vCash

Things to do in Gettysburg, Pa?

Well, I woke up yesterday and sat straight up and said "Gettysburg". Today I got time of from work and booked a ticket to Pennsylvania. I plan to do some hiking, and explore Gettysburg as well.

What is recommended there? I plan to find an historic Inn to stay in, and will probably enjoy a ghost tour.

vCash
    I haven't been there in years but this site might give you some ideas.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    My dad did the tour of the battlefield, as well as the ghost tour with his Boy Scout troop a few years ago. The stories he brought back from the ghost tour were... interesting. *cue eerie music*

vCash
    It's worth it to take one of the tours. But because of the way the battlefield is laid out, you can also actually drive your car all over to the important sites, like Little Round Top, Culp's Hill, the Wheatfield etc. To do it right takes a whole day IMO.

Do your self a favor....go to the big statue of RE Lee to see where the start of Pickett's charge was...and then look up the hill to the big tree where the Union line was. And try to imagine how the Rebels thought they had any chance charging up there. Seems impossible, yet they almost made it.

We stayed here: http://www.thegettysburgaddress.com/accommodation.htm not a bad place

vCash
    I think it was >20 years ago now, but at the time the battlefield tour with a licensed guide was a bargain at $17. The guide accompanied just the two of us in our own car and was incredibly informative. Afterwards, we had a period dinner at the Farnsworth House Inn which was quite good.

vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will arrive there at about 3pm, so that gives me a half day, and will spend at least the next day as well. Probably can do ghostly things that night, and the battlefield the next day. Would that be enough?

My time is limited, and I wanted to spend at least three days hiking. What trails with waterfalls are in the vicinity?

vCash
    The ghost tour was okay, but our guide seemed to be quoting straight out of the book. I had more fun looking at the architecture there.

The new visitors center is a MUST. Absolutely amazing. The displays are free, but there's a fee for the film and the cyclorama. Skip the cyclorama, the film is worth watching.

I made the mistake of starting our self tour at the graveyard. I suggest getting the guided book or tape and doing it properly.

vCash
    I grew up not far from there... there is a lot to do in the general area. Hersheypark is fun, Lake Raystown, the East Broad Top Railroad (incidentally, the bed and breakfast across the street is my childhood home-- you can stay in my old bedroom!). Enjoy!
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    you can stay in my old bedroom!). Enjoy!
    Can I mention your name and get a discount? Actually, I just booked two nights at the Lightner farmhouse. A lot of hotels seem to be booked there. I suppose I can find a cheapish hotel somewhere for the other two nights I will be there.

vCash
    you can stay in my old bedroom!). Enjoy!
    Can I mention your name and get a discount? Actually, I just booked two nights at the Lightner farmhouse. A lot of hotels seem to be booked there. I suppose I can find a cheapish hotel somewhere for the other two nights I will be there.