Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Johnny Weir on Chopped: All Stars

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/cho...res/index.html

Johnny has been cast as one of 4 "celebrities" to compete on the 3rd season of Chopped: All Stars (other celebs are Laila Ali, Joey Fatone, and Judy Gold). The other groups of contestants are "Food Network vs. Cooking Channel," "Chopped Judges," and "Mega Chefs."

The winner from each group will face-off for the title of Chopped: All Stars Champion.

The series begins Sunday, April 7. Johnny's episode will air on Sunday, April 28th.

vCash
    Why isn't Brian Boitano doing this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    Why isn't Brian Boitano doing this?
    because he CAN cook! (that is to say, he has a known quality, kinda liken cheating.)

vCash
    I thought I saw Johnny on a promo. This will be, um, interesting

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks for the heads up! Love Chopped!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Fridge_Break,

I'm sorry... I forgot to thank you for posting this info.

Lanie is right, this should be really interesting.

vCash
    Bump - show is tonight at 9 pm Eastern.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Johnny has to realize that not everyone is on a low fat figure skater's diet

vCash
    Oh damn... I was going to watch it tonight and then got sidetracked. How did Johnny do?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Johnny was eliminated in the second round, one of the reasons was his portions were too small, another was he wasn't creative enough with the use of one of the ingredients.

This is the second cooking program that Johnny has been on and his cooking was praised both times but he was also criticized for making his meals too bland because he does cook fat free.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    And, he acted like a total prat when he was eliminated. He threw his apron over his head and left the stage sobbing. It was pathetic.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    And, he acted like a total prat when he was eliminated. He threw his apron over his head and left the stage sobbing. It was pathetic.

I think the sobbing was a joke.

vCash
    I missed the show, and I do enjoy watching Chopped. Really creative what these cooks come up with on the fly, and really brave of them to take on the time-limited, ingredient-limited challenges. Maybe Johnny should flex his cooking chops and offer to cater for celebrations at Sochi! Johnny is definitely a diva of many talents.

On the Chopped website, the second and third videos show highlights of the Round 4 match in which Johnny was a contestant:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-netw...eos/index.html

vCash
    Fat-free doesn't have to be bland. I'm pretty sure that herbs and spices have little or no fat content.

Re his exit, I thought that was just kind of a lame joke on his part.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Johnny had the same issues when he was on Rachel vs. Guy earlier this year. Who won that anyway? I stopped watching after Johnny was eliminated.

I like Chopped, but I hate the episodes when the contestants aren't actually chefs, like last night. I want to see what cool things real chefs can do with crazy ingredients. I don't want to see what celebrities (or lunch ladies) would make out of chicken tenders and avocado! Maybe if they gave the celebrities a whole cow's head...
    Creating drama!

vCash
    ^^ Well some of the celebrities can actually cook well, like Fatone and Laila. Obviously, Johnny can hold his own with many in the kitchen, but he's not schooled in the finer points of the culinary craft.

On the Celebrity All-Stars finale sneak preview they do have actual chefs going up against Round 4 winner, Laila Ali. One of them has also served as a Chopped judge. Laila will probably be fortunate to last the first round and blessed if she lasts the second round. One of the chefs, Sunny, clearly didn't even acknowledge Laila in the promo "fighting words" clip.

re Fatone and Laila having also appeared as contestants together on DWTS (coming in second and third respectively one season). I think Laila and Max were good enough to win it all that season. The viewers' votes carried more weight in the early seasons.

Wonder if Johnny will ever get around to being a DWTS contestant. Clearly, he's not in the running for The Bachelor.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Most Chopped competitors would pray for something as easy to combine as tenders and avocado...I remember watching one episode and saying to my brother "Those dessert-basket ingredients actually kinda sound like they're for desserts..." "Wow, the producers are really slipping."

The 'finer points' of culinary work that would save your butt in this kind of situation have less to do with actual cooking than being more used to high-speed organized work in the kitchen, plus slightly increased odds of having run into some of the more out-there produce and proteins. But considering the time limits, there's only so much you can do (even a half-hour is nasty when they give you a huge cut of protein, plus with dessert unless they give extra time you can pretty much not bake anything and have it be done besides really thin cookies.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    On the Celebrity All-Stars finale sneak preview they do have actual chefs going up against Round 4 winner, Laila Ali. One of them has also served as a Chopped judge. Laila will probably be fortunate to last the first round and blessed if she lasts the second round. One of the chefs, Sunny, clearly didn't even acknowledge Laila in the promo "fighting words" clip.
    I know that. I actually like the series of shows where celebrity chefs compete against each other for charity. This isn't the first time they've done that on Chopped, but I don't ever recall one of the qualification rounds being plain ole celebrities, as opposed to celebrity chefs. I have no interest in watching Laila Ali compete against the other finalists. I might as well skip the appetizer round because we all know who'll be eliminated. It would have been cool for round 4 to take non-celebrity chefs (e.g., previous Chopped winners) and have them compete for a shot in the finale against the celebrity chefs.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    He was totally joking but Johnny had to be upset at not winning money for his charity for the second time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    It would have been cool for round 4 to take non-celebrity chefs (e.g., previous Chopped winners) and have them compete for a shot in the finale against the celebrity chefs.
    This, or simply have a celebrity tournament instead. The celebrities were clearly in over their heads going against those who have culinary careers. They were a fun addition, though, I will say. The series is popular enough that a celebrity tournament wouldn't hurt it's image, plus it'd be a series that wouldn't require a massive time commitment a la DWTS or the Apprentice or even the Rachel vs. Guy show that Johnny was on a few months ago. I bet they'd be able to round up a pretty decent group of celebrity chefs to play for charity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast