Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I'm glad some are happy, as we aren't in this house. As good as Amanda and Scott were, they were pretty much a one trick pony thanks to the twist. Which was and is an amazing achievement, don't get me wrong, but it just seemed the rest of the program suffered a wee bit just due to having to concerate on that twist. Mom said to me a month ago they were in danger of becoming a one trick pony and I think that's what ended up happening.
    Although I said I'd be happy with whoever won I have to say I agree with the above. I don't recall Scott doing one piece of footwork in the whole competition. Jason did that and amazing lifts as well. I would have put A and S third but they were consistent and had the big trick which is what seems to win the competition (see Craig (jumps) and Jamie)

How well the male skates doesn't seem to matter if he makes an interesting pedestal which according to David P ain't as difficult. A and S in my opinion were the least interesting pair of the three as Scott basically did the same thing in every performance. I think they weren't the judges favourites as they kept saying they wanted more performance and footwork from Scott but they kept hiding his weakness by the tricks. (the Theo Fleury effect)

I would love to think had they not made mistakes Grant and Sinead would have won but Shae and Patrice didn't win either so it doesn't seem to matter how well you dance or move your feet.

One thing about the show is that the producers tweak the competition and seeing as the dancers seem so popular and yet the pairs always win, I think you'll see some changes next time round.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-18-2013 at 02:04 AM.

vCash
    I have to say that Sinead & Grant were my favourites throughout, but it really was hard to pick a favourite as they were all so good. I thoroughly enjoyed the season.
    Though I thought at the end Ron McLean said something about BOTB being back in two weeks for some kind of special episode?
    I hope we see a season 5 next year.

vCash
    Amanda and Scott deserved the win. I loved seeing them every week.

Ice dancers have made up 2 of the final 3 pairs a couple times, so they wound up splitting the vote (1st and 3rd seasons). I'd say that happened to some degree this year, as Violetta and Jason seemed more comparable to Marie France and Mattieu. It's sad they latter placed third, but I know I kept missing how talented Mattieu was, because he was just so damn entertaining.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I liked Sinead and Grant the most too but the consistent errors undid them. Also, their Olympic program was the weakest of the bunch.

Amongst the top 3, Amanda and Scott were my clear favourite. I liked their chemistry and their 3twist was really, really impressive. And not just in a "wow, they did it!" kinda way. It was really well done.

vCash
    I don't want to belabour this and I'll shut up after this about it, but beside the twist what did Scott do? He wasn't entertaining like Matt or attempted footwork like Jason. Grant had all that but lacked Scott's consistency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    Ron McLean said something about BOTB being back in two weeks for some kind of special episode
    Maybe it will be another After the Ice Melts

vCash
    Seeing as the show format is always changing how about a ReBattle of the Blades. Bring back some of the favourite couples (non winners). Of course, you couldn't because of people's schedules but it would be kinda neat. Shae and Patrice, Izzy and Todd, Tanith and Boyd, Grant and Sinead. Those guys were some of the best skaters through the years and personally I prefer watching that than a skating pedestal.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Ron implied that they would be showing some of the best/most exciting moments and I think he mentioned some behind-the-scenes stuff too.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Sinead and Grant were my faves as well but 'Olympic Week' was there downfall. I am happy for Amanda and Scott they both seem like great people and I really enjoyed them and this whole season in general. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, it's for charity, that's what matters.

vCash
    This has been won every year now by pairs skaters... I am not saying that Scott and Amanda weren't great, but until the producers bring this down to a final two, rather than three teams, it will continue to happen. The ice dancing fans end up splitting their vote every year - too bad. I would expect that they are all tired of it themselves. As well, I have to say that if they opened this up to speed skaters rather than NHL'rs they woud lose more than half their audience, me included. Ever since BOTB started and I found this board, I have read it religiously, to help me understand the figure skating part (not stalking, I promise ) I have learned so much from all of you, but definitely came to this show as a hockey fan. I can now see the sublety of edges and twizzles, lol and want more. Thank you all for your open discussions.

vCash
    I don't think the voting was entirely about skating. People voted for the charity the skaters supported. The normal tv audience doesn't know the difference between pairs and dance, or whether the man was doing footwork. But if the team was skating to win money for a known charity the votes would be greater.

vCash
    I loved all three of the final teams but I was rooting for Amanda and Scott because I think the triple twist set them apart. I never expected to see a triple twist on this show. There are some senior competitive teams that don't have that move, never mind one done as well as Amanda and Scott did theirs. I was watching the men only number tonight and in my opinion, Scott seemed the most smooth and sure on his feet. I don't think it's fair to say he was just a pedestal. Yes, Mathieu may have been a more outgoing performer, and Grant was fantastic too, I think they all were, but the twist set the bar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    but the twist set the bar.
    Which is unfortunate that one move could win a competition

vCash
    A bit disappointed that Marie France didn't win, on her third try. Have to say that the win by Amanda & Scott surprised me...except for the twist, I didn't find their programs to be as exciting or entertaining as some of the other teams. But good for them. When it came down to the final 3, I figured that Violetta & Jason had a good shot at winning - the Pink Panther program was fantastic.

