17 12.32%
  • bronze

17 12.32%
  • no medal

86 62.32%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Michelle didn't skate at the 2010 Olympics, so......what difference does it make where she might have placed?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I don't think that Kwan would have been in medal contention. As much as some fans wanted her to have an OGM, I believe that she was much better served by not winning one. She had a long career, will be remembered as one of the greatest female skaters. If she had won the OGM in place of Tara, I imagine she would have retired. As it was, she continued to skate increased the popularity of skating in the US and we were witnessed to outstanding skating.

I know that the die hard Kwan fans wanted her to have an OGM, but I would guess that there are many once every 4 years fans who think she did.

vCash
    I can't tell you how many times I had to tell people Kwan didn't with the OGM and they just look at me like I'm an idiot I think the average person who doesn't follow the sport very often does think she won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I don't think that Kwan would have been in medal contention. As much as some fans wanted her to have an OGM, I believe that she was much better served by not winning one. She had a long career, will be remembered as one of the greatest female skaters. If she had won the OGM in place of Tara, I imagine she would have retired.
    As a side note to that I also think if that happened it would have been a really bad thing for U.S womens skating and their current famine would have come alot sooner. I agree Michelle probably (but not certain) would have retired had she won the 98 OGM. However most likely Tara also would have soon retired as well. Her hip was too butchered to realistically continue in amateur skating. Even if she continued she would have no longer been able to do the triple-triples and super difficult jump layouts that made her special, so would have likely dropped backwards quickly as well. In this situation and the Americans being stuck with only Nikidinov, and some 13 years olds to start the quad, the Russian fed. would have jumped on the opportunity and pushed hard for Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, and even Voltchkova. By the time Hughes emerged in 2001 and Cohen in 2002 the Russians probably would have already been heavily entrenched at the top politically. Could have quite possibly been a Russian sweep in SLC. Cohen in such a situation might have even gotten bored and quit sooner, further extending a possible U.S drought of sorts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Michelle didn't skate at the 2010 Olympics, so......what difference does it make where she might have placed?
    Party pooper.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I think she would have definitely beat Rochette if she was clean, if not Asada as well. I voted silver at first but I'm starting to think maybe she wouldn't have beat Asada.. not sure about that one. I know Asada's 3A was underrotated though, IIRC? I'm getting sleepy so I'm having trouble even typing this coherently lol.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Michelle could not have beat Yuna. Yuna has too many 3-3's, consistent jumps, and too much height on her jumps to lose to anyone. Michelle seemed to flounder under COP as well, during her last few international competitions. I don't think Michelle could have beat even Joannie. She probably would have been 4th-6th in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    May I say I'm that some voted for Gold? Seriously, if we repeat this poll in 2022 asking if Michelle might have won gold that year when still competing, then I guess some dye heart fans will still vote for gold.
    Kwan would win gold in 3022 and 4022. She doesn't even have to be alive to win gold!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Kwan would win gold in 3022 and 4022. She doesn't even have to be alive to win gold!
    She's won gold in previous lives.

vCash
    Michelle would never have won gold, she'd have lost to the 97 year old Sonja Henie, skating clean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Michelle would never have won gold, she'd have lost to the 97 year old Sonja Henie, skating clean.
    Then Colledge and Taylor would kick her off the podium altogether. She'd just barely edge McCorkell for fourth place overall.

vCash
    While we are at it why don't we ask how Irina, Tara, Katerina Witt and others would have done. We hadn't even seen Michelle skate in over four years. We don't even know what she could do technically. I suspect if Michelle thought she could have been competitive she might have done so. Who knows if Kwan would have even made the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Because it's the off season...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Still, this type of question is really for skaters ahead of their time, like Denise Beillman, Elaine Zayak, Midori Ito, and Tonya Harding, not skaters by which all others are measured in their own time, like Kwan, Witt, and Henie.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I had to tell people Kwan didn't with the OGM and they just look at me like I'm an idiot I think the average person who doesn't follow the sport very often does think she won.
    These are the same people who think I'm going to the Olympics because I have white skates, and think there's an actual move called the Iron Lotus.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    If it had been Yu Na and Kwan in 1998 with no Tara, Kwan still wouldn't have won gold. And if Tara had been there I'd have put my money on Yu Na. It blows my mind that 4 people actually think Kwan could have beat that.
    Yet, Yu Na needed to study Michelle first before taking it to another level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Jenny Kirk went on tour with Michelle after those championships and said Michelle skated her competitive long program (Bolero) every night when most skaters were doing simple show programs and Jenny never saw her miss a single jump during the entire tour. That's a 6 triple program. Her consistency was unrivaled, it just seems that her body couldn't hold up any longer after that year. .
    I love me some Kween but if that's true, that is unbelievably stupid. No wonder her body didn't hold up even 6 months afterwards. It's like when Plushenko, who was also doing full programs on tour in the early 2000's, it's tempting the injury gods. Only it took longer for it to catch up Plushenko, maybe because he was much younger, but it did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Then Colledge and Taylor would kick her off the podium altogether. She'd just barely edge McCorkell for fourth place overall.
    Don't forget Madge Syers. She was challenging for a medal in the men's event as well as the women's. She's a tough cookie.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Don't forget Madge Syers. She was challenging for a medal in the men's event as well as the women's. She's a tough cookie.
    And in pairs as well! How could I have forgotten about her and the skating-ignited Anglo-Swedish War of 1902?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast