View Poll Results: Can Artur Gachinski become Russia's top Men's singles skater?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.16%
  • No

34 53.97%
  • Don't know

10 15.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Can Artur Gachinski now move on to become Russia's top Men's singles skater?

Given Artur Gachinski's recent upturn in form, can he now use this as a platform from which to become Russia's top Men's singles skater and fulfil the promise he showed when winning a Bronze medal at 2011 Worlds? He certainly has the ability, but problems of various kinds have held him back over the last 2 years. Has he though now turned the corner?

vCash
    It's too early to tell. I would love to see Artur realize his potential.

vCash
    Too soon to know. I believe that he and Kovtun will be able to become more solid competitors post Sochi. With another talented Russian man now in the picture it won't easy for Artur to be Russias #1, But I think that if he and Maxim start an on ice rivalry it would push them to achieve great results heading into 2018 and bring back a Russian men's field that is competitive internationally.

vCash
    We need a "back off him" option.

Come on guys, the poor guy has only just managed to skate two clean programs for the first time in over a year. Let's let him focus on rebuilding himself before we get into the "next big thing" stuff. I, for one, would be more than happy just to see him go through next season skating clean and landing his jumps. He's young enough that 2018 is an option.

And DimaToe: Not everyone responds to an on-ice rivalry in the same way.

vCash
    Maybe, too soon to tell. He has the ability to though

vCash
    It's too early and not to be negative about his skating at the event he just won but he singled a jump so I don't think singling can happen in a "clean" skate. So he's putting quads and 3a's together and not falling so that's good but it's early. Look how fast he can go from silver at euros to 18th at worlds. Same thing with kovtun who gachinski best at Russian nationals. Has a euros free skate of some quality then falls doubles and singles jumps at worlds and places 17th. With skaters of this level of inconsistency menshov could be Russian champion again as he can beat both no problem. Now menshov may retire after 2014 but maybe voronov will continue. With no plushenko, menshov or voronov competing at a Russian nationals maybe they will become the top 2 or maybe zhan bush will? Or if not zhan Bush than mikhail kolyda. It's wide open!

vCash
    Zhan Bush, Voronov the standards are so low
    also the junior who won Triglav is also promising

vCash
    Too many no votes! He can't be number 1 in Russia at any point from 2014 to 2018?? Lol of course he can. He was 4th in 2013!!

vCash
    Yes, he can.

vCash
    I don't think anyone can answer the question ''yes" or "no", maybe "too early to tell" would be more appropriate at this point in time? The more so as I wouldn't call Gachinski's total score of 210 at his most recent competition a real upturn in his career. It would help Gachinski a lot if he had stronger components in his bag because the jumps don't always work. Under 67 on the second mark seems pretty low for a free skate with one quad, two triple axels and no falls if we think that Yuzuru Hanyu can score by even ten points higher on PC even when he bombs and Yuzuru often struggles through his long program. I know Gachinski won't be competing with Hanyu for Russia's man no.1 but just wanted to point out an area where Artur would need some serious improvement IMO.

vCash
    Donno. He seems to have stagnated for whatever reasons and if that continues, it may be quite unlikely that he will get out of the doldrums which is unfortunate as he was very promising in 2011. Hope he sorts out his problems and get back into form. Otherwise, he is no where near Hanyu (most likely the one to beat post Sochi) in the future.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Donno. He seems to have stagnated for whatever reasons and if that continues, it may be quite unlikely that he will get out of the doldrums which is unfortunate as he was very promising in 2011. Hope he sorts out his problems and get back into form. Otherwise, he is no where near Hanyu (most likely the one to beat post Sochi) in the future.
    I agree. But Hanyu is not that consistent, and if Gachinski skates clean, he can be good enough.
    I think part of the problem is confidence. I have the feeling that Gachinski needs more support, to be more confident, and more consistent. Or is it just me transferring my own fears. I wouldn't like to be a russian male skater actually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I think part of the problem is confidence. I have the feeling that Gachinski needs more support, to be more confident, and more consistent. Or is it just me transferring my own fears. I wouldn't like to be a russian male skater actually.
    Certainly not easy when compared to the Russian greats like Yagudin and Plushenko! Not easy for Gachinski not easy for any upcoming male skaters! Maybe that's the PROBLEM ... to be always expected to step into the shoes of Yagudin or Plushenko.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Certainly not easy when compared to the Russian greats like Yagudin and Plushenko! Not easy for Gachinski not easy for any upcoming male skaters! Maybe that's the PROBLEM ... to be always expected to step into the shoes of Yagudin or Plushenko.
    That and I think the "you had one bad competition, YOU'RE DUMPED YOU'RE WORTHLESS YOU LET THE WHOLE COUNTRY DOWN" rhetoric doesn't help either...

