Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    So, it'll just be one show per week--the performances and the eliminations will take place all the same night. At first, I was confused how that would work with voting etc, but I figure in the first week everyone skates, then the next week everyone still skates and someone is eliminated at the end. When people vote, they can't vote for the eliminated skater's performance.

So, that means one extra performance. Which is fine. The elimination show was kinda boring, anyway. Given how many skaters train in the Toronto/Ontario/Detroit region, the show could've showcased a skater/team each week. But they never did that on any regular basis before, so I'm okay with no Monday night elimination episode.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Field of Play: 'The Battle' is back by Scott Russell: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...e-is-back.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Totally agree on the choice of hockey player. I'd like to see Georges Laracques(sp?).
    George would be a GREAT judge. He continued skating after the show. I believe he even did a show in Quebec with another partner?
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pp55 View Post
    I assume you want Barbara Underhill as a judge.
    She'll do if Underwood is busy.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    So glad BOTB is back! And add me to the list who'd love to see Trevor Linden on the show! I remember a story from the Nagano Olympics where he excitedly met Shae-Lynn Bourne, saying he & his wife were big fans, he'd just met Victor, etc.

vCash

CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    She'll do if Underwood is busy.
    Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Georges competed last season.
    I meant as a judge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I meant as a judge.
    Ah, my mistake.

vCash
    They definitely need to bring back Dick Button. Or have someone else who's fun, like maybe Toller Cranston or Liz Manley.

vCash
    Glad to hear this. The first couple of seasons had very strong ratings and it's a good vehicle to keep figure skating in the public eye. Also agree they should have run it during the strike, the marketing writes itself.

vCash
    IIRC Toller was a judge and he was no fun.

vCash
    Has Bret Hedican already competed? I know he isn't canadian but.. Yes Paul Kariya was a figure skater when he was younger.

vCash
    Bret Hedican was co-guest judge with Kristi once, I believe. He'd be a good person to have on and has always seemed like a very nice guy. Perhaps he's learned a few things from Kristi since they've been married, or if nothing else, be familiar with the figure skating world. Plus, he's pretty built so shouldn't have problems with lifts.

More ideas - maybe Joe Sakic or Rob Blake? And he's not retired yet or Canadian, but I'd love to see Teemu Selanne do this one day. Maybe he and Kariya could compete against each other.

vCash
    Sidney Crosby need to let his jaw heal and then give up hockey for Battle of the Blades

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Sidney Crosby need to let his jaw heal and then give up hockey for Battle of the Blades
    Ohhhhhh, wouldn’t that be something? The “battle” would be amongst the girls to see who could snag him as a partner!
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash

Talking BOTB News

CBC article:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...ll-winter.html

Yahoo article:
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/camp...151726829.html

Battle of the Blades blog:
    http://www.cbc.ca/battle/2013/04/battle-is-back.html

Battle of the Blades on Twitter:
    @CBCBattle
    #BattleisBack

vCash
    Found this on GoldenSkate: https://twitter.com/LadretDoug/statu...44482495270913

All my Canuck friends and family watch and vote for @SAVEY49 & Jessica Dube in BOTB4! Savy's my latest NHL figure skating student

6:34 PM - 1 Sep 13 from Ontario, CA
    The first episode will air on Sept. 22, 2013.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Not summer :(
    vCash
    That would be Brian Savage...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Yay! Sudbury representing again! Tessa Bonhomme last year, and now Brian Savage.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I guess CBC finally noticed that musical theatre faux-auditions don't draw viewers like skaters and hockey players do....
    And George Crabtree! Although Harper is a major fan of Murdoch Mysteries, I suspect it's te co-production money from GB that's behind the expanded season.

Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    He's not very big (so I don't know how he'd do with the lifts) and seems to be a pretty private person though, so not sure that he'd go for it, but would certainly love to see him do it!
    I don't think it will be an issue, since timing and stability is key. Also, hockey payers can have muscle mass that figure skaters can't, since they don't have to worry about jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehog View Post
    I suggest Barbara Underwood as a judge. She coaches power skating to NHLers. She lives in Toronto where the show is produced. She's a retired pairs figure skater and a former competitor on the show. She's a former TV commentator. Ticks all the boxes for qualifications.
    Except the gushing doofus part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    No kidding - they could have run it Saturday nights in the HNIC slot and I bet it would have done great.
    And thinking about the missed opportunity to expand the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Paul Coffey would be good. He was always considered one of the best skaters in the NHL and he played defence so he has some size to him.
    I guess my second all-time favorite Jari Kurri is too busy GM-ing the Finnish National Team. (Jean Ratelle's a little old.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast