vCash

Has IJS been good for Synchro?

I had an interesting thought (yeah amazing I know).

I have never been a fan of Synchro skating. Granted I have never really seen a lot of it until the last few years when there are a lot more clips around so you get the opportunity to see more. It is also brings a lot of skaters into the sport.

However I have developed an appreciation of it, and I think much of it is to do with what IJS is asking of Synchro teams these days. It seems to be leading to a better quality of skating skills and a lot more in the way of creativity.

I would be interested in what others think.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't think the IJS has developed them as far as skating skills go.. It has however made it clearer (in a sense haha) to see where the marks come from, therefore the smart teams do exactly what the other skating genres do, they formulate their programs to get the most possible marks. It has changed their routines, not their skills in other words in my opinion.

Seeming as your from Australia as well, I will say that I think the new requirement from ISA that synchro skaters pass the same pattern tests as the single skaters do in order to compete in the higher level teams has definitely improved their overall skating skills.....

vCash
    Yes. Oh god, yes.

I have to disagree that it hasn't improved the skating skills. Watch a program from 10 years ago, and watch one from Worlds this year. The difference is incredible. The skaters are asked to be so precise in their edges now, it has forced an improvement. When I think back even to the quality of the turns that were given credit the first season I saw IJS in action (Canadians 2005), most of those turns would NEVER be given credit today.

IJS did kill some of the creative aspects of synchro for a while, but this year we saw a big improvement in that area as well, due to some restructuring of the Well Balanced Program Requirements. Though there was a big learning curve at the start, both for skaters and officials, on the whole, IJS has been nothing but positive for the development of the sport and the quality of skating.