I notice Kovtun is suspiciously free of blame. Perhaps who your coach is makes a difference as to how much pressure is dumped on you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    That and I think the "you had one bad competition, YOU'RE DUMPED YOU'RE WORTHLESS YOU LET THE WHOLE COUNTRY DOWN" rhetoric doesn't help either...

I notice Kovtun is suspiciously free of blame. Perhaps who your coach is makes a difference as to how much pressure is dumped on you.
    Well, the expectation levels were different. Gachinski bombed at Worlds the year after winning a medal & coming off a medal at Europeans, Kovtun was in his second ever senior international event.

I'm not sure if Gachinski can really get to the top internationally. Leaving aside his current jumping issues I don't think he's got the skating skills or interpretation of Hanyu or Fernandez & I doubt he'll really develop in those areas under Mishin. In Russia however, he & Kovtun should be battling it out to be top man - Pluskenko, Voronov & Menshov will all probably retire after Sochi and there doesn't seem to be anyone coming up behind Kovtun & Gachinski who can threaten them at the moment.

vCash
    I don't see Gachinski posting a score of 95+ in the short program like Hanyu even if he (Gachinski) were at the top of his game. But I feel Gachinski would have been right up there with Fernandez by now if he had made steady progress instead of actually regressing since 2012 Europeans.

I found Mikhail Kolyada to be quite a promise in some respects when I saw him earlier this season. Kolyada has good speed, he can skate multi-directionally, he can skate on one foot and he can jump with transitions. But Kolyada would need the quadruple jump in both of his programs for the judges to take him into account for the national title. And a bit better packaging as well.

vCash
    Gachinski has already beaten kovtun at Russian nationals. He doesn't have to be competitive with hanyu or Fernandez to beat kovtun. If gachinski continues to beat kovtun at Russian nationals he can do so without being competitive with fernandez and hanyu. And if gachinski is beating kovtun it surely means he isn't competitive with hanyu and Fernandez so why would russia continue to support kovtun?
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 04-04-2013 at 08:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

Perhaps the fed learned there lesson. It appeared TAT was quite angry with Kovtun at Worlds though, albeit in a motherly way. But much like Gatchinski last season, Kovtun had been strong all season leading up to Worlds where he faltered, after seeing what happened to Gatchinski's skating and confidence after all the schlack he got last season for bombing at Worlds, despite the Euro silver and World bronze the year before, and considering the age of Menshov, injury of Plush, and lukewarm international showings of Voronov, maybe the Fed was like "Oh shit, we don't want to ruin another teenager's confidence and potentially career by pulling the mean card again." That is my best guess as to what happened. Giving Gatchinski the cold shoulder just made things worse, so why would they risk doing the same thing with Kovtun?

vCash
    Kovtun wasn't strong all season! That was the controversy of even sending him to euros. At russian nationals he lost to plushenko, voronov, menshov and gachinski! Then in the euros short he did a double axel. Zayaked in the fs. His worlds performance was always possible because of his senior skating. His jr skating was good but at seniors wrong turn!
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 04-04-2013 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Giving Gatchinski the cold shoulder just made things worse, so why would they risk doing the same thing with Kovtun?
    Which is all very nice but doesn't help Gachinski who was browbeaten and dumped on and criticised and harangued after Worlds...and saw Voronov and Kovtun get away with it scot-free.

In fact, it's probably done even MORE damage to Gachinski's psyche, seeing Kovtun get away with it, and knowing that he beat Kovtun at Nationals even when he was skating like rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Kovtun wasn't strong all season! That was the controversy of even sending him to euros. At russian nationals he lost to plushenko, voronov, menshov and gachinski! Then in the euros short he did a double axel. Zayaked in the fs. His worlds performance was always possible because of his senior skating. His jr skating was good but at seniors wrong turn!
    I wonder if the RuFed looked at the USFSA and regretted what they did. USFSA could have sent Joshua Farris to 4CCs, pushed the transition to Senior like they did with Kovtun, but instead they let him fulfil his wish to go and win the Junior World Championship. Had the RuFed sent Kovtun to JWC, who knows what would have happened? Kovtun would have been pretty well guaranteed a medal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast