Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash

It's entertaining, I get to watch some of my favourite figure skaters, I get to watch Kurt, some charities make some money, some charities get publicity, it kills an hour on a Sunday night. Do I care how much money each skater gets?

vCash
    Is it supposed to be a BAD thing that they get paid? People do jobs and they get paid. Some jobs have perks or benefits and in some cases - such as this one - one of the extra "benefits" is that money is donated to a charity they support AND that charity gets publicity. I just don't get what is supposed to be wrong with the participants getting paid. They work hard and their time is taken up where they might otherwise be making money.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that the way to deal with this awful inconsistency is to remove the charity aspect of the show. Too bad, hungry children!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    A plea for episode 3 to be on youtube

Anyone?

Eternally grateful.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the way to deal with this awful inconsistency is to remove the charity aspect of the show. Too bad, hungry children!
    Seriously, I mean would this make everyone feel better? Who cares if they get paid, alot, a little? Why wouldn't they? Do you really expect them to do it for free? 'Celebrities' on DWTS get paid at least on BOTB they give back. I mean really what's the deal?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Something tells me the amount the hockey players are paid, doesn't even come close to the fees paid for the music rights so the teams have music to actually skate to. These guys are giving up weeks w/their new jobs they now have post NHL and also time w/their Families. Same w/the Skaters, who are now coaching or choreographers for various clubs/skaters. I'm sure Marie-France is wondering how that Spanish Dance team she and Patrice coach are doing, not to mention what kind of a hit not working w/them as usual will hit their bank account.

Of course they're getting paid to do this show and I think many of us realized that year one of the show. However, for someone to come in and state the Hockey Players are being paid really large sums of money is rather laughable because...

1 ~ This is a CBC show and on a network that ends up getting it's budget slashed by the Harper Govt every year and was the reason why we're getting Season Four now, instead of last year. Remember, the CBC wasn't able to afford the the music rights fees for both BOTB *and* Over The Rainbow last year, so something had to give. That was BOTB. Now if they couldn't do both shows due to the incredible high fees for music last season, how can a cash strapped CBC afford Season Four if your "claims" are true?

So...Only one thing left to say really.

2 ~ Nice try at attempting to stir things up. Better luck next time.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ildah View Post
    I'm assuming the people wondering how they get the hockey players to make such a huge commitment of time (and potential embarassment) might not realize that the participants are paid HUGE money..it's a closely guarded secret how much. That's why the show is so expensive. There's a large base salary and then every week that a couple makes it through, they get more money. All the hockey players give the line about not wanting to do it until they realize it's for charity, that sounds very magnanimous but you are talking about guys making a massive 4 months commitment of training and then the show which lasts until November. And I'm not talking about somebody being paid 40 or 50 thousand dollars to join the show...we're talking waaay more money than that. The final 2 couples probably make $100,000 each at the least. I'm betting more. I think the figure skaters might be paid on a different scale from the hockey players, who have lots more to lose (dignity etc !!) but the hockey players definitely get a pile of money, cause without them, there's no show.
    So what.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Anyone else thinking Shae and Anson's music tonite will be reggae (SP) Would love to see them skate to 'Stir it up"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by badskater62 View Post
    Anyone else thinking Shae and Anson's music tonite will be reggae (SP) Would love to see them skate to 'Stir it up"
    I think it's African based on the picture posted on Facebook.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    In the skate-off this week - Oksana & Vladimir (again) and Marie-France & Mathieu.

Theme - international beats.

Judging focus is on footwork tonight.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Skating supporter
    vCash
    First to skate - Amanda & Scott - Japanese drums - 17.1
    Next - Shae-Lynn & Anson - Miriam Makeba (sp?) - 16.7 (Jamie actually demonstrated something on the ice as part of her commentary)
    Next - Violetta & Jason - Russian courting song - 17.4
    Next - Jessica & Brian - Lady Gaga Alejandro (?) - 16.7
    Next - Sinead & Grant - Ashley McIsaac fiddle music - Grant (in a kilt) had a small fall in really hard footwork - 16.8

Next up are the bottom two for the skate-off. First off, Oksana & Vladimir - Russian song (I think) - 16.7
    Finally - Marie-France & Mathieu - Gentleman by the Korean pop star Psy (sp?) - 17.3

No save tonight. Eliminated are Oksana & Vladimir.
    Last edited by victorskid; 10-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.

vCash
    I think Oksana and Vlad were robbed tonite - pretty sure they are going home...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by badskater62 View Post
    I think Oksana and Vlad were robbed tonite - pretty sure they are going home...
    The song didn't do them any favours, and they didn't have a lot of footwork.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    I know - just disappointed

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    In a week when the judges were to focus on footwork, I agree. From the skate-off, Marie France & Mathieu went almost to the top of the leader board!

Next week it's Canadian music - there were 3 choices available for each couple and voting was done online during this past week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post

It's entertaining, I get to watch some of my favourite figure skaters, I get to watch Kurt, some charities make some money, some charities get publicity, it kills an hour on a Sunday night. Do I care how much money each skater gets?
    Agreed. Beyond that, it is very clear that the hockey players are putting in a lot of time & effort. I don't consider it unreasonable that they get paid for their time.

vCash
    Loved Sinead & Grant tonight, felt really bad for Oksana and Vladimir. How awful to think that you just got rejected by all the voters after all the hard work you put in. I guess I'm not super competitive. Not thrilled that Jamie gave the same score as Kurt for every couple. Show some originality. PJ's comments were really interesting and quite thoughtful.

vCash
    Very sorry to see Oksana and Vladimir go and disagree about them having plateaud (sp?) After all they did add a throw twist. My surprise hit team is Sinead as Jason though, was so impressed with his foot work before he fell.

vCash
    Totally loved the footwork attempt by Jason. He WAS skating with abandon -- something we didn't see a lot of tonight.

I was also sorry to see Oksana and Vladimir go this evening but it did seem they were somewhat subdued in their skating it seemed -- quiet, I think was the word I used when discussing their performance to hubby. Then you had Marie-France come out and dazzle us all with tricks AND footwork -- oh yeah, her partner didn't do too shabby either
    Crazy about sports!

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Here's the weekly blog entry/synopsis from the Calgary Herald: http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/...ir-eliminated/

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast