Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    In the current times of so many hockey teams in the NHL, of many teams located outside of Canada (and not playing in Canada that many times per season), and of many non-Canadian players, I'm guessing one would be hard pressed to find well-known former players with name/face recognition beyond the most rabid Canadian hockey fans.

Hockey per se continues to be popular but there seem to be fewer "stars", especially after they retire.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    True. I was a more avid hockey fan during the 6 team era. Once the number of teams increased, hockey seemed to have become more watered-down for me. I don't watch as much as I did back then. Too many teams and players to track...fewer memorable names. Although, Sidney Crosby may stick in the memory of Canadians for obvious reasons .
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-15-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Especially Nova Scotians

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Ah, I remember Mario Lemieux from the era when there were only six teams. Players like Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, and of course we still hear of Tim Horton. Alas, you will not see some of these names on BOTB unless they can drive around lifting the ladies with forklifts.
    Mario wasn't even born when there were six teams and most of the guys aside from Hull and Horton had their heydays in the 70s long after the original six (ended 1966-67).

Who was it here who suggested Jean Ratelle? He would have been a great fit for BOTB, problem is, he's 73 years old

vCash
    I knew who Claude Lemieux was because he's usually been cursed about by friends and family. I think he played in to that Domi/etc. aspect of tough, mean players that were putting on satin shirts. But Claude took it a step further than Tie Domi and Bob Probert, because he proved REALLY talented. I knew a few hockey fanatics who tuned in out of shock to see "The Pest" be so... not pest-like.

Even though this year didn't have the name-draws that the first season (and second to a lesser extent) did, I have to say it's been fun to get to know the hockey players. BOTB seemed to at least get good characters that have been just a tonne of fun to watch. Amanda and Scott haven't been fun because he's famous, but because he's fun to watch on ice and seems interesting in the fluff pieces. Maybe it's just me, but I found that sort of lacking in the third season. Or maybe Tessa just stole the show-- she had more personality than Elena, Tanith and Violetta's (young and talented) partners combined. I've simply found this year more engaging, but maybe I'm just reaching.

Count me in as team Amanda & Scott, and also wrong about the influx of American/international girls this year. The only skater I don't want to come back is Jessica Dube. Amanda & Sinead have been a real treat!
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Count me in as team Amanda & Scott, and also wrong about the influx of American/international girls this year. The only skater I don't want to come back is Jessica Dube. Amanda & Sinead have been a real treat!
    Amanda and Sinead both did great jobs. At times Jessica Dube was painful to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Mario wasn't even born when there were six teams and most of the guys aside from Hull and Horton had their heydays in the 70s long after the original six (ended 1966-67).

Sorry, I must have been thinking of Laperriere. Although the name Mario Lemieux does ring a bell in my mind from the days of yore.

When I listed examples of various known hockey players of the past, I didn't mean to imply they all played during the 6 team era. Although some did. Laperriere, Cournoyer, and Savard were part of the 1967 Montreal Canadiens team which competed against the Toronto Maple Leafs (which included Tim Horton and Eddie Shack) in what some people consider to be some of the best hockey games ever played. It was also the last time the Toronto Maple leafs won the Stanley cup, or even reached the finals. It will be a riot on Yonge street if they ever do it again.
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-15-2013 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    ...The only skater I don't want to come back is Jessica Dube...
    During one of the background pieces, Jessica mentioned she was somewhat shy. I guess that is why she doesn't show more emotion when skating. Like Oksana and Vlad, I found Jessica and Brian's routines to be basically formal figure skating. They stayed as long as they did because of huge fan support. They were the only team this season to be voted out of the bottom two.

vCash
    Can some kind FSU'er give us updates as the finale plays out tonight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    BOTB is different from other reality competition shows in that the contestants basically come from the same subset of celebrity--athletics. Even more specifically, hockey. Even more specifically, men's hockey. Even more specifically, retired men's hockey players. You don't get the same level of diversity that you see on the other shows (good or bad).

It's not just personality (although it is that - after awhile, the sincerity and earnestness can be rather mindnumbing), it's also the style of skating. For the most part, the skaters have the same strengths and weaknesses--it's more a matter of degree of those strengths and weaknesses.

I would probably be more interested in seeing other skaters besides hockey players, like speed skaters or short-track skaters.
    That is an interesting idea. We certainly have some well-known skaters in both in this country.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Sorry, I'm watching tonight with a friend/neighbour so I won't be at the computer, as usual. I will try to post something later if no one steps up

vCash
    Sinead and Grant were robbed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Amanda and Sinead both did great jobs. At times Jessica Dube was painful to watch.
    amanda was quite amazing- i was so impressed with her and her partner- reminded me of katia and valerie a few season ago...... katia takes these comps above and beyond- her work with igor and val was more exciting to me to watch than 80% of the ametuer competitors
    jessica seemed untrained and like a silly school girl next to the others- it was painful to see

vCash
    Marie France and Mathieu finish third. Didn't expect that.

vCash
    Not sure if ice dancers are ever going to be able to compete with pair tricks. Especially as impressive as Amanda and Scott's were this season (huge kudos and will be happy should they win).

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    Voted for Sinead & Grant for as long as they lasted, then had to decide between Marie France & Mat or Amanda & Scott. Went with Amanda because getting to a triple twist is amazing, so with MF apparently out ↑ I hope that they win.

Also really hope that they get Sinead back if there is another season (and Shae Lynn too, of course, whenever she's available).

vCash
    Amanda and Scott win! Aww Amanda is adorable with her speech!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    OMG!!!! I am SOOOOO happy for Amanda & Scott!!! I can't believe they won!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I'm glad some are happy, as we aren't in this house. As good as Amanda and Scott were, they were pretty much a one trick pony thanks to the twist. Which was and is an amazing achievement, don't get me wrong, but it just seemed the rest of the program suffered a wee bit just due to having to concerate on that twist. Mom said to me a month ago they were in danger of becoming a one trick pony and I think that's what ended up happening.

Combine that w/how tight they were IMO last week and...Yeah.

I just wish they'd gone down the road Sinead and Grant took w/her lifting him. Amazing, yes. Cool, yes. However it wasn't every program and we got to see what else they could do. If Amanda and Scott had done that w/the twist, I think I'd be feeling a bit differently w/tonight's end result.

And I like Amanda and Scott too darn it!!

Did anyone notice Shae-Lynn's shirt for World Vision? Boy, do they need all the help they can get right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I'm glad some are happy, as we aren't in this house. As good as Amanda and Scott were, they were pretty much a one trick pony thanks to the twist. Which was and is an amazing achievement, don't get me wrong, but it just seemed the rest of the program suffered a wee bit just due to having to concerate on that twist. Mom said to me a month ago they were in danger of becoming a one trick pony and I think that's what ended up happening.

Combine that w/how tight they were IMO last week and...Yeah.

I just wish they'd gone down the road Sinead and Grant took w/her lifting him. Amazing, yes. Cool, yes. However it wasn't every program and we got to see what else they could do. If Amanda and Scott had done that w/the twist, I think I'd be feeling a bit differently w/tonight's end result.

And I like Amanda and Scott too darn it!!

Did anyone notice Shae-Lynn's shirt for World Vision? Boy, do they need all the help they can get right now.
    Whatever- I enjoyed all their performances and thought they were a team that melded well together. Can't please everyone all the time.

Congratulations to Amanda and Scott on a much deserved win.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast