hard to understand how some human beings could commit such atrocities against other humans. I am not Jewish but I will never forget.

vCash
    TAHbKA, thank you for sharing.

I'm not Jewish.
    However, I have had several close friends who were survivors of various camps.
    I was blessed to hear their stories, from the time I was old enough to remember.
    My father arranged it.

It was my great privilege and honor to listen to them.
    I'm forever grateful.
    Because of them, I can never forget.

May God bless their memory, forever.

vCash
    Thank you for the thread and the responses. I just finished reading Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller. Compelling read.

I recommended it to my daughter (even though at 8 months pregnant with lots of hormones I knew it would be a hard read). It is easy to avoid this topic as too difficult, too depressing, too.....real? She read it even though it was hard. Concurrently, she learned of (I don't know if it was through work, or the paper) a German Woman who was a dr. or plumber or something. She went into the camp everyday, to work, and was able to smuggle out over 2,000 babies in her tool case. Huge kudos to this righteous person.

My daughter's take, however was: OK - this woman did a very brave and wonderful thing. But why didn't EVERYONE save those children. Why weren't all the people there saving people. And, for me this is the most difficult thing to grapple with. I get bad things, evil people, twisted times, etc. I can even swallow Hanna Arendt's
    Banality of Evil
    . That covers the horrors of the really bad people. But what about the other people? The entire population? How could they just stand by?

I am not sure that much has changed, however, as I look around the world.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Concurrently, she learned of (I don't know if it was through work, or the paper) a German Woman who was a dr. or plumber or something. She went into the camp everyday, to work, and was able to smuggle out over 2,000 babies in her tool case. Huge kudos to this righteous person.
    Pole Irene Sendler.

On 22/11 instead of kissing the loved ones I kissed all the corners of that house and left.

vCash
    vesperholly....thank you so much for the link. Very inspiring. (Well, that doesn't come close to covering it....but...)
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    We had a couple of Coast Guard vets discuss liberating the camps at the close of the war...deep stuff.