View Poll Results: Can Artur Gachinski become Russia's top Men's singles skater?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.16%
  • No

34 53.97%
  • Don't know

10 15.87%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Kovtun was pretty good at Euros IMO, maybe not amazing but his scores were strong and he hit his quad in the SP and two in the FS along with two 3a. And while I feel bad about how Gatchinski was treated last season...two wrongs don't make a right. Kovtun doesn't deserve that kind of treatment and neither did Gatchinski last season. And I'm not sure skaters wishes are taken into consideration when making assignments. Farris may have wanted to go to 4CC and wasn't given the option, and maybe Kovtun wanted to go to JW but after doing well at Euros the Fed decided he was the best hope for senior Worlds and would be going there instead. Kovtun did not send himself to Euros or Worlds and my guess is USFS did not give Farris or Hicks the option to compete at 4CCs...

vCash
    In fact, it's probably done even MORE damage to Gachinski's psyche, seeing Kovtun get away with it, and knowing that he beat Kovtun at Nationals even when he was skating like rubbish.
    Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the Federation didn't pick Gachinski to go to Canada because just imagine what he would have felt like and how it would have reflected upon him at home if he had had a new failure at Worlds - the second season in a row - and judging by how he scored at his latest competition, he wouldn't have finished much higher than Kovtun in London. At least Gachinski now shares the "blame" with Kovtun. lol And it might have done good to Gachinski's psyche though to leave that competition, the name of which I can't remember, with the gold medal round his neck, even if it was a small competition. Sometimes all the worst is for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Which is all very nice but doesn't help Gachinski who was browbeaten and dumped on and criticised and harangued after Worlds...and saw Voronov and Kovtun get away with it scot-free.

In fact, it's probably done even MORE damage to Gachinski's psyche, seeing Kovtun get away with it, and knowing that he beat Kovtun at Nationals even when he was skating like rubbish.

I wonder if the RuFed looked at the USFSA and regretted what they did. USFSA could have sent Joshua Farris to 4CCs, pushed the transition to Senior like they did with Kovtun, but instead they let him fulfil his wish to go and win the Junior World Championship. Had the RuFed sent Kovtun to JWC, who knows what would have happened? Kovtun would have been pretty well guaranteed a medal.
    Sending kovtun to jwc would have been better. Who says it's good for kovtun to have such an awful performance at seniors worlds? Being pushed for something he didn't earn and then fails at in a spectacular way. But he was actually good in Jrs. Now he has this awful performance as part of history where he failed at everything. He neve showed any indication he was ready for seniors.

Gachinski beat him at 2013 nationals and it didn't matter because the federation was all about a belief that kovtun was amazing so it could be a good rivalry. Is there a point where kovtun beats gachinski and/or actually earns a trip to euros or worlds?

vCash
    I guess all we can hope for next year is that if Plushenko's body does not hold out the selection for Sochi is going to be fair and objective and everyone gets an equal shot.

Yeah, dreaming, I know. But then maybe after the scrutiny and criticism of their selection policies this year, Russia will be a tad more careful next year.

vCash
    I would like to see Voronov make it to the Olympics considering it was ridiculous he wasnt sent in 2010. As for Gachinski being up with Fernandez at his best I highly doubt that. Gachinski did skate his very best at the 2012 Europeans and was crushed by an old Plushenko (who did skate very well mind you, as did Gachinski). However Fernandez from this years Europeans for instance would have almost certainly beaten the Plushenko of even the 2012 Europeans. Fernandez has his imperfections, but the things he is weak in are all things Gachinski lacks as much or more. I cant think of a single thing Gachinski at his best would do better, and he is obviously less consistent of the two too.

vCash
    To be the top Russian man he doesn't have to be better fernandez. I don't get why Fernandez and hanyu entered this topic? No one in Russia is as good as Fernandez that has a future after 2014 right now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    To be the top Russian man he doesn't have to be better fernandez. I don't get why Fernandez and hanyu entered this topic? No one in Russia is as good as Fernandez that has a future after 2014 right now!
    That is true but I am sure Russia would like to see their next #1 be competitive with people like Fernandez and Hanyu, and it is probably upsetting to them that person isnt really there yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That is true but I am sure Russia would like to see their next #1 be competitive with people like Fernandez and Hanyu, and it is probably upsetting to them that person isnt really there yet.
    It probably is! But is the point that because gachinski and kovtun have failed that they will never have the federation support to be he number one man? Especially with gachinski? So like even if gachinski beats kovtun again it wouldn't matter? He's never Going to worlds ever again? and if a skater next season in the jrgpf has a season like kovtun did- say kolyda that they would become number one even if they come in fifth at nationals like kovtun? I just feel it is very very possible gachinski can be Russian champ! Maybe even beat kovtun at euros maybe.

vCash
    Look at this picture! http://twitter.com/szhurova/status/3...037824/photo/1 this was taken today on Plushy's show. He is taller than Plushy! I think he had mental problem and he sudden growth failure. Go Artur! I believe in him!
    Last edited by lala; 04-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    It's a little hard to tell, because of the angle of the photo and also Artur is standing further back than Plushy, but just on the face of it (and also "measuring" them with my fingers) Artur does indeed look a LOT taller than Plushy, which definitely was not the case last season. (Plushy also has his head tilted down in the photo, but not enough to make a difference, IMO).

Although, lala, I don't think "growth failure" is the word you're looking for A failure would imply that he didn't grow. A growth "spurt" is what has happened. Mishin did mention a "second adolescence" during the season so I wonder if he went all mopey teenager again. You know, with that kind of - hormonal imblanace? - I can't quite find the right words, but reverting back to an early-teen mentality rather than an adult's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    It's a little hard to tell, because of the angle of the photo and also Artur is standing further back than Plushy, but just on the face of it (and also "measuring" them with my fingers) Artur does indeed look a LOT taller than Plushy, which definitely was not the case last season. (Plushy also has his head tilted down in the photo, but not enough to make a difference, IMO).

Although, lala, I don't think "growth failure" is the word you're looking for A failure would imply that he didn't grow. A growth "spurt" is what has happened. Mishin did mention a "second adolescence" during the season so I wonder if he went all mopey teenager again. You know, with that kind of - hormonal imblanace? - I can't quite find the right words, but reverting back to an early-teen mentality rather than an adult's.
    Maybe you are right! BTW I would like to see him in good shape in the next season. And I believe he can do it! In this poll too much the "no". I think he will be Russia's top Men's singles skater.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Certainly not easy when compared to the Russian greats like Yagudin and Plushenko! Not easy for Gachinski not easy for any upcoming male skaters! Maybe that's the PROBLEM ... to be always expected to step into the shoes of Yagudin or Plushenko.
    ITA!! For so many years, Gachinski was touted as 'the next Plushenko.." How are you NOT going to fail?? How about let's NOT put THAT kind of pressure on any kid coming up in a sport as competitive as this one. There is only one Plushenko. One Yagudin. Gachinski is simply 'Artur Gachinski'..no number necessary. And he has the goods. Now, he just needs to finish the work he started in Slovenia. He isn't there yet, but with time and care, attention to the finer aspects of skating, he CAN be. And I hope to see him topping the heap next season. I believe in him. Now all he has to do is work, and to believe in himself.

vCash
    No. He doesnt have either the athletic talent or artistry of Kovtun, and even though both are headcasey, Artur is the bigger headcase of the two. The federation also prefers Kovtun. Kovtun is younger. So almost no chance.

vCash
    I don't know. In a recent video from this summer that I saw of him, he does look better, but Kovtun is still improving too, and was 4th in the world. There's also Voronov and Menshov to worry about, although they might retire before the next Olympics. It seems like the Russian men like to continue into their thirties lately though (including Plush). I know Voronov is not 30 yet, but he is getting close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestercat View Post
    No. He doesnt have either the athletic talent or artistry of Kovtun, and even though both are headcasey, Artur is the bigger headcase of the two. The federation also prefers Kovtun. Kovtun is younger. So almost no chance.
    *snort*

Go actually WATCH Gachinski and Kovtun jump. If you have eyes, the difference is obvious. Gachinski's jumps are a thousand times better. Now that his injuries are healed, he can work on landing them again.

Kovtun is only a year younger than Gachinski.

Gachinski:
    - 2010 Junior Worlds bronze
    - 2010 Russian National silver medallist
    - 2011 Senior Worlds bronze
    - 2011 Russian National silver medallist
    - 2012 European silver medallist

Kovtun:

- 2012 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion
    - 2013 Russian National Champion

vCash
    Kovtun is working on all different quads though and can do the quad salchow. That is why I favor him in jumps over Gachinski. Along with being more consistent. He also is way more artistic than Gachinski who only has jumps.

vCash
    I liked gachinski artistry in pink Floyd and St. Louis blues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestercat View Post
    Kovtun is working on all different quads though and can do the quad salchow. That is why I favor him in jumps over Gachinski. Along with being more consistent. He also is way more artistic than Gachinski who only has jumps.
    Do you actually watch figure skating?

Gachinski was capable, before his injuries, of doing all the quads up to and including Lutz. In fact, they were already plotting to put the quad loop in before things went off the rails.

Kovtun does the quad Salchow, yes...the ugliest quad Salchow I've ever seen.

And anyone who claims "Gachinski is only jumps" very obviously doesn't watch him. St Louis Blues, Pink Floyd, The Bolt, The Demon, Anna Karenina - he's so much more than jumps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12