View Poll Results: Does 'Chanflation' exist?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

127 60.19%
  • No

79 37.44%
  • Don't know

5 2.37%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Does 'Chanflation' exist?

In this article, Jackie Wong argues:-

Since the Chan-Ten decision at Worlds, commentators left and right seem to have come up with the same explanation, "Chanflation." The term came about because Patrick Chan has a history of getting high program component scores even after making multiple mistakes in his program. But as it is, Chanflation doesn't really exist as much as the commentary wants you to believe. In fact, in most instances, Chan's victories have been more than fair based on the rules of the IJS.
    Is Jackie right or wrong?

vCash
    She is right. Too bad so many others haven't bothered to
    1) understand the rules of COP
    2) hide their hate of Chan
    3) understand that it's the judges, not Chan, who give out the marks.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I wouldn't say Chan's victories have been "more than fair" based on IJS rules, but if one takes the time to learn the system then yes, they are understandable.

Perhaps there are some Chan-haterz who are simply using the Worlds decision to bash him even more. I'm upset by the Worlds decision, but I'm no Chan hater: I think he's fan-freakin-tastic. I have nothing against Chan, he's just skating. I do believe he gets a bit of world-champion bonus, but he's not the first and probably won't be the last to receive such treatment.

But I am with those who are not just fine and dandy with the current state of IJS and the way it's scored.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Is this an April fools joke question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    She is right. Too bad so many others haven't bothered to
    1) understand the rules of COP
    2) hide their hate of Chan
    3) understand that it's the judges, not Chan, who give out the marks.
    I Agree! Reading some of the comments made by people on here, it seems like a lot of people are stuck in the past and have not bothered to keep up to date with the rules.
    Trying to hang on to the so called "glory days" of the 6.0

vCash
    I don't like Patrick either but he deserves every component he receives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    I Agree! Reading some of the comments made by people on here, it seems like a lot of people are stuck in the past and have not bothered to keep up to date with the rules.
    Then you'd know how obsolete these people's minds are. I believe they do study the new rules - well, some of them do. However, their mind cannot jump out of the old schools. How can you make someone happy with the new things if their mind stuck in the past?

Patrick makes mistakes often. And Patrick wins most of the time. That's where "Chanflation" came from. It was from the people whose favorites lost. Has he really been having the so called "Chanflation"? About 95% of the time, I could say NO! If people insist that there was "Chanflation" going on in most major competitions Chan attended, they should at least admit that there were "Tenflation", "Takahashiflation", "Hanyuflation", "Plushyflation", "Joubertflation", and so on... But no, they chose not to acknowledge those at least equally, sometimes more, questionable marks. Nor would they admit that there were much more truly unexplainable inflations in the old 6.0 system.
    Last edited by Eyre; 04-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.

vCash
    No.

vCash
    Well, it exists but it doesn't exist on purpose to prop up Patrick Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Well, it exists but it doesn't exist on purpose to prop up Patrick Chan.
    This!

With IJS Skaters whose basics are of a tremendously high quality will win with mistakes over those whose basics are of a lower quality.

In a ridiculously obvious example - put the skater with the worst basics who completes all the elements against the skater with the best basics and mistakes and you can see why they would win. It becomes more complicated when their basics are closer in level.

However, it is not just something about the system that benefits Chan and as time goes on - if there are not changes to the judging - we will see more examples of skaters that are just that good. For instance - we have seen all year that V and T with mistakes will beat other really good teams with no mistakes. There have been similar complaints about Carolina Kostner.

Having just seen them all skate at Worlds - I fully appreciate Kostner's and V and T's and Chan's superior skating. But my main point is - the system rewards fantastic basics -and fantastic basics allow for higher levels and better GOE.

This is not Chanflation - it is the system that rewards the amazing skills of Chan - and V and T and Kostner .

vCash
    Agreed. So then the question is: Is this really a problem?

Point values and judges' use of program components can be adjusted so that blatant mistakes will be more costly and so that superficially clean programs will be more highly rewarded just for cleanness in addition to whatever other positive qualities they gain points for.

If more changes are made in those directions, it will become less common for better skaters to win even with several mistakes.

But even so, there would still be some occasions when all the best skaters make mistakes and the next-best skater with a clean program is not quite in the top ranks on PCS or attempted base value or quality of successful elements. And so the cleanest program would not win. And observers who believe mistakes should spell defeat will still be dissatisfied.

At the big high-profile events like Worlds, Olympics, GP Final, there will probably be enough good skaters that writing in massive penalties for these mistakes and significant bonuses for superficial cleanness would almost always result in a cleaner skate winning. But at a smaller competition like a regular Grand Prix event, senior B event, or national championship, where there may be only one world-medal-level skater entered, it would still be possible that that skater could be enough ahead of the rest of the field on everything thing else to overcome the stiff penalties.

The only ways to guarantee that performances with certain types or numbers of mistakes will never win would be to disqualify the skater as soon as those mistakes have been verified.

I would be in favor of some effort to minimize the occurrences of good clean programs losing to great-but-visibly-flawed programs, through the means mentioned in my second paragraph. But ultimately I think the sport will continue to value underlying quality over simple lack of visible errors, so it's also important to help viewers appreciate those qualities, the better to understand the results.

vCash
    YES, without a doubt.
    If a similar result occurs at the 2014 Olympic games I predict a huge uproar putting the 2002 Pairs event/result to shame. Figure skating will have zero credibility as a sport.

Comansnala?
    vCash

Does 'Chanflation' exist?

Is the world a sphere?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Jackie Wong is a terrible writer. Maofan, I'm glad you were able to figure out what the article was about, because I didn't have the patience to plow through it to the end.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Chanflation originally referred to the fact that the judges at 2010 Canadian Nationals really outdid themselves with nationally inflated scores. National champion inflation occurs in many countries.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Is the moon made of cheese?

vCash
    Chan is underscored in both GOE and PCS. Gettting the scores he deserves he would have an even bigger mistake on the field than he has now. He was robbed of winning the Grand Prix final this year too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYScorp6 View Post
    YES, without a doubt.
    If a similar result occurs at the 2014 Olympic games I predict a huge uproar putting the 2002 Pairs event/result to shame. Figure skating will have zero credibility as a sport.
    If the judges keep following the rules and no case of corruption is reported like in 2002, why would there be any scandal? Well, I hope there won't be any because a new scandal in the men's event after Lysacek's win in 2010 wouldn't be good for the sport.

Enough that the ISU used the 2002 scandal as an excuse to change the scoring system so that the North-American skaters could win a few titles and medals.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

Enough that the ISU used the 2002 scandal as an excuse to change the scoring system so that the North-American skaters could win a few titles and medals.
    Well, if we're going to paint it like that, then one can turn that around and say that you can't blame them for that since the older scoring system was obviously used to prop non-North American skaters for decades without having to defend their scores. The North American federations ended up changing the institution in their favor. That is of course, if you want to go with that argument.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If the judges keep following the rules and no case of corruption is reported like in 2002, why would there be any scandal?
    Not scandal on the same level as in 2002.

But if the results don't match what fans and commentators who have their own opinions of what the rules should be or how the existing rules should be applied, there will be outrage. And if the commentators get outraged, the casual viewers and the mainstream press in that country will as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast