Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Cool Sandra Lee's LAST Cookbook...

Oh, darn! Hey, scroll down in the article to see where she talks about "snobs."

She also mentions the Kwanzaa Cake...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...book-last.html
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    When asked by The New York Times last year what she thought of the people who criticize her for using processed food in her recipes, Ms Lee responded: 'I think they’re snobs. I'm not sure that some of the food purists are in touch with what really goes on in American households.'

She continued: 'It’s shtick. That’s how some people get their press. There are 17million children in this country going hungry every day, and we're worried about my Kwanzaa cake from ten years ago? That's what I think is ridiculous.'
    Because the two things are totally equatable.

vCash
    Because most people would rather starve than to eat that cake?

And she works my nerves with her assumption that she knows what is going on in American kitchens. She doesn't, not really.

vCash
    I'd believe that she had a clue if maybe a huge number of her recipes didn't actually cost more to make using all the store bought crap she destroys in the process, but they do. They're more expensive and sometimes actually more or just as time-consuming as doing it from scratch or using better ingredients. She has no idea.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Most people who buy cake mix use it to make a cake, not a hate crime with corn nut sprinkles.

vCash
    I thought her magazine stopped publication

And WTH is she wearing in that picture? (besides her face that is so plastic-surgeried she can't smile any more widely) That quilted white fabric looks like it came from a car seat cover.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Sandra Lee's LAST Cookbook...

She is clueless! Her recipes are EXPENSIVE!!! Not to mention horribly unhealthy and the children going hungry need a) affordable food and when they do get a good meal it needs to be nutritious. She is providing neither!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    She definitely misses the point. Most people have no issue with the premise of her show. I think most of us have recipes that are "semi-homemade." Probably most of my "go-to" party recipes fall into that category -- fudge that uses chocolate chips and condensed milk; cheesecake that uses graham cracker crumbs, Philly cream cheese, and sour cream; guacamole that uses pre-made salsa, and dishes with sauces that often are adulterated versions of chili sauce, soy/worcestershire, or hot sauce, etc. The problem with Sandra Lee's semi-homemade recipes is that they don't really save time or money, and they are just vile in both look and taste. And then she acts completely plastic as she "hosts" whatever event she has created with her "theme" of the episode -- usually in a way that makes viewers recoil in jaw-dropping horror.

The reason the Kwanzaa cake still gets mentioned is not, because it had processed ingredients. It gets mentioned because it exemplifies everything that is wrong with Sandra Lee's recipes. It was a grotesque recipe that threw together nasty ingredients that resulted in a horrid looking, foul tasting concoction. And then she threw corn nuts over it and stuck in some mammoth candles in the top and claimed it had something to do with Kwanzaa -- displaying her utter ignorance of the subject.

Ironically, people forget that the Kwanzaa cake wasn't the only offensive cake in that episode. The Chanukah cake recipe was pulled from the Food Network website because it used marshmallows, which contain gelatin and are not Kosher. The cake also had the most misshapen Stars of David I've ever seen.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    She definitely misses the point. Most people have no issue with the premise of her show. I think most of us have recipes that are "semi-homemade." Probably most of my "go-to" party recipes fall into that category -- fudge that uses chocolate chips and condensed milk; cheesecake that uses graham cracker crumbs, Philly cream cheese, and sour cream; guacamole that uses pre-made salsa, and dishes with sauces that often are adulterated versions of chili sauce, soy/worcestershire, or hot sauce, etc. The problem with Sandra Lee's semi-homemade recipes is that they don't really save time or money, and they are just vile in both look and taste.
    Exactly. Honestly, I'm going to get a more tasty salsa or refried beans out of a jar/can than I'm likely to be able to make myself. I have no problem using them. I like Jiffy mix for biscuit toppings, I am certainly not going to make my own pancake mix 99% of the time. The problem with her recipes is she has you spend money on these products and then *uses them in a way that makes no sense.* Why would you rip out the guts of a perfectly-good pre-made pie? On whose planet is that reasonable? Just buy a can of pie filling if you don't want to make it. Or get canned packed fruit and make a pie filling. NOT COMPLICATED.

Also, compare the photo of her on a red carpet somewhere with the cover of the new book....how much processing power did that Photoshop job take?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Most people who buy cake mix use it to make a cake, not a hate crime with corn nut sprinkles.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Don't forget her Noel Cake...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Thanks for nothing, Rex. That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. That canned frosting looks so vile.
    Last edited by emason; 04-07-2013 at 02:29 AM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    is her kitchen always decorated like the chicken ranch on valentine's day?

there's no way i could ever take andrew cuomo seriously
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    If you want a real good laugh, check out her Star of David cake. You just never mind those non-kosher marshmellows stuck in the center of the cake. And really, what is it with her and stuffing the center of angel food cakes? Was she traumatized by a cake hole as a child? Perhaps she got stuck in one?

I always whenever she laments the woes of the average American housewife and her troubles in getting food on the table for her family. This woman received a 50 million dollar divorce settlement from her first husband and is now dating another millionaire, she has no business speaking for the "average American".

Also, if anyone has GAC (Great American Country), they're showing Semi-Homemade from the beginning. They showed the very first episode the other day. The "food" consisted of nothing but sugary desserts made from canned this and frozen that and pudding cups! And booze, lots and lots of booze. She also told a lovely story about visiting Jamaica with a friend whose parents owned a house there. Her and this friend drank so much rum that she actually passed out in her plate at dinner! Or as she says, she "fell asleep".

vCash
    The Kwanzaa cake revisited. Now, I noticed that Sandra says that this cake is a "harvest cake," decorated for Kwanzaa. I don't think the choice of ingredients was supposed to reflect anything about Kwanzaa, itself. So is this cake disrespectful to Kwanzaa, or just a gross cake in general? The article in the link explores this deep question.

O.k., I had my husband watch the dreaded Kwanzaa cake video, and he said it looked pretty tasty to him. Guess what he is getting for his birthday...

http://www.salon.com/2010/12/26/sand...ake_offensive/
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Thanks for nothing, Rex. That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. That canned frosting looks so vile.
    Isn't it amazing? I mainly lurve how she uses a spice cake and a chocolate cake together to create this russipee...she basically buys these cakes, chops them up, throws part of them away, then buys an excessive amount of canned icing for decoration. And then...the licorice....

vCash
    Isn't it amazing? I mainly lurve how she uses a spice cake and a chocolate cake together to create this russipee...she basically buys these cakes, chops them up, throws part of them away, then buys an excessive amount of canned icing for decoration. And then...the licorice....
    Yeah at least she could have baked the cake layers. I mean how hard is that? And that shade of green is I'm also disappointed that she didn't throw in some vanilla eggstract to make it taste homemade.

And what is it about winter holidays that make her want to shove crap in a cake? Hanukkah Cake (that homemade Star of David made of pearls was ), Noel Cake, Kwanzaa Cake??

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My very favorite was when she bought mini pie crusts, pre-made and pre-baked..of course. Then she bought a pie, I can't even remember what kind now. Maybe pumpkin. Then she SCOOPED OUT THE PUMPKIN PIE AND PUT IT IN THE BOUGHT CRUSTS. The end. You can't make this shite up.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    delete
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-07-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    On the upside, it killed my sugar craving.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My very favorite was when she bought mini pie crusts, pre-made and pre-baked..of course. Then she bought a pie, I can't even remember what kind now. Maybe pumpkin. Then she SCOOPED OUT THE PUMPKIN PIE AND PUT IT IN THE BOUGHT CRUSTS. The end. You can't make this shite up.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast