Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Here is Ebert's review of Deuce Bigalow, the Rob Schneider film, with the "speaking as a Pulitzer Prize winner" line. This is a classic
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/50725001

He also had a go at Conrad Black, when Black owned the Chicago Sun-Times. The Times reporters went on strike because Conrad was a cheap*ss boss and a jerk, and Ebert wrote a public letter supporting the strikers. Here's the letters that went back and forth. I think Ebert definitely won this one....
    http://www.newsdissector.com/2007/04...-conrad-black/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Lord Black was eventually disgraced, and imprisoned, I believe.

vCash
    My favorite review of his was Spice World: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...801230303/1023
    The Spice Girls are easier to tell apart than the Mutant Ninja Turtles, but that is small consolation: What can you say about five women whose principal distinguishing characteristic is that they have different names
    RIP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Lord Black was eventually disgraced, and imprisoned, I believe.
    He did, but unfortunately he is out again and is boring the world with his prison memoirs. And he still owes a ton of money:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle9697934/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My favorite review of his was Spice World: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...801230303/1023

RIP.
    I'd never seen that one. That's hilarious!!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    My favourite local film reviewer, Eli Glasner, posted a lovely tribute to Ebert today.

I love this quote:

"Roger Ebert was not a film snob, but a film lover. Yes, he would happily sing the praises of his all time favourite Citizen Kane. But he was also content to ease into the pulpy pleasures of the latest Bond film or commend Ang Lee's spirited spectacle Life of Pi. Ebert was man enough to defend David Cronenberg's Crash and was certainly vocal about what he hated. Burrow into his writing and you'll find someone who used films as a jumping-off point. He understood that movies are this magic place where we meet in the dark to dream together and he never lost sight of the human element."

vCash
    His film reviews where what first made me start reading the newspaper when I was a kid. I of course started reading the other sections more aptly, but I always made sure to check out his reviews. Didn't always agree, but so much respect for him. I can't think anyone could take his place.

RIP.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Here is Ebert's review of Deuce Bigalow, the Rob Schneider film, with the "speaking as a Pulitzer Prize winner" line. This is a classic
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/50725001
    Wow!

What a great review and a great loss.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I've always enjoyed Roger's reviews, as well as the blog entries I read of his as well. And I was amazed by how well he coped with his illness - which he said he was a medical mystery of sorts in that he was not supposed to have survived. In addition to all the various medical issues he had, he couldn't eat or drink for many, many years, and could talk only through a voice box. I can't imagine coping with that well, but he did it with grace. His passion for movies and love for his wife sustained him.

I didn't always agree with his his reviews, but always found them intelligent and sometimes, awfully funny.

Once, in reviewing a film about the plight of a woman in modern-day Afghanistan, he stated that "the real weapons of mass destruction are men". I thought that was brilliant and true - and had to be said by a man.

His reviews and comments were always full of nuggets like that - lots of wit, insight and astute observation.

RIP Roger Ebert.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I've always enjoyed Roger's reviews, as well as the blog entries I read of his as well. And I was amazed by how well he coped with his illness - which he said he was a medical mystery of sorts in that he was not supposed to have survived. In addition to all the various medical issues he had, he couldn't eat or drink for many, many years, and could talk only through a voice box. can't imagine coping with that well, but he did it with grace.
    It was even worse than that -- he couldn't speak at all. He used a voice simulation computer program and had to type out everything he "said".
    His passion for movies and love for his wife sustained him.
    Yes, he truly had a "calling" and a wife who was an amazing support through it all.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123