Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Sad about Oksana and Vlad as well, but I agree that performance this week was lacking. As soon a they said M-F and Mat were skating to Psy I knew it was over. Loved that performance as well as Violetta & Jason and Sinead & Grant, despite his fall he just looks like he's so in to this and really trying hard, love to see that. Really enjoyed Amanda and Scott too. Shae and Anson were a bit disappointing, the judges are right when they say Shae over shadows Anson, he needs to step it up cause I really want Shae to win.

vCash
    Thought Oksana and Vlad were unfairly booted. I remember hearing the comments/attitude of the judges towards them from the beginning of the season and knew they would not last long. As soon as I saw it was Marie-France in the skate off I knew Oksana would go, without even seeing the final skate.

Can I say I really dislike jaime as a judge? I only watch the skating and then the marks, I mute the comments.

vCash

CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Sad about Oksana and Vlad as well, but I agree that performance this week was lacking.
    Agree.

Last week they landed a single axel throw, but this week it appeared to be a single flip throw which IMO came across as less impressive. They did add the 1/2 twist, but that was overshadowed by Amanda and Scott's earlier twist which the judges had raved over. Their performance was also not as upbeat/energetic as many of the other couples, which may have had a negative impact. As Jaime mentioned, they were out of sync (during their side-by-side twirling), and overall (since the onset of BOTB) Vlad appears to be less expressive than most of the other hockey players by comparison. Many of the other hockey players seem to be more into the performance aspects. Vlad tends to be more formal.

Anson has his work cut out for him. Jamie mentions he needs to appear bigger. Perhaps more than the other hockey players, considering his partner is Shae.

I was surprised Marie-France and Mathieu were in the bottom two. They were scored at 17.0 by the end of last weeks show (3rd from the top). I guess many voters were trying to save Jessica/Brian who were at the bottom ...anything can happen.

P.S. Did anyone spot Piper & Paul in the audience?

ETA: Near the start of Amanda & Scott's performance, he is on his knees while lifting Amanda above his head, then throws her backward. The next camera angle shows them rising to begin their side-by-side in-line step sequence. If you watch the first row of the audience between Amanda and Scott, you will see Piper and Paul.
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-15-2013 at 12:14 AM.

vCash
    Facebook pages:

Marie-France and Mathieu: https://www.facebook.com/DubreuilDandenaultBOTB
    Amanda and Scott: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...ed_target_id=0

I also found some performances from week 2 and 3, but it looks like nobody is posting the show in its entirity.

Violetta and Jason 2nd routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZNU..._7lszeRbSuYM8w

Oksana and Vladimir 2nd routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08_k...gy7-NxIJ850apQ
    Oksana and Vladimir 3rd and last routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv4vk...0jZg31SCkSFV2g

Amanda and Scott 2nd routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJbsDzbATHo
    Amanda and Scott 3rd routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXn1CW6NDA8

vCash
    Sinead & Grant are amazing. Is he the only one doing back cross overs? Or is it just that his look the best, and come closest to being in sync with his partner? Plus he did a spread eagle, plus, plus, plus. I hope they go far! Amanda Evora is also a revelation with her partner! I don't mind being wrong about her being on the show.

Marie France is getting a little bit boring, though. I just have ridiculous expectations I think.

Really digging the show this year, and am sad to lose Oksana and Vladimir. He brought the sexy.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash

The problem with Oksana and Vladimir was their routines tending to be too similar ie. formal figure skating. Although better appreciated by avid Figure Skating fans, it is lost on Hockey and Casual FS fans. That group is typically more interested in big tricks and entertaining fun routines. Big tricks for Oksana would be limited by what Vlad can safely perform. Also, "been there, done that" by other couples may negate the wow factor of what Oksana/Vlad may perform. A perfect example of that situation is Amanda and Scott's twist overshadowing Oksana and Vlad's.

Unfortunately both Vlad and Oksana have somewhat formal personalities, which limits their range of potential performances. I can't imagine either stepping out of the "formal" box and doing the Gangnam. I think that may be what Kurt meant when he said they had the same theme for the three competition nights, and when he indicated they had reached a plateau. Oksana and Vlad had little chance against Marie-France and Mathieu's more crowd pleasing foot-tapping entertainment oriented Psy Gangnam routine.
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-18-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    First off...Jamie wasn't the only one raving about Amanda and Scott's twist, as I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that thing. Not only was it National Level, but did anyone else notice Amanda's arms were up the entire time during it and she didn't take Scott's hand again until the exit. For a team made up only a couple of months ago and the man not having any Figure Skating experience before this...Just...WOW!!!

Then came along Sinead and Grant and kudos to Grant for wearing the kilt. Yes, we all know for a Scottish themed program it's the proper costume, but there are still many out there sadly who only saw "a male figure skater in a skirt and..." I said back in the day John wearing the kilt for their Scottish OD was one of the bravest things I've seen a male skater wear out there. He's now got Grant in the same category IMHO.

Then came that footwork and I literally gasped out loud at what Sinead had Grant doing footwork wise. That was sooo great and then...Damn toe picks. Regardless, they and Violetta and Jason are the front runners in this house going into this week. Both teams have been both amazing and really entertaining to watch too.

As sad as I was to see Oksana and Vlad go, Kurt was right, they had plateaued as far as what they could and through no fault of their own either. W/all of the various plates, screws and other Medical Metal keeping the respective body parts together after the surgical repairs done to them, Vlad was going to be pretty restricted w/what he was capable of doing to begin w/and I think they ended up going as far in this as they were going to go sadly. I really liked him too and it was lovely to see Oksana back out there as well. Just...Sigh.

I have a bad feeling Jessica and Brian will be next to go. As a fellow Sudbarian, I *hate* saying that, but I also can see they aren't at the same level as the others. I also wish Brian was w/someone else for a partner, as all the issues we've hashed over the years when it comes to Jessica and her ability, and/or lack of, to show more than one kind of emotion out there is even more obvious now IMO.

I hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am. We'll see Sunday night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    ...Is he the only one doing back cross overs? Or is it just that his look the best, and come closest to being in sync with his partner?
    They have all performed backward crossovers in one or more of the episodes so far. Some of the Hockey players may have had an advantage in that area because they are defensemen who are accustomed to skating backwards (although not necessarily crossovers). eg. Jason Strudwick (Violetta's partner), Mathieu Dandenault (Marie-France's partner), and Vladimir Malakhov (Oksana's partner).
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-18-2013 at 05:31 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    ?..I have a bad feeling Jessica and Brian will be next to go. As a fellow Sudbarian, I *hate* saying that, but I also can see they aren't at the same level as the others. I also wish Brian was w/someone else for a partner, as all the issues we've hashed over the years when it comes to Jessica and her ability, and/or lack of, to show more than one kind of emotion out there is even more obvious now IMO.

I hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am. We'll see Sunday night.
    That is my feeling also. However, in the previous week the judges had them at the bottom with Oksana/Vlad. Yet voters saved them, and pushed Marie-France/Mathieu into the bottom two instead. So, who knows what may happen. If two of the top teams get pushed into the bottom two instead, perhaps the judges may be forced to use that "Save".

P.S. Although I don't live there now, I was born and raised in Sudbury also.
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-18-2013 at 05:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    That is my feeling also. However, in the previous week the judges had them at the bottom with Oksana/Vlad. Yet voters saved them, and pushed Marie-France/Mathieu into the bottom two instead. So, who knows what may happen. If two of the top teams get pushed into the bottom two instead, perhaps the judges may be forced to use that "Save".

P.S. Although I don't live there now, I was born and raised in Sudbury also.
    Maybe it's due the fact that they allowed international voting last week (don't know about this week, nobody mentioned it)? Brian now lives in Scottsdale, Arizona, and he seems to have a strong following both in Sudbury and in Scottsdale. I don't reallly understand why the producers are allowing international votes, I don't think it's fair that people that can't watch the show can influence on the outcome.

Also, Jessica and Brian had a fall, which might have prompted their fans to vote more, whereas people might have asusmed that MF and Mathieu would be safe because they had a good skate and good marks. I agree that based on their overall skating and performance ability, Jessica and Brian should be next to go.

In season 3, they used the save on the third performance show (to save Anabelle and Brad, who were elimated the following week), so there is a good chance they will use it this week.
    Last edited by Alvyne; 10-18-2013 at 11:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvyne View Post
    I don't reallly understand why the producers are allowing international votes, I don't think it's fair that people that can't watch the show can influence on the outcome.
    Perhaps with the new voting structure, there were fewer people willing to jump through hoops to get votes. Hence they needed to expand the voting population to compensate.

Without being able to see the performances, international voters would need to vote based on favorites only. Since it takes time to record BOTB into digital format, edit out the commercials, and upload the video onto Youtube, it is less likely international voters could view BOTB on Youtube before the Tuesday voting deadline. Assuming someone is even willing to make the effort to upload.

I suspect geoblocking may be a decision controlled by CBC, and not necessarily BOTB producers. But I could be wrong. Certainly CBC would want to sell their programming to cable companies in the USA, which would be less likely if the shows are available free online. Still, as far as I know CBC does not appear to be making a serious effort to patrol Youtube for copyrighted uploads of BOTB.

Also, Jessica and Brian had a fall, which might have prompted their fans to vote more, whereas people might have asusmed that MF and Mathieu would be safe because they had a good skate and good marks.
    That was also my suspicion. After seeing what happened last Sunday, voters may become more cautious about how they distribute their votes.
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Sinead and Grant are the one's to beat now, I think. He just looks like he loves what he is doing out there and puts everything into it, but also love what Violetta and her partner are putting on the ice. Maybe this is the year of the ice dancer? (or adaggio)

vCash
    Sinead and Grant do seem popular with the judges. Historically, BOTB beyond season 1 has always been won by a guest as opposed to a regular. However, this year Violetta and Jason have also been doing very well. If I am not mistaken, aren't they the only team who have yet to drop below 17.0 after the judges voting? Shae and Anson have been up and down. We know Shae always gives it 100%, so Anson will be the make-or-break deciding factor.

P.S. According to a video clip, Amanda and Scott are planning to performing a throw double lutz this week. They seemed to be landing it OK in the video.
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    BOTB has so far always been won by a pair skating team.. and yes that's what I thought about Amanda and Scott as well. Shae and Anson were outstanding in their first routine and I think will have to do something equally strong, just to match that. I also think that everyone is expecting too much from Shae and Marie-France - because we all know now what they can do. That's why I think the hockey players will have to do something exceptional, themselves, for the pair to stand out. Just my thoughts on it.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Sinead and Grant do seem popular with the judges. Historically, BOTB beyond season 1 has always been won by a guest as opposed to a regular. However, this year Violetta and Jason have also been doing very well. If I am not mistaken, aren't they the only team who have yet to drop below 17.0 after the judges voting? Shae and Anson have been up and down. We know Shae always gives it 100%, so Anson will be the make-or-break deciding factor.

P.S. According to a video clip, Amanda and Scott are planning to performing a throw double lutz this week. They seemed to be landing it OK in the video.
    They got 16.6 the first week. I agree that Sinead and Grant and Violetta and Jason seem to be the front runners at this point. But in every season she's been in, both the judges and the public seemed to be in love with Violetta, but she never made it past the 4th week, and the reason I think is that her programs tend to be too similar, fun happy up beat numbers with great lifts, and I guess that after a few weeks people want to see more. Maybe it will be different this year. Still rooting for Shae Lynn to finally win, but it's looking doubtful unless Anson gets better.

vCash
    The second performance show has been posted, but the first part is not available due to copyright.

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8orB...ShVtXyZZ9mwJFQ
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68vC...ShVtXyZZ9mwJFQ

vCash

?..But in every season she's been in, both the judges and the public seemed to be in love with Violetta, but she never made it past the 4th week, and the reason I think is that her programs tend to be too similar, fun happy up beat numbers with great lifts, and I guess that after a few weeks people want to see more. Maybe it will be different this year.
    True. I guess BOTB is like competition skating. You need to peak at the right time. However in competition skating, you are not at risk of being permanently eliminated after every competition if you didn't do well.

P.S. Last weeks episode will be replayed on Sunday at 4:00pm EST

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    The second performance show has been posted, but the first part is not available due to copyright.

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8orB...ShVtXyZZ9mwJFQ
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68vC...ShVtXyZZ9mwJFQ
    Thank you so much Much appreciated!

Found the link to part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rAa...ShVtXyZZ9mwJFQ
    Last edited by alilou; 10-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Totally shocked by the bottom two tonight. Makes no sense to me, but perhaps the judges will use the save.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast