vCash

Beautiful art at new Sky Train at Phoenix airport

I can't wait to see this. The pictures are beautiful.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...na-spirit.html

When I visited Phoenix before I moved here, I was impressed by the art I could see on/from the highways. The Sky Train is brand new to Phoenix Airport and it seems they have maintained the uniqueness of Arizona there also

ETA: It seems the first link is showing a video now. For the pictures of the art work please use this one.

http://www.azcentral.com/photo/Commu...xCentral/25143.
    Last edited by Vash01; 04-03-2013 at 09:12 PM.

vCash
    Oooooooo... nice!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    But they're gonna let people like WALK on that?! It's too pretty to walk on!

vCash
    Nice to see some creativity in what is usually very dull and boring environments. I think kids would love to walk and jump all over it
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Nice to see some creativity in what is usually very dull and boring environments. I think kids would love to walk and jump all over it
    The first thing that impressed me about Arizona was the creativity at the most unusual places- like walls or landscaping with arts by the side of highways, or bridges.

vCash
    Looks like they removed the pictures. Now there is a video instead. Bummer.

ETA: Here are the pictures I had posted yesterday:

http://www.azcentral.com/photo/Commu...xCentral/25143

vCash
    Thanks for the link to the pictures. It's easier to appreciate the artwork from them than from the video.

I like the topographic walkway the best. The leaves on the wall are nice too, but I think the topographic walkway fits better with the airport theme of travel.

vCash
    Very, very expensive. I'd rather see less expensive and community participation art myself. Like when kids paint tiles and they're used as features in a well, or homeless/disadvantaged people are given a wall to design and paint.

I didn't really like any of these, or think it was anything special. I probably like it better than standard white, but for the cost, I think it could be done differently to still not be white (and look good) and cost less. I wonder how much of the cost was actual artist fees?

vCash
    I see your point, although I do think it absolutely is something special. I love art featuring vivid colors, though, so maybe it's me.

Who knows, maybe the art will inspire people to take better care of the space, leading to lower maintenance costs, more people keeping their cool, less need for law enforcement, more reasonable relations between airlines, transport and customers, etc. It's hard to quantify these types of dividends but they shouldn't be minimized.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    It's all so beautiful. AZ is famous for it's artist communities; I grew up in Scottsdale with lots of trips to Sedona, Jerome and Tucson. It fits that they used artwork.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I see your point, although I do think it absolutely is something special. I love art featuring vivid colors, though, so maybe it's me.

Who knows, maybe the art will inspire people to take better care of the space, leading to lower maintenance costs, more people keeping their cool, less need for law enforcement, more reasonable relations between airlines, transport and customers, etc. It's hard to quantify these types of dividends but they shouldn't be minimized.
    May be it will inspire kids to pursue art, instead of wasting their time on meaningless things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

Maybe art at half the price could do the same thing? Maybe free art could do the same thing? Maybe making it all red could do the same thing, or purple, or green? If businesses want to pay millions for this kind of art (and they obviously do), that's their choice. But as a consumer, I'd rather them not pass those costs on - I'd rather pay less for their services.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    May be it will inspire kids to pursue art, instead of wasting their time on meaningless things.
    Again, maybe it will, maybe not. No way to tell. Maybe cheaper art could do the same thing. Maybe community art projects could do the same, and more. What meaningless things are kids wasting their time on? Who should decide what is meaningful and what isn't for kids?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Maybe art at half the price could do the same thing? Maybe free art could do the same thing? Maybe making it all red could do the same thing, or purple, or green? If businesses want to pay millions for this kind of art (and they obviously do), that's their choice. But as a consumer, I'd rather them not pass those costs on - I'd rather pay less for their services.

Again, maybe it will, maybe not. No way to tell. Maybe cheaper art could do the same thing. Maybe community art projects could do the same, and more. What meaningless things are kids wasting their time on? Who should decide what is meaningful and what isn't for kids?
    OK, I get it. You don't care for quality art, and that's your choice.

About kids doing meaningless things- there could be a long list. How about drugs, for instance, or just hanging out, doing nothing? Getting pregnant at 15? Gangs? There are a ton of bad things they could do. YOu don't have to be a genius to decide these are not good things for anyone.

Art is not for everyone, but it could appeal to some, and it could give inspire some, and give focus to their lives.

vCash
    OK, I get it. You don't care for quality art, and that's your choice.
    Thank you for acknowledging that I have a choice, and being condescending at the same time. I don't care for this art. You don't get to decide what quality art is for everyone. I can decide what I feel is good, or quality, art for myself. I can choose what I like and don't like. I think this art is expensive, and I don't like it. I certainly don't think it was worth the money, but again, I wouldn't like it if it was cheap. I certainly think the money could have been better spent, and that if art was wanted, there are several less expensive ways and options that I would support. The business disagrees with me, but I still don't like it. It has nothing to do with quality, and everything to do with personal preference. Some people think that this expensive art will do all of these magical things ("inspire people to take better care of the space, leading to lower maintenance costs, more people keeping their cool, less need for law enforcement, more reasonable relations between airlines, transport and customers", "inspire kids to pursue art"), I think that if this is true (and mostly I don't think it is), cheaper art could possibly do exactly the same things.

About kids doing meaningless things- there could be a long list. How about drugs, for instance, or just hanging out, doing nothing? Getting pregnant at 15? Gangs? There are a ton of bad things they could do. YOu don't have to be a genius to decide these are not good things for anyone.

Art is not for everyone, but it could appeal to some, and it could give inspire some, and give focus to their lives.
    You think a kid walking through this airport and seeing this art will stop them from doing drugs, getting pregnant at 15 or being in a gang? Are you serious? You think seeing this will give someone focus to their life? People will walk through and either like it, not, or not care. I highly doubt it will change anyone's life, or that a 15 year old will see it and suddenly decide to not have unprotected sex, or stop being in a gang or doing drugs. All of these things have meaning, by the way, they're not meaningless - the reasons behind them may not be good, but that doesn't make them meaningless. I think that free art programmes to support children (maybe asking them to be involved in creating art for these spaces) would be much more effective that paying millions for the art in these photos. But each to their own. This company wanted to pay millions for this art, the consumers using this facility will be paying for it, and since that will likely never be me, it doesn't matter. I do wonder if there was an option to walk through a plain white airport and pay less or this airport and pay more, whether people would pay. I would think most wouldn't. Like many things in life, the costs are just passed along. C'est la vie. But I don't have to like it.

And I actually think hanging out and doing "nothing" are really important things for children and adults alike, not meaningless or time wasting at all.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 04-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.

vCash
    Never a dull moment here.

vCash
    It will only encourage kids who have to go to the airport, maybe they should have put it in a few schools and see how that went. Airports are utilitarian.

vCash
    Never a dull moment here.
    Very restrained response - admirable!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The Phoenix Skytrain started today. I hope to go for a ride, just to see it. I don't normally go to the places this stops at.

This, from an article in the local newspaper:

"Visibly giddy, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton wasted no hyperbole as he held onto a pole during Sky Train's debut ride. Shortly after 9:30 a.m., as the train glided from the 44th Street station, he shouted above the din of guests and news cameras that had joined the first trip.

"This is one short ride for man, but one giant leap for Phoenix!" Stanton said. Nearby, Phoenix Aviation Director Danny Murphy, Vice Mayor Bill Gates and Councilman Tom Simplot laughed as the train climbed to its highest point. Sky Train is the only system in the world to have a bridge that spans an active airport taxiway."

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It certainly makes travel a more enjoyable experience when you have airports that are so aesthetically pleasing. Kudos!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I just returned from a trip but did not get to ride the skytrain (because I didn't need to). May be on my next trip -or someday- I will travel very light and just take a ride on that train, so I get to see the artwork. I did see it from a distance, going about its own business.