Really irritated by Ron MacLean referring to the Governor General as "David" (more than once) and mispronouncing his surname as "Johnson", instead of "Johnston". The guy's (supposed to be)a professional announcer with a teleprompter - cripes, show some respect.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snobben2345 View Post
    A bit disappointed that Marie France didn't win, on her third try. Have to say that the win by Amanda & Scott surprised me...except for the twist, I didn't find their programs to be as exciting or entertaining as some of the other teams. But good for them. When it came down to the final 3, I figured that Violetta & Jason had a good shot at winning - the Pink Panther program was fantastic.

Really irritated by Ron MacLean referring to the Governor General as "David" (more than once) and mispronouncing his surname as "Johnson", instead of "Johnston". The guy's (supposed to be)a professional announcer with a teleprompter - cripes, show some respect.
    Anyone else and I'd agree w/you, but Ron and, ahem, His Excellency The Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, are long time and very good friends. I'm sure the last person having a problem w/Ron calling him only "David" is The Govenor General himself. You only have to see the man in action to realize the last thing he cares about is stuffy protocol when it really isn't needed.

I would also think trying to get the word out about one amazing idea his friend has, is showing incredable respect to the Governor General, regardless of how he was identified on air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Which is unfortunate that one move could win a competition
    Don't tell that to plushenko

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Seeing as the show format is always changing how about a ReBattle of the Blades. Bring back some of the favourite couples (non winners). Of course, you couldn't because of people's schedules but it would be kinda neat. Shae and Patrice, Izzy and Todd, Tanith and Boyd, Grant and Sinead. Those guys were some of the best skaters through the years and personally I prefer watching that than a skating pedestal.
    I really like this idea. They did this on DWTS and people did not seem to enjoy it although I loved it. I wonder when we'll know if season 5 is a go.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Voting on Battle of the Blades can be because of how the team skated; where one or both of the team members is from; which charity one or both of the team members is supporting; or some other factor, known only to the voter.

I've talked to a number of people who would have been happy for any one of the final three to have won last night - they saw them each as unique and excellent. I was pretty much in the same boat.

My "sentimental" favourite was Marie-France & Mathieu and I was impressed with the wide diversity of programs they showed throughout the series. The neighbour who watched with me last night was pulling for Violetta & Jason and she remarked particularly on their Pink Panther routine.

I was not surprised by the outcome, however.

Amanda would not have come to the show with an established fan base across Canada but she and Scott showed themselves to be excellent pair skaters who did exciting "tricks" that would have impressed non-skating fans. Only very knowledgeable fans would have checked out the footwork and there they might have found Scott less accomplished than Grant, for example. The latter didn't make it to the final, however. As a pair Amanda & Scott both supported a well-known charity which brings with it a lot of built-in emotional support (the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation). This alone could have encouraged quite a bit of voter support, perhaps even of an organized variety.

I hope that we may see some background "stuff" that we haven't yet seen in the show in two weeks. With the one night a week format we missed out on seeing some of the coaching/choreography moments of the past.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Count me in as another who thinks that the dancers are on the short end of the stick. It seems that the winner on this show are always about the pairs tricks and thus it's always a couple who have a pairs skater as the figure skater that wins. Dancers, in general, cannot do those big tricks and so for regular type viewers, it likely doesn't come across that what the dancers are doing is every bit as difficult as what the pairs are doing -- sometimes the dancers are getting their partner to do things the pairs skaters could only wish they could get their partner to do. Yet time and again, the dancers are getting glossed over in favour of the athletic tricks.

If I'm a dancer, I'd probably give a pass on the next season and perhaps put a bug in "someone's" ear that perhaps it might be nice to have pairs skaters one season and then dance skaters another season? That way you have judges and fans (who do determine the winner) comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Just a thought.
    Crazy about sports!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I haven't watched much this year, but did they try to explain the differences between dance and pairs at all? Point out the difficulty of footwork, holds, changes in direction, unison, etc?

Casual fans will always be wowed by showy moves, not to mention things like music they recognize/like, pretty costumes, etc - which is fine for something like this that's supposed to be showy and fun, but at the same time if they are going to put ice dancers through this then I think they need to do some audience education so that their achievements are also applauded and rewarded.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast