Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    No one is eliminated this week. Each of the final 3 couples will perform 2 programs. The winners of the Mini-blades competition are announced.

Next week, at the gala finale, the winners will be announced from the final 3. The Mini-blades winners will also be present.
    Thanks

vCash
    I've been trying to post something and it keeps saying it will be reviewed by a moderator, what's up with that. Perhaps newbs can't post anything with links?

Any howser, will be interesting to see which routine J and V recycle, will it be Pink Panther or the Russian routine. Pink Panther was more about character development but the Russian routine had that and maybe more difficult elements. Wonder which they will choose?

Just watched their Elite Syncopations again and it was very good as well but I don't think they will use it as it ventured into what might be a discomfort zone for them. I really liked the first lift they did in that routine where he lifts her up to chest level, waits, and then hoists her over his head. Quite cool.

Also just watched some mini Blades stuff. Did anyone get the feeling that Calgary Winners Jamea & Michael have got something. They were born to perform. Maybe a young Virtue and Moir in the making.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=rdavies;4044522]I've been trying to post something and it keeps saying it will be reviewed by a moderator, what's up with that. Perhaps newbs can't post anything with links?

Any howser, will be interesting to see which routine J and V recycle, will it be Pink Panther or the Russian routine. Pink Panther was more about character development but the Russian routine had that and maybe more difficult elements. Wonder which they will choose?

Just watched their Elite Syncopations again and it was very good as well but I don't think they will use it as it ventured into what might be a discomfort zone for them. I really liked the first lift they did in that routine where he lifts her up to chest level, waits, and then hoists her over his head. Quite cool.

That lift was from the program Jamie and David did for the same song. I put a link up to it earlier

vCash
    I like the programs tonight, but miss the skating skills displayed by Grant & Sinead.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Sorry I didn't do any pbp reporting this evening - I was late getting home from a funeral and reception and had to catch up on my recording.

Each team did a new number first and then they chose to repeat a previous one.

No judges scores this week. Just comments. Voting is open until Friday.

Everyone skated well and got positive comments.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    In the previous years, I had picked who I thought would win only to find later that somebody else did. This year, I would be happy with any of the final three. It may be a cliche but they are all deserving and all skated well.

I would hope that Amanda and Sinead will be invited back, don't think we'll see Jessica again. After watching the show's intro, it became clear that Marcy has been on twice and we don't know a thing about her. If she ever accepted another invite it would be nice if she lucked into a better partner (skating partner that is).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    In the previous years, I had picked who I thought would win only to find later that somebody else did. This year, I would be happy with any of the final three. It may be a cliche but they are all deserving and all skated well.

I would hope that Amanda and Sinead will be invited back, don't think we'll see Jessica again. After watching the show's intro, it became clear that Marcy has been on twice and we don't know a thing about her. If she ever accepted another invite it would be nice if she lucked into a better partner (skating partner that is).
    Agree with everything you said. I honestly have no favorite this years and would be happy to see any of them win. I too hope they will bring back Sinead and Amanda. I didn't know much about Amanda but she's been just fantastic, a revelation. No Jessica ever again please, but Marcy I hope comes back again and has a better fate as well. It's been a really enjoyable season and with all the retirements after this year maybe we'll see some fresh faces next time.

vCash
    Got my tickets for the finale! So excited!

vCash
    I voted for Amanda Evora & partner. I really think they are the class of the field this year.

vCash
    The final 3 pairs were on CBC connect today, here is the video. It starts at around the 16:00 mark with Ron Mclean

http://www.cbc.ca/live/events/cbc-co...blades-nov.-13

vCash
    While I think BOTB should strive to use Canadian skaters as they are more known to the audience, this year Sinead and Amanda endeared themselves to the viewers as does Violetta (who is now a citizen) I think if MF wins that might be the end of her as a competitor (busy schedule as coach)

Speaking of busy schedules, I'd like to see Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe get involved. But as parents of two year old toddlers and successful coaches they might be kinda busy.

If it comes back for another season, I'd like to see more emphasis put on the hockey players to skate not just be moving pedestals. Maybe they should have a Gary Beacom bootcamp.

vCash
    I wish they'd get more female hockey player/male skater pairings. I guess the women hockey players aren't "big names" who will attract viewers, but as someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey the impression I got is that this season's hockey players aren't too well-known either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    as someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey the impression I got is that this season's hockey players aren't too well-known either.
    Mathieu Dandenault won three Stanley Cups. How could he not be well known?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Mathieu Dandenault won three Stanley Cups. How could he not be well known?
    One article I read recently (that I believe was posted upthread, but I can't find it now) said something to the effect of, "compared to the big names of earlier seasons, this season's roster of hockey players hasn't sold more than 12 jerseys between them." I am going off of that as, I repeat, someone who doesn't know anything about hockey. Yet even I have heard of players like Fleury, Domi, Lemieux and Bure, but none of this season's names rang any sort of bell to me.

vCash
    One article I read recently (that I believe was posted upthread, but I can't find it now) said something to the effect of, "compared to the big names of earlier seasons, this season's roster of hockey players hasn't sold more than 12 jerseys between them." I am going off of that as, I repeat, someone who doesn't know anything about hockey. Yet even I have heard of players like Fleury, Domi, Lemieux and Bure, but none of this season's names rang any sort of bell to me.
    Undoubtedly, Lemieux, Probert and Daneyko are iconic names, but Simpson, Simpson and Hulce are not. The Bure you heard of is Pavel Bure, one of the all-time greats. Valeri Bure (Pavel's brother) was a total also ran best known for marrying a sitcom actress. I've read the criticism that this year's hockey players are lesser known, but I disagree. I think year's hiatus hit the show hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Undoubtedly, Lemieux, Probert and Daneyko are iconic names, but Simpson, Simpson and Hulce are not. The Bure you heard of is Pavel Bure, one of the all-time greats. Valeri Bure (Pavel's brother) was a total also ran best known for marrying a sitcom actress. I've read the criticism that this year's hockey players are lesser known, but I disagree. I think year's hiatus hit the show hard.
    Probably re: Bure. But I did know who Valeri's wife is :-) And I probably confused Claude Lemieux with Mario Lemieux.

vCash
    Probably re: Bure. But I did know who Valeri's wife is :-) And I probably confused Claude Lemieux with Mario Lemieux.
    Candace Cameron who was on Full House.

Claude Lemieux (who is not related to Mario) is famous in his own right. He was revered and reviled. He totally has his own fame.

vCash
    BOTB is different from other reality competition shows in that the contestants basically come from the same subset of celebrity--athletics. Even more specifically, hockey. Even more specifically, men's hockey. Even more specifically, retired men's hockey players. You don't get the same level of diversity that you see on the other shows (good or bad).

It's not just personality (although it is that - after awhile, the sincerity and earnestness can be rather mindnumbing), it's also the style of skating. For the most part, the skaters have the same strengths and weaknesses--it's more a matter of degree of those strengths and weaknesses.

I would probably be more interested in seeing other skaters besides hockey players, like speed skaters or short-track skaters.

vCash

vCash
    Ah, I remember Mario Lemieux from the era when there were only six teams. Players like Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, and of course we still hear of Tim Horton . Alas, you will not see some of these names on BOTB unless they can drive around lifting the ladies with forklifts.
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-14-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast