View Poll Results: Best chance of retaining their Olympic title: Hanyu or Sotnikova?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yuzuru Hanyu

171 91.94%
  • Adelina Sotnikova

6 3.23%
  • Don't know

9 4.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Best chance of retaining their Olympic title in 2018: Hanyu or Sotnikova?

If Hanyu were to retain his Olympic title in 2018, he would become the first skater in men's singles to retain his title since Dick Button in 1952.

If Adelina Sotnikova were to retain her Olympic title in 2018, she would the first skater in Ladies singles to do so since Katerina Witt in 1988.

Hence, which of the 2 skaters has the best chance of retaining their Olympic title in 2018 - Hanyu or Sotnikova?

vCash
    Hanyu by about 100 times over. How is this even a question. I would give Hanyu a 70% chance to win the next Olympics. I would give Sotnikova at most a 15% to even be on the ice competing at the next Olympics.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Considering that Hanyu is actually as good as his scores, even if I hate his programs, I think he is good enough to win multiple OGMs.

Maybe Sotnikova will get better, but she wasn't good enough for the OGM she has now.

vCash
    Considering the 2018 Olympics is held in Korea and one is Japanese, the other Russian I say both have no chances. They would need to give the skate of their lives to even land on the podium for bronze

vCash
    I could see a Russian winning in 2018. Just definitely not Sotnikova is all.

vCash
    I couldn't believe that this was actually a question... Hanyu! I think Lipnitskaya could win the next Olympics though.

vCash
    Sotnikova is like ''bad luck Brian'' in FSU. She gave best performance of her life with very good number of triple jumps but now everbody lost believe in her but Hanyu gave bad performance with a lot of mistakes everbody already thinks he is two time olympic champion.

I voted for Hanyu by the way. I don't know If Sotnikova will ever come back.

vCash
    That would be funny to see Sotnikova coming back in 2018 with a lot of improvements, correct edges, polished style, to win the Gold medal !

vCash
    Hanyu, hands down, mainly because Sotnikova doesn't have the greatest jump technique which will come to haunt her as she gets older.

And for the record I didn't have a problem so much with the fact that Sotnikova won the OGM, but by the margin of victory. It wasn't even close and I was slightly disturbed by that. I also found the scoring in the sp more upsetting on that note than in the lp.

Regarding Hanyu, I think he can only get better, especially in the component mark.

vCash
    Hanyu by far. Sotnikova has about as much chance of winning a million dollar lottery than defending her Olympic title.

vCash
    I voted "don't know", but actually I just hope neither of them will win the OGM in 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    I voted "don't know", but actually I just hope neither of them will win the OGM in 2018.
    Prepare to be dissapointed when it comes to Hanyu then. I don't see who could even possibly beat him then, including the young juniors coming up. Maybe Fernandez if he gets mentally tougher, and improves his GOE and PCS, but he will be pretty old by the next Games. Unlike the womens you wont see a teenager who emerges a year or two before the Games only win it, that never happens in mens skating, only in womens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joubertelegant View Post
    Prepare to be dissapointed when it comes to Hanyu then. I don't see who could even possibly beat him then, including the young juniors coming up. Maybe Fernandez if he gets mentally tougher, and improves his GOE and PCS, but he will be pretty old by the next Games. Unlike the womens you wont see a teenager who emerges a year or two before the Games only win it, that never happens in mens skating, only in womens.
    Didn't it just happen with Hanyu? He wasn't a contender 2 years ago, it was all about Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Didn't it just happen with Hanyu? He wasn't a contender 2 years ago, it was all about Chan.
    Well, quite a few people was sure he'd be a contender for a medal in 2010/2011 but after his bronze in 2012, some believed he could challenge for OGM by Sochi. Of course, the majority was going with Chan, but Hanyu didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

vCash
    Ya, the only other one I think might be able to beat Hanyu by then would be Kovtun, if he improves a bit and they don't give his spot to Plush again. Jason Brown could be a dark horse if he gets a quad, but I'd still say that's a very outside chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Hanyu has been on the senior circuit for the entire olympic cycle though. He didn't produce results his first year on the senior GP that would make you go - that is an Olympic podium contender, but he's been a senior for 4 years.
    I think Hanyu's got a better chance of defending than Sotnikova though. There are a handful of ladies out there that can match Sotnikova's jump content, especially in her own country, while Hanyu for now has the ever so slight upper hand on the men except for Javi. We'll see if someone comes along in the next quad that can out jump Hanyu bc PCS sure didn't save Chan during the Olympics.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 07-14-2014 at 07:01 AM.

vCash
    That's ok, because I don't have any male favorite skater atm (if Chan retires). Plus, considering the constant crooked judging in FS, I don't expect rightful winners to receive the gold medal they actually deserve.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Sotnikova is like ''bad luck Brian'' in FSU. She gave best performance of her life with very good number of triple jumps but now everbody lost believe in her but Hanyu gave bad performance with a lot of mistakes everbody already thinks he is two time olympic champion.
    Maybe because Sotnikova needed to give the skates of her life in Russia, whereas Hanyu could mess up several times and still win, and that gives him a much greater upside?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 07-15-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oops, dupe.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 07-15-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Exactly, Adelina had to skate out of her mind to win the Olympics in Russia with Putin probably paying a fortune for her win. Even the performances she gave there, literally once in a lifetime type skates for her probably, would have seen her only 3rd or 4th overall, and nowhere near a gold medal, had the Games been held anywhere else too. Add to that the amazing depth coming up in Russia, that Julia usually beats her already and has a lot more improvement left than Adelina has if she even continues, and that Sotnikova would be the most hated women in the country if she somehow made it to the next Games....and well you do the math to her winning odds.

Hanyu's are excellent, goes without saying. That as an up and coming skater who can get a lot better he won the Olympics with 2 falls and a 3rd mistake which cost him more points than a fall, only speaks to how high his chances moving forward are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast